McKay signs new deal

the goal machine

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So if he agreed a 5 year deal in 2012, its only another 12 months on to that. Effectively its a 2 year contract from May.

Once we get promoted, if he runs riot in the Premiership in the first year, he could potentially run down his contract the following year and we wouldn't get a penny. I find that a bit odd to be honest.

Just now, cushynumber said:

So if he agreed a 5 year deal in 2012, its only another 12 months on to that. Effectively its a 2 year contract from May.

Once we get promoted, if he runs riot in the Premiership in the first year, he could potentially run down his contract the following year and we wouldn't get a penny. I find that a bit odd to be honest.

Or he knows his value will increase if he does well in the top flight and he can sign another new contract.

1 minute ago, the goal machine said:

Or he knows his value will increase if he does well in the top flight and he can sign another new contract.

True. Either way, the club isn't exactly getting a great deal, as with your scenario , we would have to pay more for his services

McKay's agent will know that a kid of his talent could easily be earning 12-15 grand a week in the English leagues

He's probably on a maximum of 5 or 6 now, and maybe doesn't want a long term contract with no prospect of a pay increase

That's about the best case scenario here. The worst is that it's to increase his value when we sell him in the summer

We should try to extend it by another two years next season.  If he refuses, then we put him on the transfer market and sell him while we stll can.

I don't want to see products of our youth set up move on for nothing if they are worth a fee,  I'd rather sell them early than lose them for nothing.

I'd maybe even consider taking bids for him in the summer.

It does look like we're hedging our bets a bit here with the potential to cash in on an early sale.

i hope not as I think that he has genuine potential and with a bit more strength and confidence about him, he could be a good long term prospect to underpin the central core of the team. He has the ability to produce that bit of flair that can change a game and would be a loss.

18 minutes ago, Wawrinka said:

Strange that Halliday and Holt are now tied down to 4 year deals but McKay just 2. The cynic in me would suggest that he doesn't want Rangers holding all the aces in his future

Yeah thats what I think as well. MW can't give the kid enough praise as it is. Hope he doesn't run it down and leave for nothing.

In my opinion, McKay is being kept to see what he can do in the Premiership (and possibly Europe) and then sold on at a decent price. 

For all we know, maybe he's said he wants to play in the English Premiership at a high level, and we can't kid ourselves here... Warburton is also bound for an EPL team at some point. 

You heard it here first. Whatever team MW manages down south in future... McKay will be his first "ex-Rangers" signing... :541: