A few reasons why Mark Warburton is the man to take us forward

Gaz52

I want to start off by saying I wrongly called for his head after the Old Firm and Ross County results but low-confidence, low-belief and frustration clouded my judgment at that time I'd say.

I could write war & peace about how good his managerial record is but there's a few things I'd like to point out which impressed me and some of it sounds very familiar to our current situation.

He said this to his wife in 2011 - "We have the money in the bank, the house is paid for, our lifestyle won't change. I want to do this: 10 years to achieve something in the game. It’s now or never" before embarking upon his career in coaching, he left his job at HSBC as a trader behind.

It's been 5 years since then and he wasn't wrong was he? In 5 years he's guided Brentford to the Championship by finishing second in League One and in their first season in the Championship he took them to third spot for a lot of the campaign (Brentford's highest ever position since the 1953). He won "London Manager Of The Year 2015" and various manager of the month awards in the Championship. The most impressive thing he done that year though, was guide Brentford to the Championship Play-Offs, even though half way through the season it was agreed that he would part company with Brentford due to differences with the owner, who wanted to take use statistics and mathematics to pick the team but Warburton believed a manager should always pick his team. He left Brentford with a win ratio of 51%, the highest of any manager in Brentford's history.

This is where I think it starts to sound a bit familiar.. He guides Brentford to promotion in his first few months in charge and then he gets a swing at the Championship, the clubs expectations were to avoid relegation - but he said fuck that - he built a young squad with many of the players being untested at a high level, they started off slowly and Warburton had this to say - "We've got a lot of young players who will find their feet, but when you start a new job and move up you have to adapt to your new environment quickly because no allowances will be given"

The part in bold is what strikes me the most, a slow start with a group of young players, fans probably think they're destined for relegation but they quickly pick up pace and start winning game after game, they sit third for a lot of the season and after it was announced he was departing, their form obviously took a hit but they still managed to qualify for the play-offs in a very tough and competitive league.

I don't need to document what he done with us last season, he pretty much built a squad from scratch and implemented a new style of play which was alien to Rangers, a style that us Rangers fans had screamed for since as far back as I can remember. He won the PFA Manager Of The Year in Scotland. He guides us to promotion with ease when you look at it. I'm not saying we were invincible, he made plenty of mistakes last season but we're talking about a guy who's achieved so much in such a short space of time as a manager. He gave us all reason to go back to Ibrox and actually enjoy watching our team playing again. His influence has been great from the first team right down to our young kids coming through, he's brought with him staff and personnel who have improved everything about us, we had absolutely nothing under McCoist, we were buying washed up SPL players and ignoring youth development altogether.

I believe he'll turn things round here, he's a winner and has been his whole life, he's probably feeling pressure that he's never felt before but there's no reason he can't change things, he deserves this season at least, let's see where we are come May. He's got a young squad, many of who are still settling in to life at Rangers, he probably knows a couple of his signings weren't maybe right but he brought in who he could afford whilst the rhats at the east have the luxury of bringing in one player who costs more than our whole squad pretty much.

He's everything we've ever wanted in a Rangers manager, he's got class, he's brought back an identity to our style of play, he wants to win. He's learning as well.

Thanks for reading if you did. I just want to make a case for him as I strongly believe he will take us forward if we give him the time.... and money.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said mate, I truly hope he turns it around.  I have said his stubbornness to deviate from 'plan a' may cost him his job ultimately - but deep down I hope this is the reason he is a success.

Would be nice for the fans to belt out the magic hat song at tomorrow's game in show of support.

'He's everything we've ever wanted in a Rangers manager'

Speak for yourself, the way he conducts himself is first class but ultimately results come first and they've been shite for 6/7 months

'he's got class'

Aye, that doesn't mean he's a good manager tho...

'he's brought back an identity to our style of play'

Biggest myth in football, we havent had an identity since about March when we ditched the high tempo, fast paced game, now we just pass. And Pass. And pass. With no urgency. Refusing to play it long under any circumstance isn't having an identity

'he wants to win'

Literally every manager on the planet wants to win?

'He's learning as well'

He isnt tho and that's his downfall

Not buying this, as Willis has said Brentford is totally different to the expectations at Ibrox. MW knows this all too well, and in recent weeks with his media tantrums and the carry on with Barton, he is clearly showing cracks as someone who has not adjusted for these higher expectations. Sadly, his players are letting him down as well - however this is in the main an issue with his tactics and the type of player who he sees as fitting into his system.

I just can't see any signs that there is anyway he is turning it around. I would like to see him get a chance to cement a convincing challenge to claim 2nd by Christmas. However, he really needs to get 4 wins on the trott to have any realistic chance. Not sure I can see that happening at the moment.

18 minutes ago, Vwbear said:

What is the blind love all about? At least with ally I understood a blind love as he was a hero as a player 

but we owe warburton absolutely nothing 

That was understandable as you say  Ally had been great as a player i think that's why most gave him longer than he maybe deserved.

Warburton just not working out now and he hasn't been for a while.

I hope your right and it does work out for us and MW, in the same way that I hope Arsene Wenger gets success at Arsenal.

I want to see us play the way we did when he arrived.

I'm too old and don't have enough time to watch boring, shite football.

Yes winning is what it's all about, but preferably with style.

34 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I hope your right and it does work out for us and MW, in the same way that I hope Arsene Wenger gets success at Arsenal.

I want to see us play the way we did when he arrived.

I'm too old and don't have enough time to watch boring, shite football.

Yes winning is what it's all about, but preferably with style.

Wenger was a manager with phenomenal success in the first 4 years of his career at Arsenal. You simply cannot compare MW to him, let's be honest his 'style' is the main problem at the moment.

The one major issue Warburton has against him at Rangers is he doesn't have the luxury of time.

I don't say it lightly but I think more so than any other club in the UK the expectancy levels are unprecedented at our club. Now be honest ,even given the most trying circumstances our club has ever faced the vast majority expected us to at least come very close this year.

This despite the massive financial head start those fucks have on us. The pressure of that alone would be enough to scare off a lot of managers. 

Because we expect or rather demand to be No1 in this country it means whoever is manager needs the full and committed backing from those in charge. It's not happened and he's hugely disadvantaged because of it yet still that expectancy level remains.

Warburton I believe could mould a winning young team with better quality players in a couple of seasons. The harsh truth though is he will never have that luxury because we are a support short of patience.

8 minutes ago, Gazza1212 said:

The one major issue Warburton has against him at Rangers is he doesn't have the luxury of time.

I don't say it lightly but I think more so than any other club in the UK the expectancy levels are unprecedented at our club. Now be honest ,even given the most trying circumstances our club has ever faced the vast majority expected us to at least come very close this year.

This despite the massive financial head start those fucks have on us. The pressure of that alone would be enough to scare off a lot of managers. 

Because we expect or rather demand to be No1 in this country it means whoever is in charge needs full and committed backing from those in charge. It's not happened and he's hugely disadvantaged because of it yet still that expectancy level remains.

Warburton I believe could mould a winning young team with better quality players in a couple of seasons. The harsh truth though is he will never have that luxury because we are a support short of patience.

I never believed that he thought he was in this for the long run anyway, he didn't move his family up and the constant link to English teams (which I still believe is leaked by his agent to the press to boost his presence). Time to get rid off him, and rebuild  with a manager with fresh ideas and a commited Rangers mind. 

9 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Wenger was a manager with phenomenal success in the first 4 years of his career at Arsenal. You simply cannot compare MW to him, let's be honest his 'style' is the main problem at the moment.

They want to play football the correct way. Or at least in a way that is enjoyable to watch.

Granted MW is having major problems at the moment.

I said it in another thread, even Cruyff, architect/master of total football, realised that sometimes you need to punt it into the box.

I appreciate where MW wants to take us, but doing plan A better is not the answer.

Being adaptable, and building confidence would help him achieve his plan A quicker.

3 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

I never believed that he thought he was in this for the long run anyway, he didn't move his family up and the constant link to English teams (which I still believe is leaked by his agent to the press to boost his presence). Time to get rid off him, andrebuild  with a manager with fresh ideas and a commited Rangers mind. 

What does a committed Rangers mind mean?

19 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

would you rather go back to ally`s style

Just now, Smile said:

They aren't that much different at the moment.

sorry but i would much rather watch a Warburton team than a Mcoist team ALL DAY LONG ? at least you can see what he`s trying to do .McCoist team would be below Dundee in this league or should i say we would still be languishing in the championship:541: