Paul Murray On Scott Allan, John Eustace Etc

Paul Murray, the Rangers vice-chairman, has hinted strongly that Scott Allan is an Ibrox transfer target by describing him as exactly the type of player that the club should be trying to sign.

Mark Warburton, the new manager, has brought in Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan and hopes to complete a deal with John Eustace, the veteran Englishman, but Rangers have been linked with Allan, the Hibernian midfielder, since the second half of last season.

Allan, 23, has a year left on his contract and Hibernian would resist any approach from their biggest rivals in the coming seasons SPFL Championship promotion race.

But Murray, in an exclusive interview with The Times, described Allan a boyhood Rangers fan who was also linked with the club back in 2011 as the type of signing which would make perfect sense.

"Hes obviously under contract with someone else so we cant talk about him in too much detail but we should be seeking to identify players who can add value to our team and our squad, and bring them in and add further value to them through what we do here. Its like manufacturing where you take the raw material in, add value to it, and get a finished product.

"Scott Allan is an example of a player I personally think is a very good player, his profile is right as a young guy with a lot of potential, he has played quite a lot of football, and I think hes a player a lot of clubs would like to sign. And obviously there have been opportunities [for Rangers] to sign him in the past which have slipped past.

Eustace, who will be 36 before the end of the year, was a surprising target for Rangers, but he visited Ibrox and Murray Park yesterday with his agent before returning south, with talks continuing. Murray said that the club was happy to trust Warburton and David Weir, his assistant.

"One of the mitigating factors against the risks [when signing players] is to buy players Mark and Davie know. In the players weve bought so far and the ones were looking at there is a connection there. That reduces the risk.

"Mark knows Eustace pretty well, knows what he can bring. Im not going to say that John Eustace is like [Andrea] Pirlo but there are people who play in that position who are older players who actually make the ball do the work and are experienced and can help the younger guys.

"I think as long as the player is fit and he'll have to have a proper medical then I dont see why that cant be an addition to the team. If you get the balance right with youth, vitality and energy, alongside experience, thats a good combination."

From The Times.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk is cheap, I know we fans want to know what's going on but the time for board members and management staff to be talking about other team's players are when we've signed them. If you want Scott Allan, he'll cost money so pay Hivs what it'll cost and sign him. if not, shut the fuck up about him.

Same goes for Eustace, if he's played at Championship level for most of his days and a club like Rangers come in for him at 35 and he needs time to think about it....move on please!

Caught the tail end of an interview with Allan on Sky Sports earlier. Not 100% sure but seemed to be hinting that he'd be seeing out his contract.

Cmon did you really expect him to say 'Aye I dinnae want to play for hibs, I'll be a Rangers/Celtic player in a few days' especially after we messed him about when McCoist was here. He will be waiting for a bid to come in just like the rest of us.

Talk is cheap, I know we fans want to know what's going on but the time for board members and management staff to be talking about other team's players are when we've signed them. If you want Scott Allan, he'll cost money so pay Hivs what it'll cost and sign him. if not, shut the fuck up about him.

Same goes for Eustace, if he's played at Championship level for most of his days and a club like Rangers come in for him at 35 and he needs time to think about it....move on please!

Agreed on both points, especially Eustace. I don't know him as a player however any 35 year old should be biting our hand off to be playing at Ibrox regardless of the league

You'd think so but he'll be talking to his family tbh.

Cmon did you really expect him to say 'Aye I dinnae want to play for hibs, I'll be a Rangers/Celtic player in a few days' especially after we messed him about when McCoist was here. He will be waiting for a bid to come in just like the rest of us.

Seemed a bit more than that tbh mate but as I said I never saw the full interview. What I did see though was a clip of him and a clip of Stubbs afterwards that didn't fill me with confidence that he'll be moving any time soon.

We seem to be rather slow on the signings front. I've checked out other clubs in our division, as well as other Scottish clubs and considering how many players we've got to replace after the cull, I think we need to get some signed now. I'd be happy if they all came on the same day, I just want to see more and forget all this 'we have to be careful' pish.

We need players. If we can't get them we need to know why?

Seemed a bit more than that tbh mate but as I said I never saw the full interview. What I did see though was a clip of him and a clip of Stubbs afterwards that didn't fill me with confidence that he'll be moving any time soon.

Aye well TBH I wouldn't blame the lad if he told us to GTF after we got his hopes up then left him high and dry. But all Hibs talk about not needing to sell is posturing (they are offering players reduced terms to resign ffs), they need money especially after poor attendances last year and more so if they want to even consider strengthening.

We seem to be rather slow on the signings front. I've checked out other clubs in our division, as well as other Scottish clubs and considering how many players we've got to replace after the cull, I think we need to get some signed now. I'd be happy if they all came on the same day, I just want to see more and forget all this 'we have to be careful' pish.We need players. If we can't get them we need to know why?

We went out and signed the first available players before. Got bodies in. It didn't work out well at all.

It's refreshing we are thinking longer term on signings than just throwing money about.

Agree with this .Ally was a master at this .Seems King has same traits

If he doesn't want to sign then fine, we'll move onto other targets. But if he's taking a bit of time to decide whether to up-root his family etc then I think that's fine as well.

I agree, so comment on that rather than worrying that he's 35 or Warburton knows him, etc. We need players in so can't be fannying about waiting on people deciding whatever the reason is. He's no world class player that is worth waiting on.

I can understand some of the frustration from some but I think it's a good sign that we're taking time over any signings, It shows the manager has a philosophy and a plan regarding what type of players to bring in. We need to have a bit of faith in his judgement.

We went out and signed the first available players before. Got bodies in. It didn't work out well at all.

It's refreshing we are thinking longer term on signings than just throwing money about.

I know all that, I'm just getting nervous that we'll end up with very few in and be told that our present youths are good enough. I want the youths to be given their chance, but are they all ready just yet.

I just don't trust businessmen and I'm panicking over the their view of costs, because if ST's are numerous enough, well......

I know all that, I'm just getting nervous that we'll end up with very few in and be told that our present youths are good enough. I want the youths to be given their chance, but are they all ready just yet.

I just don't trust businessmen and I'm panicking over the their view of costs, because if ST's are numerous enough, well......

Fair enough.

The players we do bring in will all have similar traits. They will have a strong mentality, to cope with playing for Rangers, and they will want to play for Rangers. MW and DW have been clear these are the attributes they are looking for, along with being good players.

I'd rather have 3 signings desperate to do well and want to be here, than 7 signings with half of them just happy for a pay day.

He got his previous club on the brink of promotion to the EPL with one of the smallest squads in the championship.

I wouldnt be worried about numbers as its clear we are going to bring in 4 or 5 more faces before the window is shut (its still June). The more we get in the next few weeks the better of course but its clear every player is being bought on merit and in the view they can improve our side which is the most important thing.