Dave King. And the cry was no big spender

Smile

2 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

The only way to gauge a successful youth academy is to see how many of them become 1st team regulars.

We are not running Auchenhowie to develop players for anyone else but us.

Maybe Auchenhowie has become more of a training centre for the 1st team and less of a an Academy.

It's always been a training centre for the first team with the academy's needs a distant second. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I agree with everything you say,Dude.Back in the mid 60's when I came to Australia the club I played for asked me if I would coach their U/14's, so that started my coaching interests; anyway, one night at training I watched a kid from the u/10's running riot against his team mates who couldn't get near him. I persuaded the boys Father and the club to let him play for the U/14's and everybody thought I was insane....Six years later that kid became the youngest footballer in Australia to sign with a Professional football club, who incidentally had 3 players go to the 1974 World Cup, including the Australian Captain.

If you're good enough, you are old enough.

That's a great account of how a youth achieved success. This is why it's important for fans to buy Rangers Lotto and support youth development.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

It's always been a training centre for the first team with the academy's needs a distant second. 

This is where I feel, the training center became a white elephant. It should have been set up as a youth academy, which gave access for the first team for  training.

Just now, Sweetheart said:

That's a great account of how a youth achieved success. This is why it's important for fans to buy Rangers Lotto and support youth development.

There has to be a balance between bringing along youth if they are good enough and having older players that can push these kids to be even better than the established players, especially in the current state of the club.

2 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

There has to be a balance between bringing along youth if they are good enough and having older players that can push these kids to be even better than the established players, especially in the current state of the club.

Agreed. Rangers needs players that can withstand a ‘Battle Fever’ style of management, as it ensure that standards are kept high for what a player needs if he wants to play for Rangers.

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Such a wasted opportunity. We should be focused on developing our youth as we have all the tools at our disposal.

Lack of scouting dept and lack of cash, makes it even more important that we progress a sufficient number of youths to the 1st team.

Its a no brainer that an effective youth system is an essential requirement both now and in the future. However, and this has to be realised immediately, each season we fail to win the league then 'they' do. And the riches that come with it. It's the ultimate '6 pointer' - the more revenue they gain from the CL the harder it is to catch them.

That's why a now strategy of investing on around 5-6, 20-24yr old players with good potential and real sell on value is required. And it's required NOW. One good player from that 5-6 and you can regain your initial investment. It's essential, or each season will just get harder and harder  

1 hour ago, Bearsden bear said:

The only way to gauge a successful youth academy is to see how many of them become 1st team regulars.

We are not running Auchenhowie to develop players for anyone else but us.

Maybe Auchenhowie has become more of a training centre for the 1st team and less of a an Academy.

Auchenhowie was ALWAYS a training centre for the 1st team, just so happened the youth academy is also housed there

When King opens his mouth I instantly think what is he trying to do now to pull the wool over our eyes, and that is the big problem with him for me. We need investment in better players and while we know our Club needs to look after Ibrox and Auchenhowie that should be being done without any great fuss.

It has been great to see a couple of young players get their chance, but it is only severe injury problems that has given them that chance IMO. We are not really going to be playing young players in any great numbers and win the league.

He was also not prepared to mention the season ticket increase, it is not that I am against it being done (as long as he also puts in money to buy better players) but the fact that he just treats us like kids who have no right to know what he is doing, we are only important to him when renewing our STs. :wanker:  

Those of us who have been right since day one of about this deceitful  fraud King, will know that this is the start of the excuses.

There will be no worthwhile investment in the squad yet again, unless he is gone by the start of next season, so prepare for another year of wishing it was over not long after its begun.

6 hours ago, Skyson1872 said:

Some of our fans actually put more effort into attacking our club than they do the SFA, Rotten mob etc

Our board spends more time pallying up with the SFA and the taigs than they do defending the Club or the fans

5 hours ago, Bearsden bear said:

Such a wasted opportunity. We should be focused on developing our youth as we have all the tools at our disposal.

Lack of scouting dept and lack of cash, makes it even more important that we progress a sufficient number of youths to the 1st team.

The focus should be on a strong first team. Once we're back to where we should be winning leagues then we can focus more on youth development.

If there's a lack of cash and scouting system then the cowards in our support should take the board to task as scouting and funding are just two things on a long list of basics that the board haven't covered. 

Fans are already making excuses incase King does what he thinks were all going to do and not invest enough. 

They'd rather see King there after 10 in a row from the taigs than for another capable board to come in and stop it from happening

19 hours ago, Willis said:

The focus should be on a strong first team. Once we're back to where we should be winning leagues then we can focus more on youth development.

If there's a lack of cash and scouting system then the cowards in our support should take the board to task as scouting and funding are just two things on a long list of basics that the board haven't covered. 

Fans are already making excuses incase King does what he thinks were all going to do and not invest enough. 

They'd rather see King there after 10 in a row from the taigs than for another capable board to come in and stop it from happening

Much as i dont want the tims to get 10 in a row  - they can outspend us easily and will up the ante if they need to so chasing it could be a very costly mistake.

I am thinking of the long game - lets face it, the bulk of the titles are/would be tainted. For me the longer term future of the club is more important than going out on a limb again in the shorter term.

The last thing i want is to throw everything at stopping them, but at the same time choking the infrastructure at Academy etc that's vital to our future progression.

We cant match them financial right now, so we will need to do it differently - how many times have they bought guys that we wanted? We need to be smart with our cash and outlook.

5 year plans are all well and good. Every manager in the business knows that the next 5 games could see them out the door. I think we have to try and nurture our own talent but we cant rely on it. In a perfect world we have to have a good balance of spending and youths rather than heavily relying on one or the other.