Are we banking on Euro run?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Considering you only get about £6m for winning the EL, I highly doubt it.

Home team keeps their gate money. It's worth £10m+ plus winners go straight into CL group stages. Makes it worth a possible £20m+.

Though I doubt we'll get to the EL group stages never mind win it.

I'd say we are banking more on other players leaving, rather than Europe. The Barton, Hill and Senderos wages from last season will cover the first 3/4 signings of this season. Anything beyond that will be an increase in the wage bill so I reckon once 4/5 players are in we may need to get players off the wage bill before others arrive.

New manager and new players added to a poor squad do not make for a 'run' in Europe, be surprised if we get past the qualifiers.  Europe is not, nor should it be, a priority as we have to re-establish ourselves in domestic competition and win some silverware.  When we have achieved the latter then, and only then, can we think about Europe.  

Someone else posted this too and I agree that maybe King and Co realized that after the tarriers getting the treble that we had to get the finger out! I think that also getting into Europe is a good start for us and will get us a bit more exposure and money too.

Hopefully they have realized that we need to get a competitive team together asap and gain some control back!

1 hour ago, Essandoh said:

We'll have done great if we get past the second round of qualifiers. It'll be a miracle if we reach the group stage.

I hate to agree with this but I think we have to be realistic. If of course we do better then great party time.

I have only looked at the possible opponents briefly but I feel that we should be able to get to at least the third round before we may find ourselves playing a tough opponent-even then-with a lucky draw there are some teams that don't seem that good.

1 hour ago, westenclosure2008 said:

So far the signings and players we are being linked with has outweighed my expectations. I just wonder how we are going to finance the fees and wages for the next 2-3 years. We were told that all money previously went to cover the wages and we have only taken Hill and Senderos off the bill and have already I guess used those wages for Alves and Jack.

I'm not trying to piss on the parade as I've also been loving the constant speculation and signings. It's just that it has been so unexpected I worry that we are spending money again we don't yet have in the bank.

Understandable point but if you think about it we do not have

- 2 loan players on bill

- Hill who would have been on a decent wage

- Warburton et al who would potentially have been on a higher rate than pedro

- Barton...remember him you would probably be on a top wage

- Senderos...aye he actually picked up a wage

- Miller will he have been given the same terms? or lower

Swapped with

- Jack who would have been on probably around 1.5/2k week max so he will see an increase but if the people are sensible its under 10k. I know it was rumoured he would have got that in the States but away from family etc may have played a part

- Alves would have been probably 750k euros and paying the same tax as here so he gets a 2 year deal and not a huge bump.

So its neutral the now although probably still saving a bit

Just because the tims tell every cunt that we're heading for administration again doesn't mean we actually are. We spent millions on wages last year for little to no value; it seems this year we're managing the budget differently and are looking to recruit specific targets/types of players. 

1 hour ago, westenclosure2008 said:

So far the signings and players we are being linked with has outweighed my expectations. I just wonder how we are going to finance the fees and wages for the next 2-3 years. We were told that all money previously went to cover the wages and we have only taken Hill and Senderos off the bill and have already I guess used those wages for Alves and Jack.

I'm not trying to piss on the parade as I've also been loving the constant speculation and signings. It's just that it has been so unexpected I worry that we are spending money again we don't yet have in the bank.

I think senderos and hill were top earners.

1 hour ago, centenarystand said:

Almost Fifty thousand at every home home game.

Where the fuck does all this money go??

Up until a few days ago, it's went to paying imposters to pretend to play football for a couple of years.  Hopefully now it goes to paying people who have heart, desire, and actually want to be here.

Plus our normal bills to run Ibrox and Auchenowie are mental.

1 minute ago, gogzy said:

Up until a few days ago, it's went to paying imposters to pretend to play football for a couple of years.  Hopefully now it goes to paying people who have heart, desire, and actually want to be here.

Plus our normal bills to run Ibrox and Auchenowie are mental.

A couple more battlers then a few creative luxury players and we could very well mould in to a decent outfit mate. 

Just now, born a blue nose said:

A couple more battlers then a few creative luxury players and we could very well mould in to a decent outfit mate. 

agreed, along with some promising youngsters, and maybe even a cheeky wee loan deal for some up and coming wonderkid :lol:  We could maybe give those cunts a challenge.

45 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

New manager and new players added to a poor squad do not make for a 'run' in Europe, be surprised if we get past the qualifiers.  Europe is not, nor should it be, a priority as we have to re-establish ourselves in domestic competition and win some silverware.  When we have achieved the latter then, and only then, can we think about Europe.  

I agree and think the league should be our priority. Given how quickly we have made moves in the transfer maybe suggests that Pedro has been given European group stages as a target and priority to fund the spending.

1 minute ago, westenclosure2008 said:

I agree and think the league should be our priority. Given how quickly we have made moves in the transfer maybe suggests that Pedro has been given European group stages as a target and priority to fund the spending.

Definitely the league should always be our priority. Next year maybe more than ever

23 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Understandable point but if you think about it we do not have

- 2 loan players on bill

- Hill who would have been on a decent wage

- Warburton et al who would potentially have been on a higher rate than pedro

- Barton...remember him you would probably be on a top wage

- Senderos...aye he actually picked up a wage

- Miller will he have been given the same terms? or lower

Swapped with

- Jack who would have been on probably around 1.5/2k week max so he will see an increase but if the people are sensible its under 10k. I know it was rumoured he would have got that in the States but away from family etc may have played a part

- Alves would have been probably 750k euros and paying the same tax as here so he gets a 2 year deal and not a huge bump.

So its neutral the now although probably still saving a bit

Yeah agree it is provable neutral at the moment but bizzare as it is we are actually signing players we are linked with just now. If this unprecedented behaviour continues then surely the wage bill will increase and we will have shelled out a few million in fees. I just hope it is being done in the right manner and not based on speculative future income.

One European game at Ibrox at £20 average seat price & not including add ons would bring in £1million. So there is some money around and remember that this is a bonus. OK we have the expense of the away game but that will be nowhere near the home gate.

The likes of Alves will see this as a stepping stone to playing in the English league?

Selling on fees may produce better finances with players like Alves.

Like to think he would stay for the full contract but who knows?

Just want Rangers to put up a better challenge this season to start with, and here's hoping they all produce that.

2 hours ago, westenclosure2008 said:

Given the players we have signed the ones we are supposed to be looking at and the money being spent on the Stadium I think we must have some investment in the club lined up. No idea where it will come from but thats the only way I can see all this being covered. The board did say that if the share issue did not get voted through at the AGM the had alternate funding. 

2 hours ago, Bakbear said:

I stay well away from the boardroom shite and no preference on King or the board but is it possible that they didn't trust MW with the funds and now they think PC will make better use of it? Far fetched I know but they certainly seem to be backing him 

When they got MW they actually really wanted PC so it is entirely possible that they used the Notts Forest story to bin MW as soon as they knew PC was ready to make a move. You've opened up an interesting angle on the whole thing there - hey Mark, here's 2 million quid. Get us in to the SPL. Thank you. Now you've done that and the guy we really wanted says he will come, please leave. thanks.