Bad players or bad tactics

theiconicman

Just now, jbm26896 said:

Of course the buck will stop with him - it always will. 

But the players have been very inconsistent and individual mistakes have killed us. 

and likewise individual moments have saved us i.e Dodoo last 8 minutes at Thistle. It works both ways. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Average players with poor tactics.

I honestly don't think teams like Hearts and Aberdeen have better players than us. (exceptions could be made for players like Hayes and Walker).

I reckon a better manager could close the gap on that lot with this group but ultimately we'll need more quality in key areas to claim 55.

The theory of Warburton's style of play is lovely.  The prospect us playing attractive football from the back excites me as much as I am sure it excites most supporters.

The difficulty though is that there are only a few clubs in the world who can consistently do this and achieve success without having to vary their tactics.  Basically you are looking at sides like Barcelona who are filled to the gunnels with world class players - side's who's keepers are as comfortable on the ball as most team's midfielders.

The system worked for most of the first half of last season because we had markedly better and generally fitter players than most of the Championship.  Another factor was that these sides didn't generally have the experience of lining up against a team that played in that way.

However, form the 2nd half of last season teams learned to play against us and to shut our system down.  The alarm bells on that were already ringing loudly by the time we won the league and they have been screaming out all of this season.  With the exception of the cup semi last season against the filth we have been found out in the majority of the "big" games we have played.

If Warburton thinks he can maintain this style with the existing group of players & get results he is delusional and that is a worry for us.  Our quality of player is not and will not (at least in the foreseeable future) be at a level where we can play in this style.

I would love to say that we could have style and results but I don't think our current level of player allows for this.  We need results and he needs to find a new way of getting these form the players we have just now