Our crossing into the box...

1NachoNovo

I noticed it when MH ran towards the by line and drilled it across the ground. Didn't look up once. Noticed it on other occasions too. Kick the ball into the box and hope someone gets on the end of it. That seems to be the plan. For the goal, Dodoo looked up before crossing it and ended up with a good goal by HF. When you look back to the days of old, all our great players looked up and picked out their man before crossing. Some even had time to stand on the ball to get a better look. When you are playing against a 10 man defence, just blindly crossing into the box and hoping for the best is not going to have a good success rate, especially when you have only one CF. I might be wrong, but 2 up front and another man in midfield (442) will make a massive improvement. As it stands just now, I wish MW would just go. His refusal to change things does my tits in more and more every week. Send the fans home happy? Sounds like nothing more than a sound bite to me. If he genuinely means that, then why is he stubbornly refusing to try something differently and frustrate us more and more every week? He's basically doing the opposite of what he said. 

Lee Wallace is another who is guilty of this, so often he'll be in plenty space then drill it towards the penalty spot when our forwards are in the 6 yard box, or vice versa. Not to just single out Wallace though, the whole squad this season is just lacking that touch of composure around the box.

4 minutes ago, the brown brogue said:

Lee Wallace is another who is guilty of this, so often he'll be in plenty space then drill it towards the penalty spot when our forwards are in the 6 yard box, or vice versa. Not to just single out Wallace though, the whole squad this season is just lacking that touch of composure around the box.

Tav nearly hit a plane by hitting and hoping and went behind. WTF?

Slightly disagree with this on today's showing.

Some superb balls into the box that we should be scoring from. Big Josh a few times,  Garners cross to Miller,  Tav had a good one and Dodoo came on and had two brilliant crosses.

There was at least 8 superb crosses today and just the one goal. 

Clear we need someone from midfield to sit closer to Garner or even get ahead of him.

one of our greatest wingers never looked up cause he couldn't see the box never mind the player, didn't stop him being highly successful.  a really good winger often knows by instinct where his team mates are, some good balls today where we failed to capitalize

i reckon Forrester for Holt would work better

Bottom line is MW has to know how to change things when it's not working, Dundee had 10 men behind the ball and when it's Garner up front himself you are playing right into their hands. Imo playing two strikers would have helped us as other team knows exactly how we play if nothing changes from the manager

12 minutes ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

Some superb balls into the box that we should be scoring from. Big Josh a few times,  Garners cross to Miller,  Tav had a good one and Dodoo came on and had two brilliant crosses.

Clear we need someone from midfield to sit closer to Garner or even get ahead of him.

OK, sometimes just whipping it in is the best option. Agreed, some good crosses today. But if you're just going to whip a cross in without looking, then it would help with more players in the box. KM & M'OH are not wingers. Our wingers should be playing in a midfield 4 and KM, M'OH, JG, Dodoo etc should be playing as strikers and receiving crosses instead of making them.

And good shout in your other post about HF sorting it out. BANG indeed (tu)

HF Loyal :crywank:

7 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

one of our greatest wingers never looked up cause he couldn't see the box never mind the player, didn't stop him being highly successful.  a really good winger often knows by instinct where his team mates are, some good balls today where we failed to capitalize

i reckon Forrester for Holt would work better

Wide players are often taught to cross the ball into dangerous areas. It is then up to the strikers and midfielders to make the right runs to get on the end of them. That's always been how it works. Sometimes wide players look stupid but a lot of the times it's down to the failure of his supporting team mates not getting into the box. We need more players in the box. Someone should be charging near post, someone charging in through the middle, someone holding back for the cut back and someone coming in at the back stick.

Crossing is a very difficult technique and it's not always possible to look up but as a wide man you know your position and you know where to put the ball, generally speaking. I accept though that there are times when there is just one man in the box, and at those times the wide man should be aware of that (ie if it's a two man counter attack) and when there is only one man in the box it can be very difficult to pick that one player out so they should try to look up, and be more precise with their crossing.

I think like everything and similarly to most other teams, our crossing is indifferent, some great, some poor, however something that would enhance our crossing IMO is simply more bodies in the box...........

1 hour ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

This, nice goal today Flash.

I honestly think some people on here believe a 4-4-2 will cure cancer. 

There's absolutely nothing stopping us from getting more people into the box under a 4-3-3... absolutely nothing. Go back and watch our games early on last season and you'll see we used to have about 6 players in the box at any given time. We played under a 4-3-3 then as well... 

I do agree that we lack players in the box though. With how teams set up against us at home there is nothing wrong with Holt, Windass and Miller getting into the box seeing as there's very little threat of a counter.  

I think it depends on the scenario, if you break away and it's 2 on 2 for example then you would try and pick him out as there is more space but in a crowded box we should be looking to whip it in and hope there are enough players there from attack and midfield who weren't there, as long as you put it into a dangerous area like today with the Miller header across goal, we really should be getting that in from someone bursting a gut after anticipating it

Gone are the days when you had a Neil McCann who could plant the ball onto a golf tee from any angle, those players are very few and far between and cost millions

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

If you are going to fire crosses into the box then you need an instinctive striker to get on the end of them.

Few times today we fizzed it in and had nobody at the near post.

Garner on the goal line under the bar would still fuck it guys useless

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Garner on the goal line under the bar would still fuck it guys useless

Not convinced by him yet myself.

That turn and effort at goal early doors is the kind of goal he needs to start firing i think.

Too many times he is in the wrong position.

He isn't the only one guilty of that though.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

That turn and effort at goal early doors is the kind of goal he needs to start firing i think.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

100% but as I said above at Rangers a forward should be getting minimum 20 goals per season. Tough school but that's how it is.

2 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

100% but as I said above at Rangers a forward should be getting minimum 20 goals per season. Tough school but that's how it is.

For a regular starter i would say 20 is the minimum target.

As Warburton says, Garners game is entrenched in the 4-4-2 formation, and i think he would do much better with a strike partner to feed off each other.

That's not going to happen though.