Have Old Firm games changed for you?

1st game I went to was 61/62 season against Third Lanark! First game against them was 2nd Jan 69 which saw us win 1-0 with a John Greig penalty!  Went home buzzing and still on a high a few days later. Still the same now when we beat them! 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended my first OF game in the seventies and with the old terracings these were fantastic occasions for atmosphere. When Souness arrived i recall a mate who had a season ticket with his dad telling me the only games his dad wouldnt go to were OF games cos  he got so worked up as he hated them so much, i could never get my head around this. Fast forward to the present day and you couldnt pay me to go to an OF game. The last one i was at was when Davis scored in the 1 nil win at Ibrox and   as it got into injury time thought i was going to have a heart attack!

I hate these bastards with a passion and i prefer to be in the house with a drink these days volume to the max when we score. 

7 minutes ago, centenarystand said:

I attended my first OF game in the seventies and with the old terracings these were fantastic occasions for atmosphere. When Souness arrived i recall a mate who had a season ticket with his dad telling me the only games his dad wouldnt go to were OF games cos  he got so worked up as he hated them so much, i could never get my head around this. Fast forward to the present day and you couldnt pay me to go to an OF game. The last one i was at was when Davis scored in the 1 nil win at Ibrox and   as it got into injury time thought i was going to have a heart attack!

I hate these bastards with a passion and i prefer to be in the house with a drink these days volume to the max when we score. 

I get unbelievably worked up then about 15-20mins in a mellow a little once I no we've started well. Then round about the 70-75min mark the nerves return 9 times out of 10 I find myself marching up n Doon the house hahahaha. It canny be good for ye but the feeling of victory will only be matched by the birth of my children.

people just don't understand the old firm game and what it means to people these days the amount eh cunts I hear say it's just a game hahahaha wrong

Sadly the tims are represented by the most bitter and hateful element of their support online and at egm's for eg, so my opinion of them as a whole is completely negative. I was the best part of 50 when the shit hit the fan and thought I'd little to learn about the old firm rivalry but the ensuing vilification of our club by all things tim and their attempt to dehumanise all things Rangers has taken the bitterness between our clubs to an almost intolerable level ,which will no doubt spill onto the pitch. Genuinely believe Scotland becomes more anti Rangers / British every day and the future old firm games will act as a vehicle for tims to express their new found total intolerance of us and we won't ever fuc*ing lie down ,so expect blood and thunder every time. The sadest thing in all of this for the tims though is the undoubtable fact that they hate us and obsess about us far more than they love their own club, as a result of living in our shadow for almost 140 yrs. The thing I can't forgive about them though is that to a man they never once gave Rangers the benefit of the doubt and decided we were due any punishment we got, guilty or not. 

Went to my first one in 1972, of course the atmosphere has lost a bit now it's 50,000 or 60,000 all seated opposed to 80,000 or 90,000 standing and carry outs everywhere. 

There is more hatred now than there had been for a long time, because of their unbelievably bitter reaction to our situation.  

Although most of the vitriol is spouted from the safety of behind a keyboard , the atmosphere will be poisonous at the games next season.

3 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Sadly the tims are represented by the most bitter and hateful element of their support online and at egm's for eg, so my opinion of them as a whole is completely negative. I was the best part of 50 when the shit hit the fan and thought I'd little to learn about the old firm rivalry but the ensuing vilification of our club by all things tim and their attempt to dehumanise all things Rangers has taken the bitterness between our clubs to an almost intolerable level ,which will no doubt spill onto the pitch. Genuinely believe Scotland becomes more anti Rangers / British every day and the future old firm games will act as a vehicle for tims to express their new found total intolerance of us and we won't ever fuc*ing lie down ,so expect blood and thunder every time. The sadest thing in all of this for the tims though is the undoubtable fact that they hate us and obsess about us far more than they love their own club, as a result of living in our shadow for almost 140 yrs. The thing I can't forgive about them though is that to a man they never once gave Rangers the benefit of the doubt and decided we were due any punishment we got, guilty or not. 

As to a man and woman they are so spiteful and bitter, the thing is the're all like that which makes me wonder all kidding aside but what is actually instilled into them in their upbringing? They are poison and bred by poison.

1 minute ago, centenarystand said:

As to a man and woman they are so spiteful and bitter, the thing is the're all like that which makes me wonder all kidding aside but what is actually instilled into them in their upbringing? They are poison and bred by poison.

If you had to follow the Catholic religion all your life in defiance of us you'd probably be a little spiteful and bitter too. ???

The 3 celebrations for April , millers goal , mackays and rogic blasting over the bar were sensational and almost made the wait worthwhile to do those cunts over . 

The next goal at the piggery will be something else 

Contempt for them has intensified. Regardless of the score in the final putting them out at Hamden (and the way we played in the 90 mins) will remain one of the happiest days of my life. Sure I'm not alone in that. 

3 hours ago, Bris Koyd said:

To be fair, their "new - agers" are alright for the most part. The staunch republican ones are unbearable though and that Gr33n Brigad3 bunch are the scum of the earth.

I have family who support them, but they are the "new - age" type and any banter we have never descends into IRA or "sevco" shite.

I tend to think a good chunk of the older, traditional ones tend to be better, although I know what you're saying.

There's a lot of kinds of sellic fans. There's the reasonable ones, there's the IRA sympathising/supporting ones, there's the nice to your face but on Kerrydale Street with shite behind your back ones etc, etc. An experienced Bear can usually tell which to avoid and which not to.

Examples... in terms of the 'traditional' type I was on about, a good family friend of mine who died recently and was in his 60s was a lifelong sellic fan, but was old school (not IRA old school) type where there was a kind of grudging respect that you were just the same but on the other side of the divide. Brought his boy up to be decent and respectful about the rivalry as well. That kind if rivalry is good fun.

Or a family member of mine who is old as fuck and had been going to CP since the 30s until he got too old. He would also go to Ibrox and other grounds to get some football in if sellic weren't at home, he's in the RAF, love the Royals and is a staunch Unionist. An extreme rarity now, I accept.

Or one of my closest colleagues at work who is a girodome ST holder but is one of the best people I've met and we don't let the rivalry and hatred get in the way, even though we both hate what the other likes to an extent. But that's rivalry the way it should be IMO.

The problem is, of course, that you've also got the scummy element of them. I know many won't bother and just generally keep a distance, which is their call, but I judge each how I find them. Rabid... avoid, decent... have some banter.

xCertainly think it's a lot worse now. 

In a weird way , back in the day you could have thought it worse with the songs sung but it seemed more accepted then . I used to drink in the town , admittedly it was more a music pub , but we had a mixed bunch and though rivals , we just accepted what each other would do during a Rangers / c....c game . It would be the same at work , just the usual banter after a game. 

Fast forward now and it seems a lot more bitter now . Times have changed and whereas before , you could let it all out at these games , I wonder if the way we have to suppress it now , makes it a lot worse in other ways . 

I don't get this "banter" thing 

how the hell do you sit and have a laugh at the same time as being called H** orange bastard etc and same vice versa that isn't banter its hatred 

if a Celtic fan wants to have a conversation about football then thats fine 

but most of them think they are tax experts and politicians these days 

5 minutes ago, Vwbear said:

I don't get this "banter" thing 

how the hell do you sit and have a laugh at the same time as being called H** orange bastard etc and same vice versa that isn't banter its hatred 

if a Celtic fan wants to have a conversation about football then thats fine 

but most of them think they are tax experts and politicians these days 

That's not the kind of banter I mean. You must be able to think of some things that constitutes banter that doesn't involve that. Slagging each other's results, each other's players? Normal stuff like that?

One sellic fan I know used to send me a hanky for my tears when they beat us. Daft wee things like that as well.

I used to love getting my tickets in the post for the piggery, Ne'erday was always a particular highlight.  Likewise Hampden, the old Section J was probably one of the best terraces I have watched football from. The atmosphere that we generated in those old covered terraces at Hampden and the piggery (jungle v Aberdeen to win the treble must be mentioned) were unbelievable and I feel sad that all you young fellas will never get to experience that madness.

But you know what?  I was, and still am, mates with boys from both sides and we all still talk about how good it was to be standing shoulder to shoulder with all the troops from the bus, the mad bouncing, the 90 minutes of bigotry and hatred but afters we were all going to the same party on the same gear.  I think the offendeds/plastics/whatabouterers have ruined the rivalry with their petty moans and running to the polis to report somebody calling them a name.

Hate the Bastards with a passion, i can't stand the very sight of them. Any wee fanny that roams the streets freely in a C****c top makes me angry to the core to the extent i just want to kick fuck out him/her.

never bothered as much a few years ago ( still hated them of course ) but since trying to kill our club the hatred has went beyond anything i could have ever imagined, i would happily pish on their cancerous clubs grave if they went bust.

i satrted going in the 70s and just had strong dislike of them. Even used to go for a drink now and again with a couple of my mates who were sellik fans before the games and the banter was good. The actual games were mental back then, and beforehand and afterwards were dangerous times. Nearly got a doing after one game at the piggery, but that's another story. We won some and we lost some and that was the norm. Nowadays I fucking hate them. Yellow Fang may have been the catalyst.  

The sheer bedlam in the old stadiums will never be surpassed .The 1second delay on the sound from the  roar from the other end is something i strangely miss .The physical element and pace of the game will always be unsurpassed as its always pretty much every game 

See all you with scum supporting pals ffs there all laughing behind your back calling you orange bs

zombies etc, there all the same ,horrible creatures ,I don't have any contact with the bastards and never will

dont be taken in by a semi friendly Tim ,there's no such thing

5 hours ago, Inigo said:

I tend to think a good chunk of the older, traditional ones tend to be better, although I know what you're saying.

There's a lot of kinds of sellic fans. There's the reasonable ones, there's the IRA sympathising/supporting ones, there's the nice to your face but on Kerrydale Street with shite behind your back ones etc, etc. An experienced Bear can usually tell which to avoid and which not to.

Examples... in terms of the 'traditional' type I was on about, a good family friend of mine who died recently and was in his 60s was a lifelong sellic fan, but was old school (not IRA old school) type where there was a kind of grudging respect that you were just the same but on the other side of the divide. Brought his boy up to be decent and respectful about the rivalry as well. That kind if rivalry is good fun.

Or a family member of mine who is old as fuck and had been going to CP since the 30s until he got too old. He would also go to Ibrox and other grounds to get some football in if sellic weren't at home, he's in the RAF, love the Royals and is a staunch Unionist. An extreme rarity now, I accept.

Or one of my closest colleagues at work who is a girodome ST holder but is one of the best people I've met and we don't let the rivalry and hatred get in the way, even though we both hate what the other likes to an extent. But that's rivalry the way it should be IMO.

The problem is, of course, that you've also got the scummy element of them. I know many won't bother and just generally keep a distance, which is their call, but I judge each how I find them. Rabid... avoid, decent... have some banter.

I tend to find the middle aged ones In their 40's are horrid bastards as are the u25s 

I've always said that the younger ones and the 40s genre are a result of growing up supporting Celtic or getting into it during the troubles and the u25s being young and stupid and led by these guys 

if I speak to an old guy over 50 that supports Celtic they tend to be wee gentleman who support the union, respect the queen and can talk to me about Rangers and our great players of the past 

I don't hate Catholics - I don't like their religion but for me this new age wave of Protestants and neutrals that are pro SNP and yes are worth the watching more and a bigger threat to us than any catholic has ever been 

11 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

See all you with scum supporting pals ffs there all laughing behind your back calling you orange bs

zombies etc, there all the same ,horrible creatures ,I don't have any contact with the bastards and never will

dont be taken in by a semi friendly Tim ,there's no such thing

So all of your pals are Rangers fans?

Just now, John Greig's Sideburns said:

So all of your pals are Rangers fans?

Yes all of them, have never associated with them in any shape or form work wise or family wise(not 1 Tim in

my close or extended family)