Have Old Firm games changed for you?

51 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

The sheer bedlam in the old stadiums will never be surpassed .The 1second delay on the sound from the  roar from the other end is something i strangely miss .The physical element and pace of the game will always be unsurpassed as its always pretty much every game 

Yeah , the old Hampden was weird that way. Only time you heard them was when they scored and we went quiet  and a second later you heard them . 

Not a patch on the Rangers End though , with the famous cloud of dust that emanated from there every time we scored . Murder on a hot , sweaty day . 

Those were the days . 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I remember going to Old Firm games from the early 90's and a lot of the years during our 9 in a row years I remember coming away from Parkhead quite gutted that we maybe only won 1-0. I know that sounds mental but it was just different times.

I never had the intense hatred I have for them now either.

Up until our Manchester season I was genuinely not bothering my arse with them but that one season was a game changer ...

Hateful bastard John Reid coming on board
The formation of the Gr33n Brigad3
Them using the death of an old squad player to get an Old Firm game postponed because they were shitting it as they had McGeady, Boruc and Nakamura either injured or suspended - yet when a Celtic great Burns died, it was "lets play this next game and win the league for Tommy"
Their fantasy tour of Japan

Since then I have hated them as much as I love us, sometimes even hated them a little more.

They are fucking scum. My hatred for them is rivalled only by Yessers and the SNP - although they tend to be the same people anyway.

Any Rangers fan that enjoys "banter" with Celtic fans or is happy to sit in their company while they think orange bastard, zombies, cheats, H***, sevco or whatever is a cretin too.

I'm with you there in regards to the 07/08 season. I've obviously always hated them but, like you said, that took it to a whole new level that season. Dirty, lowlife, scummy bastards. 

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Yeah , the old Hampden was weird that way. Only time you heard them was when they scored and we went quiet  and a second later you heard them . 

Not a patch on the Rangers End though , with the famous cloud of dust that emanated from there every time we scored . Murder on a hot , sweaty day . 

Those were the days . 

1980 cup final especially 

God save the queen before kick off and the dust was almost like a smoke bomb :D amazing memories 

10 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

God save the queen before kick off and the dust was almost like a smoke bomb :D amazing memories 

I actually missed the first 10-15 minutes of that one but , aye , an eventful day :D It's just not the same in the new one , couldnae beat the old Section J . 

9 minutes ago, gmcf said:

I actually missed the first 10-15 minutes of that one but , aye , an eventful day :D It's just not the same in the new one , couldnae beat the old Section J . 

Night and day mate .The place is soulless now in every way .Was at final v Hivs  and everyone just applauds when we score .Boring as fuck .

In the old days ,it was Mindblowing bedlam X 10 when goals were scored in OF games and Cup finals 

30 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Don't know if anyone else felt this at the time but I remember a right poisonous atmosphere around the city the night before that game. Nothing I could put my finger on but somehow I wasn't surprised that it all kicked off afterwards. 

Only other time I can compare it with was the night they beat us 4-2 to win the league at the piggery in 1979,in the city centre before that game  things were particularly edgy and making our way home after that game was like The Warriors movie :D

18 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Night and day mate .The place is soulless now in every way .Was at final v Hivs  and everyone just applauds when we score .Boring as fuck .

In the old days ,it was Mindblowing bedlam X 10 when goals were scored in OF games and Cup finals 

Aye , the way you grabbed anybody when a goal was scored , then somebody behind would jump on you . When the game restarted you were yards away from where you were with a whole lot of different people , spitting out dust . 

The seats now have kind of diminished that somewhat. 

The last Old Firm game was incredible and the ones we'll be involved in next season will be very emotional as well.  I grew up watching Rangers win nine in a row and to be honest, I took our previous success for granted.  I never thought I'd see the day our team would be playing football in the bottom tier.  As fans I think we're going to be better for this harsh reality check we've experienced and the next title win will be our greatest moment as football fans.  Just remember, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour.  Every victory over Motherwell, Hibs, & Dundee United, has new meaning.  I've grown as a Rangers fan and I'm sure that's true of just about everyone else.

Perhaps growing up in a more mixed area can change your perception of the rivalry.

I grew up in Ayrshire in an area that was probably about 10 to 1 Rangers, so Septic were always an afterthought to me and still are today. Of course I liked to see them lose and hated to see them have success, but I rarely gave them a second thought until the end of the season when we would often be in a close title race.

Some on here seem to consider them far more than I ever have, and maybe that's down to people growing up around more tims, making them see the two clubs as inherently linked.

51 minutes ago, Bris Koyd said:

Perhaps growing up in a more mixed area can change your perception of the rivalry.

I grew up in Ayrshire in an area that was probably about 10 to 1 Rangers, so Septic were always an afterthought to me and still are today. Of course I liked to see them lose and hated to see them have success, but I rarely gave them a second thought until the end of the season when we would often be in a close title race.

Some on here seem to consider them far more than I ever have, and maybe that's down to people growing up around more tims, making them see the two clubs as inherently linked.

I've spent my whole life in Glasgow and the number of fans for each club is definitely effected by success.  When Rangers were winning nine in a row it seemed like everyone was a Rangers fan.  When Celtic stopped us from doing the 10 they certainly came crawling out the woodwork in numbers.  These days it seems like Celtic have more fans in Glasgow.  When Rangers win the title again I think it'll bring many fans back who have turned away over the last 4 years due to all the shite.

13 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Don't know if anyone else felt this at the time but I remember a right poisonous atmosphere around the city the night before that game. Nothing I could put my finger on but somehow I wasn't surprised that it all kicked off afterwards. 

Only other time I can compare it with was the night they beat us 4-2 to win the league at the piggery in 1979,in the city centre before that game  things were particularly edgy and making our way home after that game was like The Warriors movie :D

Both games mate .Stakes were as high as they could be 

1980 cup final .Both crappy sides were going for there only trophy of the season.

The winners going into Europe .Losers into the Anglo 

1978/79 league decider .Rangers required a draw to more or less clinch the title at piggery .

If my memory serves me .You are spot on ,think both these points above would have a lot to do with the tension then 

The 2 games I'd change the result in my lfetime strangely enough.

And 2 games the Rangers should have won easily with the chances we created .Still guts me thinking about them

13 hours ago, gmcf said:

Aye , the way you grabbed anybody when a goal was scored , then somebody behind would jump on you . When the game restarted you were yards away from where you were with a whole lot of different people , spitting out dust . 

The seats now have kind of diminished that somewhat. 

:D(tu) Another thing I miss .You are spot on .Sometimes you were yards away from where you were originally standing .In all the bedlam and celebrating ,everyone just changed standing positions 

Seems silly but it was Magic feeling 

9 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

:D(tu) Another thing I miss .You are spot on .Sometimes you were yards away from where you were originally standing .In all the bedlam and celebrating ,everyone just changed standing positions 

Seems silly but it was Magic feeling 

Sometimes it didn't even need a goal for that to happen, one game against them at the piggery Coop put one just by the post up at their end, the crowd in the Rangers End swayed forward as the guys at the back tried to see it and before I knew it I was about 20 yards down the terracing and there was arms and legs everywhere. 

When I watch old videos of games I point out to my son the way the crowd moves about on the terracing, and he can't believe it.

How many times after a goal did you hear guys shouting they had lost their glasses, their false teeth etc? :D

32 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Sometimes it didn't even need a goal for that to happen, one game against them at the piggery Coop put one just by the post up at their end, the crowd in the Rangers End swayed forward as the guys at the back tried to see it and before I knew it I was about 20 yards down the terracing and there was arms and legs everywhere. 

When I watch old videos of games I point out to my son the way the crowd moves about on the terracing, and he can't believe it.

How many times after a goal did you hear guys shouting they had lost their glasses, their false teeth etc? :D

Tell me about .Years ago my false tooth at the time came flying out and went 10 yards down the stairs .Miracle I got it back :P