Players who surprised you

K.A.I

Is there anyone through the years that when we signed you thought "ffs no - waste of money" but they turned out to be really good players?

For me 

Kenny Miller second time - not just because of the Celtic thing I just didn't think he would be any good but the impact he had when Walter signed him was incredible. 

David Weir - I remember watching him and Daily for Scotland against Faroe's in a 2-2 draw and they looked absolutely pish and I didn't really remember thinking he was great at Falkirk, Hearts or Everton but what a signing he was for us. Not a good passer of the ball but could read the game superbly and time his tackles to perfection.

Nacho Novo - Watching him for Dundee and thinking he was a wee headless chicken. Again, not blessed with massive footballing ability but a big game player. Some of his goals and finishes on the biggest occasions. 

Stevie Thompson - Maybe a strange one but I thought he was very under-rated with us and got a hard time from the fans but nowhere near as bad as people made out. Done us a turn and for cheap. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, eosmhdo said:

Sasa, never heard of him before but went onto become my favourite player

I know the hoards will moan at me for this but I never rated him.

He was OK, did a job etc but another player, average player, who got elevated to cult hero status.

6/10 every week without fail, honest etc but Whittaker got some amount of slack for his defending when just as many goals came from him sleeping on his side/position on the left.

Not the worst player we've ever had but very over-rated IMO and it's only my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Stevie Thompson - Maybe a strange one but I thought he was very under-rated with us and got a hard time from the fans but nowhere near as bad as people made out. Done us a turn and for cheap. 

I always thought he was a decent player to have on the bench who we could throw on to mix things up.

I remember there was a game against Dundee Utd at Tannadice that we were dreadful in (I'm sure we lost) and there was one point where he sprinted right across the pitch and slide tackled just to try and stop a ball from going out for a throw in. The Dundee Utd fans gave it the 'waaay' treatment when the throw was given but I remember thinking if the other players were putting that mich effort in there was no way would be getting pumped.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I know the hoards will moan at me for this but I never rated him.

He was OK, did a job etc but another player, average player, who got elevated to cult hero status.

6/10 every week without fail, honest etc but Whittaker got some amount of slack for his defending when just as many goals came from him sleeping on his side/position on the left.

Not the worst player we've ever had but very over-rated IMO and it's only my opinion. 

It's the season of goodwill , take that back ?

1 minute ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Don't know how much Craig Moore cost but for a time he was being played at right back and he was pretty poor and must admit I was not impressed with him at all. But he was moved on to central defence and he was excellent and became one of my favourite players.

Good shout.

He went down to Crystal Palace for a couple of months and they couldn't afford the follow-up payments so he came back and was like he came back a different player. Slotted right into center-half alongside Amoruso and looked a right good defender. 

John Brown was one who I thought was average and when we got him I thought he'd be more of a squad player . Took a season or so to settle but once he did he was immense for us . 

Edit . And btw , Kenny Miller in his 2nd spell is a good shout . 

21 minutes ago, mearns loyal said:

And the winner is ...

Bobby Russell 

I've mentioned before on this forum that I was at Firhill watching a junior Scottish cup semifinal between Shetleston and I can't remember the other team but there was this little guy playing in midfield for Shetleston and he was absolutely running the show, I turned to my mate and said to him "this guy should be playing professional" and a guy behind me said " his name is Bobby Russell and he's signing for The Rangers in a couple of weeks" I thought he was talking shite but a fortnight later he signed for us and the rest as you say is history, and the wee man went on to become one of my all time favourite Rangers players.

This is a cracking topic, so now I'm going to go back a ways, starting with Alex MacDonald, only cost 50 thousand, what a steal, Tommy McLean I never really thought was all that good, what the hell did I know, big Tam Forsyth I thought was just a journeyman but he certainly proved me wrong, Gordon Smith I wasn't sure what we were getting, but what a partnership he formed with DJ, I still think they were equally as good as Ally  and Mark, oh happy days,  I could go on all day here but I'll leave the rest to you guys.