What's actually wrong with the team?

graeme_4

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, He's blue he's white said:

I really think we need a quick ball winning cab as noted in the op.  I also hope rossiter can get fit, he will make a big difference and if he can't get fit then we will need to invest in that area also.

i also think the combination of our predictable play and the refusal to change formation and 'style' makes it easy for opposing teams to stop us.

so in short, 

Quick, ball winning, experienced cb

a quality cdm

a new formation / or willingness to adopt a better plan b

I think the formation and 'plan b' is a bit of a misnomer. 

Ultimately sticking the players in a 4-4-2 doesn't prevent Kiernan losing his man at a corner, or Hodgson getting caught in the ball. 

We create a reasonable amount of chances, but at times our decision making is woeful. Think a more direct attack (within our philosophy) is required though. We can move the ball quickly, and still retain possession. Why make 6 passes from the back when 2 gets you to the halfway line. 

17 minutes ago, Falcoholic said:

To win games you need to score goals. To score goals you need to move the ball forward. We don't do either very much or very well.

To not lose games you don't lose goals. We lose goals.

Possession doesn't win games.

How basic does it need to be?

To win games your forwards have to take the chances that will come. Every team will create chances it is the putting away of these chances which sorts out the winners from losers.Just look at the England v Scotland game.Both created chances but only one winner.

We are lacking quality in certain, important, areas - in general the spine of the team is not good enough -  with any combo of Garner/Miller, Halliday/Holt and Kiernan/Hill making it up. Thats not a spine that will win you leagues anyway you cut it. garner/Krancjar and barton were obviously seen as the quality in some of these areas but it hasn't worked out like that (Garner may come good - but i doubt it personally) and the lack of quality in the centre of defense is, frankly, negligent by MW given we have seen the issue of over a year.

Get the spine sorted and stop buying tippy tappy poofy wingers that have a blinder one game then a nightmare the next and we will make progress. 

5 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

We are lacking quality in certain, important, areas - in general the spine of the team is not good enough -  with any combo of Garner/Miller, Halliday/Holt and Kiernan/Hill making it up. Thats not a spine that will win you leagues anyway you cut it. garner/Krancjar and barton were obviously seen as the quality in some of these areas but it hasn't worked out like that (Garner may come good - but i doubt it personally) and the lack of quality in the centre of defense is, frankly, negligent by MW given we have seen the issue of over a year.

Get the spine sorted and stop buying tippy tappy poofy wingers that have a blinder one game then a nightmare the next and we will make progress. 

Agree about the spine of the team.Remember when Mr Souness came that was an area as such that was addressed straight away.We also need a captain.Sorry nice guy,legend for staying etc etc  does not make you a Rangers captain.He is a good player nothing more who seems to make more back passes than forward and is certainly no leader on the park.His form this season is a mirror of the teams and is back to where he was before MW arrived. Successful Rangers teams have always had great captains and im afraid Lee is not one of them.

2 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

Lack of confidence and no leaders on or off the park.

Agree with this, we lack a leader on the park, Lee Wallace isn't the right sort to be captain, no matter how much most of us think about him. Without a leader there is no confidence, no one to lift the team when the going is tough. In a really talented side this is not quite as important as the individuals could lift the team by their own performance, e.g Gazza, Laudrup, Mols, Albertz, but at our current level we need someone on the park who can get that wee bit extra out of everyone. I don't think we're too far away from being a lot better than we are at present, I think a lot of Rossiter and hope he can become the defensive midfielder we lack, he can also make decent passes, A strong centre half (maybe the voice on the park) and an attacking, crafty midfielder, like the boy from Hamilton, would I think see a big improvement.

8 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

Lack of confidence and no leaders on or off the park.

We certainly suffer a lack of leaders on the park but we also lack intimidation and the ability to put the fear factor into opposing players.In the past if you were a forward standing in the tunnel you would look over and see such imposing men as Woodburn,Shaw,Young,Shearer,Caldow,Greig,Jardine,Butcher,Brown and Gough and think fuck me im in for a time of it today.If you were a defender you would look across and see guys like Waddell,Thornton,Gillick,Baxter,Wilson,Miller,Brand,Gascoigne,Laudrup,McCoist,Hately and think fuck me. Sometimes teams would be beat before they were even on the park. Alas those days seem to be gone for now and perhaps forever no one knows.

I think the Management team are inexperienced and lack any sense of how to change a game.

1: same subs

2: when teams push up on You kick it long vary the play.

3: Signings have been horrendous.

4: lack of leaders on the park, good pointers though.

5: Watch other teams and see how the play a big Fail on Warburtons part, videos dont see runs of the ball or movement of players as they watch the ball.

6: Nonsense every week about having a full squad to choose from has to stop.

7: The idea given to the team by the board to accept second place seems to have said to the whole team and Manager second best is good enough.

8: When a striker scores take him off or play him wide that always works well for confidence.

9: taking off players who are performing well and leaving players who have done nothing on the park.

10: Keeping going with a defence who get beat at every opportunity.

11: signing over the hill average players.

12: pushing Kranjcar to breaking point after him not playing for two years inept coaching.

Bored now so will give up.

A lot of it is mainly psychological. Some of the squad have a lot of ability just lack the mental strength.. take that cunt Henderson from Celtic, mentioned how weak tavernier was in the air so that's where he put his cross and they score.   

You don't have to be a great header of the ball but what you need is a mental steel that says "that balls mine and fuck all you can do about it". They should play like the ball has got a million quid inside it.  We don't man mark either and it is causing horrendous goals to be conceded and we defenitly over pass the ball. We take 3 times as many touches than any other side we've faced just to get near the box and then because we've took so long to get there we then have to go back or sideways with static players who seem that scared to take the ball in a tight area that they just stay in space which is in front of the 7-8 men the other team have back.

in short there's loads wrong with the team and unfortunately too many people are still unproven which leads to inconsistency from manager down to the players

Losing the SC final hampered our pre season. America for one game and back into competitive games is far from ideal.

We recruited early with crooks and Windass but late with others for varying reasons. A starting 11 never emerged.

We started league poorly and have not built up confidence or a head of steam.

We've been affected by injuries and the Barton saga.

We went through a spell where defenders couldn't defend and attackers couldn't score. Still cant score but too few defenders or midfield chipping in either.

SPL team are better at pressing, more physical, defend better and can attack with pace. We have nowhere near the possession of last season so haven't countered that well yet.

No player is playing consistently well. Until recently some of those were still playing next game. The subs apart from MOH have not shown enough desire to make a starting jersey their own.

The manager will lose rather than change shape ie to a 442. He appears stubborn to our detriment. 

Our main competitors are stronger and the top 4 or so are no mugs.

Other teams are sensing our vulnerability, there's no fear factor about facing us.

Add all that into the mix and there's the bulk of the explanation imo.

What's actually wrong is we're just nowhere near good enough, we need at least 7 players, first team players not just squad players if we want to regain this Title, that won't happen over night, if could take another 3 windows to reach that level of quality