Copland Road in 1920 (picture)

Gaz52

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the half-time scoreboard up the back?  Used to see similar constructions at some of the away grounds back in the 60s.  Used to take the operators an age to get the correct scores in place and raise the thing into position.  Until they did, it was always a bit of guesswork trying to align the scores with the correct numbers, caused a few false hopes to be raised on occasions.   Scoreboards at Ibrox were on the perimeter wall.  The fans would have their scarves and flags draped over the wall obscuring some of the numbers.  Again few false hopes and roars raised thinking the mob across the city were getting beat when they weren't.  Social media certainly has moved on a bit over the last 50years.

Remember seeing some archive footage of cup final against Thistle, think the year was 1921, and the venue looked like Ibrox.  Thing that amazed me was that they had a high metal rail fence built on top of the track perimeter wall. The fans at the front looked as if they were caged in.  Picture  in OP shows no sign off a fence, maybe I was mistaken and the cup final wasn't at Ibrox (only watched the footage once as we got beat). 

17 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

If you've no got a bunnet..yer no getting in..

The poor bunnet makers of Glasgow..where are they now...

If one got a loud check bunnet for Christmas,when the Rangers scored it was up wae the bunnets,and I've threw mine awa. I was minus 9 in those days.

On 15/12/2016 at 3:08 PM, Courtyard Bear said:

More like Pa Broon. 

The Broons are good Protestants. They're always talking to a meenister.

Just don't mention Scott. They disowned him long ago. You don't know why the twins didn't have names in the books? You know now. The other one is called Hovis and he works as a brickie somewhere where that looks like Glasgow but the people talk in Dundonian accents.