Periscope Fans on Scotland Tonight

WadeWilson

Just now, Briton said:

They could go back to the days when a replay was played during the week after the initial fixture. 

I'll concede they could do that, but they could also have been able to show those matches that had been live matches shown on tv still televised when they went to a replay; whenever they were played.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's not shambolic scheduling; it was a replay, they couldn't have left it any later. That the first match was shown on tv should have meant that the replay, at a smaller venue as well, should have been shown.  Both our game and the Edinburgh derby would generate a great deal of interest to the football fan here. The rule that states only CL can be shown on television is both absurd, and unfair.

On the point highlighted - about not leaving it later - the Dundee / Dumbarton game is later - next week. Albeit on a CL night again, but surely the Rangers Kilmarnock game could have been "later", i.e. this Monday - and postpone the game this week against QOS? Same applies to the H/H game too. This isn't a dig at you, I'm just asking...

Second, for anyone that can tell me, 10/20 years ago, when a team drew in the Scottish Cup, didn't they used to replay the game at the weekend (postponing whatever league game) instead of a midweek replay? Or am I completely wrong on this point?

Just now, fuckthespl said:

So what did they say about the use of it? The fans who gave us the stream should get the jail, the club booted out of the competition and the fans fined for viewing the stream?

None of that... But they did ask where the submarine was parked.  :power_of_anguish:

1 minute ago, Ryju84 said:

On the point highlighted - about not leaving it later - the Dundee / Dumbarton game is later - next week. Albeit on a CL night again, but surely the Rangers Kilmarnock game could have been "later", i.e. this Monday - and postpone the game this week against QOS? Same applies to the H/H game too. This isn't a dig at you, I'm just asking...

Second, for anyone that can tell me, 10/20 years ago, when a team drew in the Scottish Cup, didn't they used to replay the game at the weekend (postponing whatever league game) instead of a midweek replay? Or am I completely wrong on this point?

I think the Dundee/Dumbarton game should have been this week at the latest. I'm happy about when our replay was played. We shouldn't be postponing a vital match this week so that we have to move a cup replay when we already have a midweek beforehand.

22 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's not shambolic scheduling; it was a replay, they couldn't have left it any later.

13 minutes ago, Briton said:

They could go back to the days when a replay was played during the week after the initial fixture. 

They are now talking of scrapping the traditional replay because of all this. :disappointment: Another blow to tradition and the smaller clubs. 

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/sfa-spfl-discuss-scrapping-scottish-7389658#Cmk8FB45ZQ7poFOs.97

3 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

They are now talking of scrapping the traditional replay because of all this. :disappointment: Another blow to the smaller clubs. 

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/sfa-spfl-discuss-scrapping-scottish-7389658#Cmk8FB45ZQ7poFOs.97

I already think the CL has had an adverse effect on every domestic tournament in football; that is plainly obvious when it comes to the FA cup where a club considers coming fourth in the EPL to be the greater prize than winning the FA Cup; which was once one of the most exciting competitions in the world. Taking away the replay will devalue the SC, in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's not shambolic scheduling; it was a replay, they couldn't have left it any later. That the first match was shown on tv should have meant that the replay, at a smaller venue as well, should have been shown.  Both our game and the Edinburgh derby would generate a great deal of interest to the football fan here. The rule that states only CL can be shown on television is both absurd, and unfair.

Seems like bad scheduling to me? Why not have it on the Monday or last week so people could tune in to all the games and the clubs benefit? Seems pretty amateur unless I'm missing something. 

4 minutes ago, TheBluebells said:

Seems like bad scheduling to me? Why not have it on the Monday or last week so people could tune in to all the games and the clubs benefit? Seems pretty amateur unless I'm missing something. 

I've already agreed that it could have been played last week; but why should we need to play on a Monday just so the CL can have exclusivity? The game in this country needs promoted; to have to big games with no coverage whatsoever is wrong; and it is unfair on clubs who could do with the extra revenue. Had we not needed to play a replay, I would have wanted to watch the Edinburgh derby; I think there would have been a demand for that match had it been a live match. Can you imagine if it had been an Old Firm replay this week, with no coverage?

17 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I already think the CL has had an adverse effect on every domestic tournament in football; that is plainly obvious when it comes to the FA cup where a club considers coming fourth in the EPL to be the greater prize than winning the FA Cup; which was once one of the most exciting competitions in the world. Taking away the replay will devalue the SC, in my opinion.

Agree with every word. (tu)

I read in the comments that Barcelona were allowed to televise their match last night during Champions League matches? Not really a level playing field at all, if true... But I guess we knew that already.

The Champions League lost it's lustre a long time ago for me. Too many people still buy into the hype. It's practically a closed-shop as it is and it's just dull. Can't believe some people say it's a more exciting tournament than even the World Cup. Talk about being brainwashed.

37 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

The league is the be all and end all. Fuck moving or postponing league games just so a cup game is on the TV 

15 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

Agree with every word. (tu)

I read in the comments that Barcelona were allowed to televise their match last night during Champions League matches? Not really a level playing field at all, if true... But I guess we knew that already.

The Champions League lost it's lustre a long time ago for me. Too many people still buy into the hype. It's practically a closed-shop as it is and it's just dull. Can't believe some people say it's a more exciting tournament than even the World Cup. Talk about being brainwashed.

Barca played at 5 

Just now, Johnny Dangerously said:

Some of you older Bears will remember watching world of sport on a Saturday afternoon, waiting for the scores to come in on the tele printer. Was always a nerve wracking experience.

Dicky Davies, shitey wrestling was always on, big daddy and giant haystacks, and the only time I have ever watched downhill skiing. 

15 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Some of you older Bears will remember watching world of sport on a Saturday afternoon, waiting for the scores to come in on the tele printer. Was always a nerve racking experience.

Always Grandstand for me.

4 hours ago, cushynumber said:

some of the old theme tunes were brilliant. Grandstands, ski sunday and The superstars were brilliant

i wonder where Brian Jacks is now?

Apparently he lives in Thailand. Managing a Hotel/Apartment building.

Used to take a radio to the local football pitch and we'd play headers and volleys listening to second half commentary on Radio 2 then it was Sports Report for the final scores. 

15 hours ago, ThatNightInFlorence said:

I wish I had known this was going ahead last night as it would have been a novel way of watching the football. 

Instead I switched my phone off and watched films up until midnight then caught the game on Rangers TV using a VPN. Quite enjoyed it tbh, cracking open a beer at midnight on a Tuesday :D

For me here in the States it wasn't too bad as it started at 7pm and I was able to have a drink as I didn't have to drive later.  :21: