Reality check

stewaj3

The worst part of yesterday was that it isn't a shock. I was asked what I thought the score would be prior to the game. I said 3-1 them.

Shameful perhaps but I reckon most of us expected a defeat. The new signings haven't fitted into our system and our manager now doesn't know his best eleven. (he can talk about the squad all he wants)

He also looks to be unable to provide the influence that had us playing exciting attacking football. The truth is its been laboured for a while 

The thing is I don't think yesterday should be embarrassing for most of us. It was a reality check. We are not going to win the title. Compared to our rivals who have spent tens of millions on players the last couple of years, we have a long way to go. The only person who should feel embarrassed is joey Barton with his egotistical statements.

I think Mark Warburton was always going to have a difficult second season, especially if compared to the first. He knows what we expect but it doesn't make the magnitude of the task any easier. Let's be honest, last year we probably thought we were better than we actually were.

If we push on and he can get the issues sorted out then I see no reason why we can't finish second, but I reckon that's as good as its going to get and even then it will be a fight to get there.

I think we need investment and that we have a long way to go. I hope the manager is given the time and backing to do so.... But he has to improve things and quickly.

Yesterday and the other games thus far, have given me a reality check. I think the board have backed the manager with wages for big names. Sadly i don't think any of those names will be here long. Barton, Kranjcar, Hill and Senderos 4 hugely experienced players that do not look up to the job.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and we see a massive improvement but I think January already is looking like a month where we need a big reshuffle.

Yeah Warburton interview stating that he wouldn't get 3 years and his thoughts were different from mccoists.

I'm no defending ally at all, as he was awful, but his team never got beat 5-1 and to be honest I don't think it ever would.

Yesterday was nothing short of a disaster for Warburton and his team are playing equally as poorly as mccoists team and the fact he can't see it is also reminiscent of mccoists era.

He needs to rethink things, if he doesn't he will be out of a job very quickly, which is a shame after a promising start

2 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Yeah Warburton interview stating that he wouldn't get 3 years and his thoughts were different from mccoists.

I'm no defending ally at all, as he was awful, but his team never got beat 5-1 and to be honest I don't think it ever would.

Yesterday was nothing short of a disaster for Warburton and his team are playing equally as poorly as mccoists team and the fact he can't see it is also reminiscent of mccoists era.

He needs to rethink things, if he doesn't he will be out of a job very quickly, which is a shame after a promising start

Agree with everything apart from this, we would need to go on a really bad run for him to be sacked - the board and the average fan have a hardon for the gaffer.

Just a note that I'm not insinuating he should go.

8 minutes ago, BEE said:

Agree with everything apart from this, we would need to go on a really bad run for him to be sacked - the board and the average fan have a hardon for the gaffer.

Just a note that I'm not insinuating he should go.

So say we are fourth at Christmas, 15 points behind the beggars and behind Aberdeen and Hearts. Do you think he'll stay knowing there's a risk of not getting into Europe next year?

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

We did lose 3-0 with 11 men for the whole 90 minutes under him at the dump, he also shut up shop to keep it at 3. Our manager confirmed he took the decision to still go for it at 3-1 which resulted in a heavier defeat.

3-0's are regular enough over the years.

5-1's ain't.

You just don't allow them to have that much fun at our expense.

And it's only worth shooting your mouth off about 'going for it' in such circumstances, if you actually achieve something with it!

34 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

The magic hat song will be sidelined for a bit hopefully 

Doing my head in 

I said before the game id take a draw, it was a reality check after watching Boyd rape our defence a few weeks back.  Warburton has had no money to spend, he knew we needed a CB and you get what you pay for, thats why we have Keirnen and Hill.  King said 2nd would be good going, King is fucking dreaming if he thinks we can get 2nd with the amount he has invested. 

42 minutes ago, thehost said:

Good post OP but I disagree with you on two points.

i don't think warburton does understand the expectation.

the board have done anything but finance the playing department

Warburton publicly said he knows expectation from fans is to finish 1st.

The board have backed the boss with garner, o'halloran, rossiter, windass etc there's only one other team buying players. They have also allowed for high earners like barton, niko and senderos. For a team that has just come up that's a fair outlay and by some distance the second highest in the Scottish football.

I'd imagine the hope from the board would be to see an improvement finish second and get into Europe, then use that to enhance the squad further.

The fact that most of these players aren't good enough is nothing to do with the board.

The buck stops with Warburton. It is he and his team that sign, train and pick the players.

Just now, stewaj3 said:

The board have backed the boss with garner, o'halloran, rossiter, windass etc there's only one other team buying players. They have also allowed for high earners like barton, niko and senderos. For a team that has just come up that's a fair outlay and by some distance the second highest in the Scottish football.

I'd imagine the hope from the board would be to see an improvement finish second and get into Europe, then use that to enhance the squad further.

The fact that most of these players aren't good enough is nothing to do with the board.

The buck stops with Warburton. It is he and his team that sign, train and pick the players.

free transfers are not funding the club. A load of players, on big bucks, have also gone the other way. Our supposed chairman has publically set the clubs expectation and it wasn't winning the fkn league.

I don't agree with this continual 'it's all about Rangers' statements.

If that were true why do we want to be in the upper echelons of the Scottish game? We can win quite comfortably in the lower divisions.

And if it was only about us, when the fuck are you going to fix us MW???

1 hour ago, stewaj3 said:

I'm in no mood to criticise Warburton, but you are right. The board has invested the money in the team and in other aspects of the club. It is Warburton and his team to realise that investment on the park.

We played better with younger, hungrier players last season with about two exceptions. Since Barton and Kranjar came,

the pace has slowed right down. Don't know if it is said players who are slowing game down or managers tactics to suit them

at a slower pace.

Hard to take considering the team that came flying out the traps semi final day to this awful flightless game on Saturday.

Its fine, Warburton will just come on camera next time say yeah we didnt play the way we do in training, oh that wasnt a rangers team playing today, the team needs time to gel, we have experienced players injured, we played positive football today, we were unlucky today...blah blah fucking blah. Same shite from last season, even went as far to say the gulf between us and them isnt that big. Reality check indeed.

I think its more a wake up call tbh. We should have 12 points right now sitting joint top. This squad should be beating Hamilton and the Kilmarnocks of this world it's time to put a run together and see what effect that has on the time just pissed off at how the seasons started however

For me we have enough players to be doing and to do much better, apart from the centre halves and who knows Senderos and Wilson maybe a decent combo.  Warburton picked the wrong team and the wrong tactics for the Celtic game plain and simple.  Kranjcar shouldn't have started this game and should have been hauled off much earlier.  Kenny was a passenger on left wing and we had no outball over the top.  O'Halloran should have been on IMHO.  Personally I would also have played Rossiter....

On September 11, 2016 at 1:33 PM, B1872 said:

So say we are fourth at Christmas, 15 points behind the beggars and behind Aberdeen and Hearts. Do you think he'll stay knowing there's a risk of not getting into Europe next year?

Say we're top at Christmas what then 

he's magic again

fucking support the team and management 

bet yous are regretting those season tickets now eh

fucking muppets

I think a lot of us have had a reality check we are nowhere near as good as we thought we were. I though we could challenge for the league this season no chance with that team, We still have some very good players in the team just those that aren't good enough are way below par. I do think giving the right backing Warburton would have what it takes to win us the league. We have to get investment though in a defence.

1 hour ago, CF2 WINNIE said:

I think a lot of us have had a reality check we are nowhere near as good as we thought we were. I though we could challenge for the league this season no chance with that team, We still have some very good players in the team just those that aren't good enough are way below par. I do think giving the right backing Warburton would have what it takes to win us the league. We have to get investment though in a defence.

I beg to differ,  the reality check is this.  Big reputation players have came in expecting this to be some kind of cake walk and were shown up to be either lazy or simply lacking in understanding on how competitive the Scottish game really is.  Barton and kranjar now know what is expected of them,  if they didn't already.  Make no mistake about it,  Saturday was a wake up call and I fully expect that there will be a back lash because of it,  when we meet again in December at Ibrox it will be an entirely different animal that celtic face.  We are hurting and deserve all the criticism that come with it. We'll come back from this and be better for it. Have faith,  the magic hasn't gone.