Kiernan & Wilson Next Season

What would you want to see done with them?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. First Choice Squad Players?

• Both
    • Kiernan Only
    • Wilson Only
    • Neither

I think it's easy to say both need to be replaced and I've voted as such.

Truthfully though if the right CB is signed then he could replace 1 of them and the entire defense could be on a whole new level. What's clear with Kiernan and Wilson is that neither are commanders, you can't say that one of them will go for a header nevermind win every header, you can't say that one of them organises the line, you can't say that one will be there to make the interception. Such a player coming in could make all the difference.

Now I'm not going to claim I know much of the guy's ability but Damien Delaney to me is an example of someone whose contract is up, he has been playing the vast bulk of seasons for a good number of years, he has knowingly been on low wages and offered very short term deals (since before he joined Palace) and yet if you look at Palace's defensive record they were top 7 on goals conceded. He obviously reached the cup final with them and as I understand it he is one of their top assists men. Seeing what we have just pulled off with Barton, I can imagine that Delaney knowing he will not likely top the cup final of last season and most likely will fight for survival, might look at a 2 year deal with us and the opportunity that gives him to go out on a high, big club, win something, possibly experience Europe etc. etc. He's only an example that I've used a few times but he fits the bill of being obviously good enough while seemingly being in reach, I think he is as close to ideal as you're going to get to raise the bar in defense.

26 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

I think it's easy to say both need to be replaced and I've voted as such.

Truthfully though if the right CB is signed then he could replace 1 of them and the entire defense could be on a whole new level. What's clear with Kiernan and Wilson is that neither are commanders, you can't say that one of them will go for a header nevermind win every header, you can't say that one of them organises the line, you can't say that one will be there to make the interception. Such a player coming in could make all the difference.

Now I'm not going to claim I know much of the guy's ability but Damien Delaney to me is an example of someone whose contract is up, he has been playing the vast bulk of seasons for a good number of years, he has knowingly been on low wages and offered very short term deals (since before he joined Palace) and yet if you look at Palace's defensive record they were top 7 on goals conceded. He obviously reached the cup final with them and as I understand it he is one of their top assists men. Seeing what we have just pulled off with Barton, I can imagine that Delaney knowing he will not likely top the cup final of last season and most likely will fight for survival, might look at a 2 year deal with us and the opportunity that gives him to go out on a high, big club, win something, possibly experience Europe etc. etc. He's only an example that I've used a few times but he fits the bill of being obviously good enough while seemingly being in reach, I think he is as close to ideal as you're going to get to raise the bar in defense.

Delaney signed a new contract.

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Delaney signed a new contract.

That fucks that idea then but still we need someone of similar ilk because they simply get carved up too often against lower level opposition, IFchallenging for the title is the least of our intentions then we need at least someone who is far better and evidently capable over the course of a full season against better opposition week-in-week-out.  

8 hours ago, Smile said:

Get rid of both, it's amateur hour with them would never have signed Wilson in the first place and Kiernan just can't defend.

Hopefully, someone will take them, Hearts weren't slow on Dumping Wilson when they went up.

Spot on , Wilson should never have been given the chance to play for us again.

I think people massively over react regarding Wilson and Kiernan. Our defence was terrible last season at times but that was as a team 90% of the time rather than them alone. With a whole season together behind them and hopefully Barton in front of them and the team more wary in a better league, it should all come together.

1 hour ago, EatDolphins said:

I think people massively over react regarding Wilson and Kiernan. Our defence was terrible last season at times but that was as a team 90% of the time rather than them alone. With a whole season together behind them and hopefully Barton in front of them and the team more wary in a better league, it should all come together.

You are correct to a degree. They are inconsistent, but they did do their bit last season, to the best of the ability they have and we got over the line. However, therein lies the problem as I see it, they both do not have the attributes to be successful and make the challenge in the top tier. Not their fault that they are too limited, but we need to move on with a defensive pairing that posses pace, positional awareness, dominate in the air and have that physical presence. Hivs shredded us as they broke at us with pace and that scumbag stokes  isn't the fastest and he could/should have scored more. He constantly came at us down the left flank, where Tav's for the most part was missing. We have also seen what balls over the top do to us. A defensive centre mid would have made little difference.

Teams in the top tier have seen our main weakness and it can and will be exploited if we don't change it with players that have better defensive attributes. 

Someone who can read the game

Or at least spot the danger when ,

the opposing centre forward comes in from the touchline, 

maybe tries to stop him before he gets onto the 6 yard box and scores unchallenged, in a major final

1 minute ago, Getstiffed said:

Said on here a few people were in for a shock with these 2 when it came to the cup semi and I'm going to say it again in regards to next season.

Get ready to wipe the egg off your face next May.

Kiernan is pish

They are both fine as squad players but they lack the consistency required to play at the top level as a pairing.

You could maybe get away with one of them playing beside a better player (I prefer Wilson, he's the more consistent of the two IMO) but only time will tell if that would work.

I don't think we are signing two centre backs this summer though, regardless of what people think we need.

11 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Oh Barcelona, right.

Here's me thinking a CD's job was to defend. Our two will certainly the best in in the SPL, not!

Of course they're job is to defend but even the best CD's need some help,  our 2 don't really get that