Is it a bad sign??!?

I clicked on this shitey website, and admittedly I've never heard of Joe Garner or Simon Grayson so for a moment as I scrolled down the page I thought fuck, is that a picture of the player we're signing?!?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/14/simon-grayson-admits-enquiry-from-rangers-for-joe-garner-discuss/?

Thankfully I was on that thought only for a second or two, and thankfully it's a picture of the manager Simon Grayson not the player Joe Garner.

But seen as we've been signing older players, what do you think should be the makeup of the squad regarding age?

Which percentage of senior players, prime players and youngsters should make up the first team squad? 

Because of the league we are in, I would suggest having around 20% senior players, 20% prime players and 60% young players in our squad.

Not sure how that would work OP.

How would you slot say a young player who makes up part of.the 60% you state if the young players we have are not good enough to hold down a first team place. 

How woukd you slot 20% prime players ie in the peak of their careers into holding down first team places when more than likely if they are at the top of the game, it is more than likely they will be playing their football somewhere else in my opinion due to the shitty  league we play in. 

How would you then slot the other 20% senior players into holding down first team place bearing in mind they are probably if not more prone to injury, then certainly their bodies take more time to recover reducing their playing time and therefore unable to maintain the 20% you require.  

I understand you sentiments but practically it is not going to work. 

What we shoukd be looking to do is have the best players in the squad making the first 11 with the ongoing drive from those challenging for positions to keep them on their toes. 

So in effect it is.not feasible.  

Just saying 

Yes, I like the exact science of maths when it is applied to football.

In any team I would suggest

9% should be a decent goalkeeeper.

36% should be decent defenders.

18% should be decent holding midfielders.

18% should be decent attacking midfielders.

18% should be decent attackers.

That leaves 1% which could get us a decent cushion for the bench too.

Just need  few million from Mr King to bring that about.......

6 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Age doesn't equal experience/ability.

Why don't we just go mental and pick the best players for the job rather than complicate it unnecessarily. 

Correct?

Wee Jordan at 19 looks more experienced in the heat of the battle compared to 31/32 Year old Niko.

Not that Niko is a bad player, far from it.

There will be games he will absolutely thrive in, other games when we need boys to get the sleeves rolled up,not so.

It's impossible to build a squad where the age of a player is the primary consideration. A manager must build his squad on the ability of his purchases to fit the system he decides to play and how his key players will perform to their maximum for the benefit of the team. A good mix of experience, youth and overall ability should give him a good starting point as long as they all can gel.

I'm not saying we should makeup our squad with a formula, posters saying I said that probably missed the word "around" before my percentages.

It's about being sensible at the end of the day, but in an ideal world - but a realistic one - I'm interested to see what peoples opinions are, because I doubt we are far away from having what is a sensible mix of experience and youth.

I think people have been disappointed because we got in a load of senior players all at the one time forgetting the young players we've already brought to the club - bloody good young players.

Just now, ianferguson said:

Anytime Rangers are linked with a player the first thing I do is go to YouTube to see if he can kick his own arse, pretty bad if you don't know difference between Grayson and Garner but YouTube would have sorted that problem out too.

Take it as you will, quite sad when fellow bears are purposefully getting the wrong end of the stick to take the piss instead of discussing the actual topic.

3 minutes ago, deco19761 said:

OP opens the topic.  I strip his theory ro bits and he then goes on and  likes it. 

Baffling 

It's your opinion.

While I don't expect people to agree with all my opinions, you stuck to the topic being discussed and explained your point of view in length.

Do you really find it baffling that I gave you a like for that? I find it baffling you find it baffling I liked your post.

Look at the question marks at the end of my sentences, it was opinions I was after and who's to say they have to be in the percentage format I suggested? 

Rediculous

1 hour ago, Jack The Flipper said:

It's your opinion.

While I don't expect people to agree with all my opinions, you stuck to the topic being discussed and explained your point of view in length.

Do you really find it baffling that I gave you a like for that? I find it baffling you find it baffling I liked your post.

Look at the question marks at the end of my sentences, it was opinions I was after and who's to say they have to be in the percentage format I suggested? 

Rediculous

As someone else stated.  Let's make things easy. See if you train well,play well .. you deserve your place in the team. If you don't train well, think your billy big baws  and think you can walk into the team and get on with it .. then you are very much mistaken. apart from our defence at the moment mate there is a fight on for every place jn that team .hoefully manager will add to defence and sort that out. Davie weir shoukd be taking the whole defence aside sitting down analysing only the defensive frailties and sorting it out on the practice pitch. 

50 minutes ago, deco19761 said:

As someone else stated.  Let's make things easy. See if you train well,play well .. you deserve your place in the team. If you don't train well, think your billy big baws  and think you can walk into the team and get on with it .. then you are very much mistaken. apart from our defence at the moment mate there is a fight on for every place jn that team .hoefully manager will add to defence and sort that out. Davie weir shoukd be taking the whole defence aside sitting down analysing only the defensive frailties and sorting it out on the practice pitch. 

I get that, but do you really want a team full of seniors or youths?

I was simply asking folks opinions on here what their general opinion was regarding how many old players they would consider is too much etc

We have to have older players to help the young players, and we need to have young players so we can sell them on or make them into die hards that dont want to leave. We need to have some players in their prime as well to make sure there was no drop in quality.

Personally I think it would be helpful to have one senior player in every position, kinda like we have - that's what I was getting at really. Mentoring is very important in my opinion, especially when you're talking about young lads in a very public working environment.

I'll just go and slate the team when we're shite and congratulate them when we win, easier than trying to create discussion.

53 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I get that, but do you really want a team full of seniors or youths?

I was simply asking folks opinions on here what their general opinion was regarding how many old players they would consider is too much etc

We have to have older players to help the young players, and we need to have young players so we can sell them on or make them into die hards that dont want to leave. We need to have some players in their prime as well to make sure there was no drop in quality.

Personally I think it would be helpful to have one senior player in every position, kinda like we have - that's what I was getting at really. Mentoring is very important in my opinion, especially when you're talking about young lads in a very public working environment.

I'll just go and slate the team when we're shite and congratulate them when we win, easier than trying to create discussion.

As i say mate I agree with the sentiment and understand what ypur getting at. You maybe just put it over in the wrong way with the percentages... yes i agree that have the level head at a senior level is invaluable and the youth and desire again is somwthing which we must try to capture and continue to develop both in technical terms and the love for our club. So don't get me wrong mate I wasnt having a real go at you as i say i do understand what ypur trying to get a discussion on. Just keep it simple. ?

6 minutes ago, Smile said:

Warburton nullified his own system by buying older less mobile players even watching the League Cup games it was obvious.

He bought 3 players, 1 of which (Barton) does not need to be mobile, look at Busquets who imo is the best holding mid in the world. Another 1 (Hill) isn't any slower or less agile than Wilson so I fail to see how he nullifies his system. Only player who could be more mobile is Kranjcar and he isn't even close to fit yet so to say he has nullified our whole system is baffling. 

1 hour ago, Skyson1872 said:

He bought 3 players, 1 of which (Barton) does not need to be mobile, look at Busquets who imo is the best holding mid in the world. Another 1 (Hill) isn't any slower or less agile than Wilson so I fail to see how he nullifies his system. Only player who could be more mobile is Kranjcar and he isn't even close to fit yet so to say he has nullified our whole system is baffling. 

Be fucking serious look at Busquets.  right i had a look what are the similarities.? If you don't notice our style of play has slowed down fair enough but don't just post nonsense.

Barcelona

La Liga: 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2012–13, 2014–15, 2015–16

Copa del Rey: 2008–09, 2011–12, 2014–15, 2015–16

Supercopa de España: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013

UEFA Champions League: 2008–09, 2010–11, 2014–15

UEFA Super Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015

FIFA Club World Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015

International[edit]

Spain

FIFA World Cup: 2010

UEFA European Championship: 2012

FIFA Confederations Cup: Runner-up 2013; Third Place 2009

Individual[edit]

Bravo Award: 2009

La Liga's Breakthrough Player: 2009

La Liga Team of the Season: 2015–16

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament: 2012

UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2014–15[40]

Decorations[edit]

Prince of Asturias Awards: 2010

Gold Medal of the Royal Order of Sporting Merit: 2011[41]

16 minutes ago, Smile said:

Be fucking serious look at Busquets.  right i had a look what are the similarities.? If you don't notice our style of play has slowed down fair enough but don't just post nonsense.

Barcelona

La Liga: 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2012–13, 2014–15, 2015–16

Copa del Rey: 2008–09, 2011–12, 2014–15, 2015–16

Supercopa de España: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013

UEFA Champions League: 2008–09, 2010–11, 2014–15

UEFA Super Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015

FIFA Club World Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015

International[edit]

Spain

FIFA World Cup: 2010

UEFA European Championship: 2012

FIFA Confederations Cup: Runner-up 2013; Third Place 2009

Individual[edit]

Bravo Award: 2009

La Liga's Breakthrough Player: 2009

La Liga Team of the Season: 2015–16

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament: 2012

UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2014–15[40]

Decorations[edit]

Prince of Asturias Awards: 2010

Gold Medal of the Royal Order of Sporting Merit: 2011[41]

What he has won has fuck all to do with it, he is the best in his position whilst not being the most mobile, it is all about positional sense and awareness. I'm not saying we haven't slowed down, we have, we slowed down last season though not this season so it isn't the new signings faults.

2 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

What he has won has fuck all to do with it, he is the best in his position whilst not being the most mobile, it is all about positional sense and awareness. I'm not saying we haven't slowed down, we have, we slowed down last season though not this season so it isn't the new signings faults.

It's like me comparing Ronaldo to Moh and you expecting to take my point seriously. We have slowed down with the players we are picking now, we would be quicker with Windass or Rossiter over say Barton and Kranjcar but for whatever reason, Warburton has us playing a slower less mobile game.

6 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I clicked on this shitey website, and admittedly I've never heard of Joe Garner or Simon Grayson so for a moment as I scrolled down the page I thought fuck, is that a picture of the player we're signing?!?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/14/simon-grayson-admits-enquiry-from-rangers-for-joe-garner-discuss/?

Thankfully I was on that thought only for a second or two, and thankfully it's a picture of the manager Simon Grayson not the player Joe Garner.

But seen as we've been signing older players, what do you think should be the makeup of the squad regarding age?

Which percentage of senior players, prime players and youngsters should make up the first team squad? 

Because of the league we are in, I would suggest having around 20% senior players, 20% prime players and 60% young players in our squad.

I don't think age is everything. If you feel so then why not look at the squads age as an average?

Rangers average age is 26.2, compare that with the rest of the league and take from it what you will....

St Johnstone - 26.4

Partick - 25.2

Dundee - 24.3

Septic - 25.6

Killy - 22.9

Motherwell - 26.5

Ross C - 27.6

Sheep - 26.2

Hearts - 24.5

ICT - 26.5