One For Older Bears...

This will bring back memories for many fans.

can-chronology.jpg

The first also required a special pointy tool which nowadays would be called a dangerous weapon.

142197829_tp.jpg

Don't actually remember the second one. third one was my favourite, breaking of the ring part you could then insert the holding bit sideways between the wee outside gap on the ring and flick it flying up to 10 20 feet up and 40 or 50 yards into the crowd, they were too light to hurt anyone.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of old songs .

A big one in the early 70's was

' oh show them the way to go home

They're tired and want to go to bed

Cos they're only half of a football team

And the other half is dead '

One that stick in my mind is playing Bayern in the 72 semi

We won the war

We won the war

Eey I Oh Ma Daddy O We won the war ! . . . . . . Priceless.

Talking of old songs .

A big one in the early 70's was

' oh show them the way to go home

They're tired and want to go to bed

Cos they're only half of a football team

And the other half is dead '

One that stick in my mind is playing Bayern in the 72 semi

We won the war

We won the war

Eey I Oh Ma Daddy O We won the war ! . . . . . . Priceless.

What about when we sang "Go home ya H***" to the beggars. Changed fuckin days !

When I was a boy I used to think the games only lasted 80 minutes because I usually spent the first 10 minutes of the game outside the Ibrox House waiting on my Dad.

Usually saw the whole game but my dad used to have a quick pint or two in the pub before and after the game too, usually in Merkland Street, Partick, but occasionally if we walked along the PRW at any one of the many bars. Only for a quarter to half an hour, but as a 12 year old "hidden" in a corner chair amongst the other Gers fans with a half of lemonade and a packet of crisps, watching the really auld yins playing dominos, the not so old ones arguing over the fine points of the game, and the younger ones belting out the songs. I thought it was the bees knees.

And of course we did the same after the Bayern Munich semi, straight over by underground to Merkland Street, and in to the nearest pub just in time to see the cellic penalties after extra time in the Inter Milan game. Can vividly remember Dixie Deans skying that ball on the black and white TV in the pub corner. What a night.

Many a guy got slashed with the beer opener. The cans got thrown too and if the edge caught your head it was fuckin' sore and could burst the skin.

Kids used to put a string through the cans. You held the strings in your hand and stood up on the cans. Pulled the cans up against the soles of your feet as you walked with a clip clop sound. It needed a bit of skill.

They also sung "We all live in an Orange submarine" :peanut:

Many a guy got slashed with the beer opener. The cans got thrown too and if the edge caught your head it was fuckin' sore and could burst the skin.

Kids used to put a string through the cans. You held the strings in your hand and stood up on the cans. Pulled the cans up against the soles of your feet as you walked with a clip clop sound. It needed a bit of skill.

They also sung "We all live in an Orange submarine" :peanut:

There was a Kung Fu tv show on the TV starring David Carradine which had a basic version of the ninja throwing star when I was about 12. .

So we used to use the wee pointy beer can tool to notch all the way round the top of the can, ending up with a tin disc with pointy bits and sharp edges all the way round.

Then we'd use it as a weapon in street gang fights.

Between those metal discs, snowballs with stones in them, crossbows firing sharpened up wooden clothes pegs, and headering soaked football bladders, then later avoiding the beer cans and big sherry bottles at football matches. it's a wonder most of us footballsupporters survived the late sixties, earl seventies without serious head injuries.

Amazingly the wee sherry glasses (schooners) and whisky glasses that the more sophisiticated enclosure fans used to steal from the pub and occasionally pour their half bottle into, never got thrown. (I saw quite a few fans casually drinking from the wee glasses they'd brought in when I sometimes ended up in the enclosure for games.)

There was a Kung Fu tv show on the TV starring David Carradine which had a basic version of the ninja throwing star when I was about 12. .

So we used to use the wee pointy beer can tool to notch all the way round the top of the can, ending up with a tin disc with pointy bits and sharp edges all the way round.

Between those metal discs, snowballs with stones in them, crossbows firing sharpened up wooden clothes pegs, and headering soaked football bladders, then later avoiding the beer cans and big sherry bottles at football matches. it's a wonder most of us footballsupporters survived the late sixties, earl seventies without serious head injuries.

Amazingly the wee sherry glasses (schooners) and whisky glasses that the more sophisiticated enclosure fans used to steal from the pub and occasionally pour their half bottle into, never got thrown. (I saw quite a few fans casually drinking from the wee glasses they'd brought in when I sometimes ended up in the enclosure for games.)

ha ha! remember all of that. We put the nails on the train line and the train flattened the nail. You took the rubber washer off a ginger bottle stopper and attached the nail onto your arrow. It then stuck in whatever you fired it at! Another use for the long beer can opener was for mackerel fishing. A hook and a swivel at each end, and a fish for little money.

Standing on the terracing at Shawfield one day, older guy beside us says to his mate in a put-on posh voice " would you care for a glass of port?" To which his mate replied "I don't mind I if I do".

First guy then produces a bottle of Eldorado from one coat pocket, and two wee glasses from the other, pours them a generous measure each and they stand watching the game glass in hand as if they're in the drawing room of some country mansion :D