What is the news nowadays, about developing a European scouting network for us?

The way I see it we are banking on W&W for their contacts in England for BPL youths for a year, maybe two.

Which is fine by me for the next year or so, but can anyone shed any light into the proposed development of this important factor.

What is the news nowadays, about developing a European scouting network for us?

The way I see it we are banking on W&W for their contacts in England for BPL youths for a year, maybe two.

Which is fine by me for the next year or so, but can anyone shed any light into the proposed development of this important factor.

Mark Warburton has many contacts within top European clubs due to his NextGen involvement,plus the facts he studied coaching methods at these clubs and their youth academy setups, so considering that a big part of his remit at Rangers was to change the entire philosophy and shape of our club from top to bottom, I'm sure that things are already happening in the background that are being done quietly with no fuss or shouting from the rooftops.

Mark Warburton plans for the long term, not the short term and he does it in a calm manner.

Mark Warburton has many contacts within top European clubs due to his NextGen involvement,plus the facts he studied coaching methods at these clubs and their youth academy setups, so considering that a big part of his remit at Rangers was to change the entire philosophy and shape of our club from top to bottom, I'm sure that things are already happening in the background that are being done quietly with no fuss or shouting from the rooftops.

Mark Warburton plans for the long term, not the short term and he does it in a calm manner.

Definitely.A lot was and has been made about a lack of scouting system yet MW has managed to bring 7 players contracted and 3 on loan without a scouting system as such.Only my opinion but I think the lack of scouting system was an excuse used by some to cover up for the piss poor players that were brought to the club and for the shit performances some of these players put in.MW has already stated that moves are afoot to get the scouting system up and running but as he said himself he is not going to rush out as he could do and appoint 20 average scouts,he would rather get it right with the right people.He also said that himself and DW have enough targets and contacts to work with at the moment while they are addressing the scouting system.

We need a world class scouting network due to the fact we play in the league we're in. There are some amazing bargains out there, I always give this example when talking of scouting. Lech Poznan once paid 400,000 euros for a striker by the name of Robert Lewandowski. We have to find our Lewandowski's for that price to sell on.

MW has spoken of doing the right thing by the loan signings, so that the players and their club see the benefits. His stated aim is to get even better players from these clubs as we get into the premier league and Europe.

Its a good strategy, and will develop well.

If we're talking about a handful of loans each season I'm more than happy for them to come from the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. Will likely take players less time to settle coming from down South than from overseas too.

In terms of permanent signings I'd tend to agree to looking further afield too. That likely won't happen though until we've sorted the UK scouting situation. Hopefully that's not too far off.

We need a world class scouting network due to the fact we play in the league we're in. There are some amazing bargains out there, I always give this example when talking of scouting. Lech Poznan once paid 400,000 euros for a striker by the name of Robert Lewandowski. We have to find our Lewandowski's for that price to sell on.

I agree but as MW has said it has to be the right scouting sytem,one which as you have pointed out can find us a Lewandowski and not one like the last scouting system which unearthed such gems as James Beattie to name but one.

Serious investment in scouting is essential if we want to follow the Dutch/Portuguese model of developing and selling-on young talent while being able to compete at a decent level in Europe.

An even higher priority, though, is serious investment in our youth development / academy, and development at Auchenhowie to ensure we maximise the potential of the production line.

The appointments we've been making recently point towards both being addressed. If we are going to see £15M - £20M investment from share issues / directors in the next few months, these are the areas where I'd like to see the majority of it go.

I totally agree, some of the money celtic have made from players is crazy, if we find a couple of gems that can be sold for 10million etc I can seen our infrastructure drastically improving.

MW has spoken of doing the right thing by the loan signings, so that the players and their club see the benefits. His stated aim is to get even better players from these clubs as we get into the premier league and Europe.

Its a good strategy, and will develop well.

If we're talking about a handful of loans each season I'm more than happy for them to come from the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. Will likely take players less time to settle coming from down South than from overseas too.

In terms of permanent signings I'd tend to agree to looking further afield too. That likely won't happen though until we've sorted the UK scouting situation. Hopefully that's not too far off.

I was interested in his comments regarding loans, with the first duty being bringing success to Rangers. That gives a responsibility to the whole squad of players, young and older, to see to it that they are good enough to do that.

Grass roots scouting is every bit as important to get the best of Scotlands young players to develop.

The gaffer and Craig Mulholland appear to have a great working relationship and it will begin to bear fruit in the medium to long term should we bring in the proper academy players.

MW has already noticed that Auchenhowie has been a disaster area but he has been making gradual appointments which will hopefully see Auchenhowie being used and giving us the return it was originally set up for and not just being used as a glorified training ground but an actual youth academy.This development in youth is going to take time but I think he is already putting the building blocks in place for years to come.Yes we will never produce a full team of home grown talent but im sure under W&W that if young guys at our academy are good enough they will get the chance which is more than can be said since it opened its doors nearly 14 years ago.

I'm happy to just not worry about anything to be honest, and let Warburton do what he wants.

He's often said in his interviews that apart from getting the right players, it's about the right staff too, i.e coaches, scouts etc, everything geared toward an environment in which players can grow and develop, and new players can come and be part of that.

Serious investment in scouting is essential if we want to follow the Dutch/Portuguese model of developing and selling-on young talent while being able to compete at a decent level in Europe.

An even higher priority, though, is serious investment in our youth development / academy, and development at Auchenhowie to ensure we maximise the potential of the production line.

The appointments we've been making recently point towards both being addressed. If we are going to see £15M - £20M investment from share issues / directors in the next few months, these are the areas where I'd like to see the majority of it go.

Only issue with the Dutch and Portugese model is they have less restrictions on signing non EU players or South American players (mainly Brazil) hold dual nationality with Portugal where as we have work permit issues etc. (Jardel issue)

So its not easy for British clubs to pick up the same young players as say Ajax, Porto etc.

I totally agree, some of the money celtic have made from players is crazy, if we find a couple of gems that can be sold for 10million etc I can seen our infrastructure drastically improving.

That comes as much from their manipulation of the press and champions league exposure than the actual caliber of the player.

Was Hooper really a £5m player? No, but the mhanks, their ex-players in the press and the general media built him up to be that.

Happens all the time across the city and it's something we need to be able to do better.

Only issue with the Dutch and Portugese model is they have less restrictions on signing non EU players or South American players (mainly Brazil) hold dual nationality with Portugal where as we have work permit issues etc. (Jardel issue)

So its not easy for British clubs to pick up the same young players as say Ajax, Porto etc.

Totally agree.

We're definitely more limited in our options and need to run a scaled back model but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I suspect our main markets will be UK, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.

Definitely.A lot was and has been made about a lack of scouting system yet MW has managed to bring 7 players contracted and 3 on loan without a scouting system as such.Only my opinion but I think the lack of scouting system was an excuse used by some to cover up for the piss poor players that were brought to the club and for the shit performances some of these players put in.MW has already stated that moves are afoot to get the scouting system up and running but as he said himself he is not going to rush out as he could do and appoint 20 average scouts,he would rather get it right with the right people.He also said that himself and DW have enough targets and contacts to work with at the moment while they are addressing the scouting system.

If we are honest about it,Sammy, our "scouting system" has been basically non existent for many years regarding youths. Back in the day we basically got a lot of good Protestant youngsters come to us in the hope we sign them, or we bought them from other clubs.

Then as the years progressed we got a few good youngsters from other clubs and abroad, but it still wasn't a "youth academy" set-up.Then with the Souness Revolution almost every player was well known apart from a few that had come through the ranks.

On to the Advocaat then the Walter Smith era and although they brought in some lesser known gems, it was mainly established adult players.

So finally we have got to the stage where it looks as if it's being done in a professional manner that will give us (hopefully) a corridor to attract the best youngsters available that can have a positive effect in the senior ranks later in their career.

I've been involved in football long enough to know that it's real easy "spotting" a good player who has been playing top class football for a few years, but it's a different matter altogether finding a raw rock that can be polished into a Diamond.

Warburton knows the type of people he wants as scouts, now he will have the patience to wait until he gets the right ones. :pipe:

If we are honest about it,Sammy, our "scouting system" has been basically non existent for many years regarding youths. Back in the day we basically got a lot of good Protestant youngsters come to us in the hope we sign them, or we bought them from other clubs.

Then as the years progressed we got a few good youngsters from other clubs and abroad, but it still wasn't a "youth academy" set-up.Then with the Souness Revolution almost every player was well known apart from a few that had come through the ranks.

On to the Advocaat then the Walter Smith era and although they brought in some lesser known gems, it was mainly established adult players.

So finally we have got to the stage where it looks as if it's being done in a professional manner that will give us (hopefully) a corridor to attract the best youngsters available that can have a positive effect in the senior ranks later in their career.

I've been involved in football long enough to know that it's real easy "spotting" a good player who has been playing top class football for a few years, but it's a different matter altogether finding a raw rock that can be polished into a Diamond.

Warburton knows the type of people he wants as scouts, now he will have the patience to wait until he gets the right ones. :pipe:

Have to agree with you I have said on previous posts on different topics we had become lazy in every department of football.lazy in scouting,youth development,tactical changes,training,and progressive football.We were quite happy to let the Hibs and Kilmarnocks do the scouting,development and taking the risks and if we thought they were ok we would go in with the big Rangers cheque book.Trouble with that " buy instant success approach " is that when you find like we did that theres no money to spend you are well and truly fucked herald AM and co.We now have a man who I hope and im sure is putting that to right and taking a long term stratedgy not just one that took us from transfer window to transfer window.

Seem to remember when Souness took over he brought Liverpools cheif scout to Ibrox,now correct me if im wrong but i can't remember Liverpool having unearthing an abundance of great young talent,im very happy with the way things are progressing under W & W.