Scott Brown Is A Poor Man's Murdo MacLeod

FSM

Says Davie Provan in a rather decent article. :lol:

WITH his skinhead and Roy Keane “stare”, Scott Brown looks a proper hardman for the television cameras in the tunnel pre-match.

You can imagine kids running behind the sofa at the sight of the midfielder ready to rumble. Not the type you’d want to meet in a dark alley after closing time, that’s for sure.

What a disappointment then to discover Broony is really a sensitive wee soul. Brown needed a wheelbarrow for his bottom lip earlier this week when rounding on former Hoops striker Andy Walker.

According to the midfielder, TV analyst Walker is “a poor man’s Gary Neville.” I’ll bet Andy hasn’t slept since!

Seems Walker’s criticism of Celtic this season has struck a nerve with the club captain who believes the telly pundit should be doing more to “stick up for the club and manager a bit more”.

Maybe he wants Andy in a club blazer and cheerleader outfit when he’s doing his stuff for Sky.

I know Andy has an affection for the club but it’s difficult to see how he could talk up this Celtic side without losing credibility. Either way, Brown and Co haven’t done their talking where it counts — on the pitch.

Scott has captained a side that lost to Malmo in the Champions League qualifiers, then finished bottom of their Europa League group without a win.

Any prospect of a league and cup Double disappeared with defeats to Ross County and a second-tier Rangers.

What does Brown expect? A ticker-tape parade down London Road?

Walker isn’t there to be a Hoops lickspittle, he’s paid to call it down the middle. If that upsets Brown he’s at the wrong club.

At Celtic, stick goes with the territory if you’re not performing and this Ronny Deila team has failed supporters miserably.

Childishly, Brown added that Walker “didn’t win that much when he was here”.

He might be right, but Andy’s goals helped Celtic to an unforgettable Double at a time Rangers had the money to bury their rivals.

That Billy McNeill’s Bhoys did it in the club’s centenary year will see that 1988 vintage revered long after the current team is forgotten.

As for demanding less criticism of Deila? If the midfielder had turned up for the Old Firm semi-final, Deila might not have had to resign.

That was the final straw for supporters. A day when the manager needed his captain to justify his reputation.

Before the game we had Broony giving Andy Halliday the Keano eyes in an attempt to intimidate the Gers man. Fine, but when the game started Brown was the one reported missing.

That was no surprise to me. When was the last time Broony turned in a big occasion performance for Celtic or Scotland?

Yeah, Gordon Strachan is a big fan, but where was Scott when the crunch Euro ties had to be won? When did he last influence a Champions League game for Celtic?

He’s better known on the continent for that stupid red card swipe at Neymar that cost Celts any chance of beating Barcelona three years ago.

You’ll have gathered I’ve never bought into the Brown hype. As a kid at Hibs he looked a good prospect. He got about the pitch well, liked a tackle and hated losing. His distribution wasn’t great but time was on his side.

Nearly a decade on that potential remains unfulfilled. Put it this way, I would have had ructions with him if he’d been in our midfield.

He runs with the ball when he should be popping it off early. You’ll rarely see him find a forward pass that hurts the opposition and he’s never been a regular scorer even when playing further forward.

Even at 30, you’d never bet against him picking up a needless red card.

With persistent injuries kicking in I’d be surprised if the club captain has a significant contribution to make for Deila’s successor.

Whoever comes in should be looking for a new dressing room leader with Brown’s best years now behind him.

When it comes time for Broony to pack in, he’ll have done well for himself.

He reached 50 caps for Scotland, was Player of the Year and hoovered up domestic silverware. His admirers will regard him as a good Celtic servant.

Me? I’ll remember him as a poor man’s Murdo MacLeod.

Oooft, hefty honesty from auld Provan. I suspect he will still be shoehorned in along with Darren Fletcher when Scotland games roll around. Both have been breathing out their arses for a few years now.

He was superb against us a couple of times for Hibs but apart from that Provan is pretty spot on.

He comes across as being a couple of sannies short of the full picnic basket. The episode with Halliday was not far short of pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

He was never worth what they paid for him

I think he was probably worth it at the time based on potential, and I'd have probably been happy if we had signed him. Sadly (for him) he never progressed his game to anywhere near the level he should have, and he's a complete bellend to boot.

Murdo McLeod is the one player that made a massive difference for the beggars in late 70s and 80s

I would happily admit ,he was usually outstanding when playing us 80% of the time .

He broke my heart countless times ,usually with skill and power ..79 ,81 82,83,86 . He surely must have scored at least nearly  dozen goals against us . Not once did he have to resort to being a ned or giving players the eye.

One of only a handful of beggars I truly respect as a player .

Don't think Murdo would be too thrilled having his name in same sentence as Shrek .

11 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Murdo McLeod is the one player that made a massive difference for the beggars in late 70s and 80s

I would happily admit ,he was usually outstanding when playing us 80% of the time .

He broke my heart countless times ,usually with skill and power ..79 ,81 82,83 . He surely must have scored at least nearly  dozen goals against us . Not once did he have to resort to being a ned or giving players the eye.

One of only a handful of beggars I truly respect as a player .

Don't think Murdo would be too thrilled having his name in same sentence as Shrek .

this

the cunt always turned in a performance for the tarriers, kinda like burns did, miles ahead of the likes of brown etc

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

this

the cunt always turned in a performance for the tarriers, kinda like burns did, miles ahead of the likes of brown etc

Yes Jim . I would have to say Burns was easily nullified in certain OF games but he was always 100% .

Murdo on other hand had the lot . I think hand on heart ,he was their best player throughout a 4 year period 79 to 83 .Maybe others scoring the goals but he was a dynamo in midfield . Really hurt us big time in vital games .I think of the last minute winners in 79 showdown and 82 league game where we were 2-1 up and he scored the winner with the best lung bursting run you could see .

Of course he signed for  beggars and the fact we could have had him ,makes you wonder how history could have changed .

Could never ever think about him in same vain as the numptie Shrek though