Say what you want about him now but

38 minutes ago, bluenose244 said:

100% a Rangers legend. 

Can't believe some of the dross I'm reading.. Ferguson had his flaws and frustrated the life out of me at times but to question his "legend status" is completely ludicrous. 

What exactly constitutes a legend?

Ability, Skill, Consistency, Medals, Goals, Length of service, Personality, Behavior, Morals, Loyalty... (if it's all the above our list of "legends" is looking a lot shorter as no player came without his flaws) 

A side note.. 

If Lee Wallace is on the field as captain and lifts title 55 will any of you question his status? 

What dross? Please highlight the posts you consider to be incorrect.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Well said JTF - you're more of a legend than BF. 

I'm just interested because, it seems like if you're not creaming over someone and you're able to see the good as well as the bad in a player then you suddenly hate him. It makes no sense. I start to wonder about the age of certain people on here if they're so happy to dismiss our great players of our past. It concerns me because if you start saying Lee Wallace is a legend, then it lowers the bar and fan's expectation are also lowered. We should be trying to be the best we can be, and no matter how anyone wants to present any player, there is no such thing as  a perfect one - therefore we should welcome discussions on both the positives and negatives instead of dismissing anyone whom comes up with a negative as talking shit.

Ferguson was an excellent player. Obviously good for us that he stayed for so long and then came back. Part of me however wonders where his career could have gone if he moved to a better club than Blackburn and stayed in England, or even went abroad. As a deep lying centre midfielder, I think he could've played anywhere. 

As a guy he was a bit of a dick and he got way too big for his boots but that's as much a failing of management as anything else. 

54 minutes ago, bluenose244 said:

100% a Rangers legend. 

Can't believe some of the dross I'm reading.. Ferguson had his flaws and frustrated the life out of me at times but to question his "legend status" is completely ludicrous. 

What exactly constitutes a legend?

Ability, Skill, Consistency, Medals, Goals, Length of service, Personality, Behavior, Morals, Loyalty... (if it's all the above our list of "legends" is looking a lot shorter as no player came without his flaws) 

A side note.. 

If Lee Wallace is on the field as captain and lifts title 55 will any of you question his status? 

If Lee Wallace is on the field we will struggle to get 55.

9 minutes ago, gsa said:

Ferguson was an excellent player. Obviously good for us that he stayed for so long and then came back. Part of me however wonders where his career could have gone if he moved to a better club than Blackburn and stayed in England, or even went abroad. As a deep lying centre midfielder, I think he could've played anywhere. 

As a guy he was a bit of a dick and he got way too big for his boots but that's as much a failing of management as anything else. 

Got to agree. Was that good he could have played in any team in europe and part of me wish he did go to a top too team to prove people wrong

I just wonder why people have selective memory, he was an excellent player for us but those who try and say he was the best midfielder to come out of Scotland...

"This is bloody awful - Wally fucked up his tactics once again and Scott Brown continues to outshine Barry Ferguson in an Old Firm game."

"Ferguson is SHIT."

"Ps i should add , Barry Ferguson is a spent force , sloppy poor passing

sooner KT is back fit the better"

"Ferguson you're finished, and have been since about 2004

Feck off you useless clueless backpassing bastard"

"Barry Ferguson doesn't have a clue what he's doing - he is finished. The sooner he's punted the better."

"Take either McCulloch or Ferguson off, get Edu on, or bring on Novo put him wide right and tuck Davis in one.

We need to do something."

All direct quotes from people on this forum.

I find it very strange how people suddenly make players better than what they actually were after not seeing them for so long, then the more sensible of us have to put up with "yoooo hate fergie heess a legend" just because we say that he was a good player but not as good as what some are making out.

1 minute ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I just wonder why people have selective memory, he was an excellent player for us but those who try and say he was the best midfielder to come out of Scotland...

"This is bloody awful - Wally fucked up his tactics once again and Scott Brown continues to outshine Barry Ferguson in an Old Firm game."

"Ferguson is SHIT."

"Barry Ferguson doesn't have a clue what he's doing - he is finished. The sooner he's punted the better."

"Take either McCulloch or Ferguson off, get Edu on, or bring on Novo put him wide right and tuck Davis in one.

I find it very strange how people suddenly make players better than what they actually were after not seeing them for so long, then the more sensible of us have to put up with "yoooo hate fergie heess a legend" just because we say that he was a good player but not as good as what some are making out.

That's the second time when he was guilty of trying to do far too much. 

First time around, sitting deep and recycling the ball, he was excellent. 

Just now, gsa said:

That's the second time when he was guilty of trying to do far too much. 

First time around, sitting deep and recycling the ball, he was excellent. 

That's right, but I even remember when he was sitting in fans were getting frustrated by his sideways and backward passing. It could be frustrating at times, but his vision was good and what's the point in making the wrong pass all the time and losing possession? 

Just now, Jack The Flipper said:

That's right, but I even remember when he was sitting in fans were getting frustrated by his sideways and backward passing. It could be frustrating at times, but his vision was good and what's the point in making the wrong pass all the time and losing possession? 

He could be an excellent player in a good team doing the simple things with maximum efficiency and a little bit of class. 

Unfortunately his ego/attitude took over and he started to think he had to run the show all of the time. 

23 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

"Ferguson is SHIT."

Quoting people's comments during or after a loss, particularly an OF loss is probably not the greatest measure of someone's overall ability/career.

Ferguson was a class player, was he overrated by some...probably. Fans, in general, tend to overrate their good players in good times, and are also just as likely to slaughter during bad (see your quotes as an example). What is undeniable, in games on the biggest stage, and competing against some of the very best players around (out of a fairly long list, two that stick out for me are when we played Bayern and when Scotland played away to Italy, up against Gattuso & Pirlo) he was every bit a match for these players. As a footballer, I would have loved to see him play in likes of La Liga or Serie A...although as a person I don't think he would have coped with the move abroad.

Any "debate" regarding Ferguson or Scott Brown is nonsense of the very highest order!

14 minutes ago, RZA83 said:

The last world class player Scotland produced imo 

World class is thrown about as a term that can have half a dozen meanings, but as good as he was he was nowhere near world class no matter how you're defining it.

I wish Arsenal or Liverpool had've taken him when both were linked before he ended up at Blackburn. Barry seemed the type of player that the better the company he was in the higher he raised his own standards.

We can argue over terminology whether he was world class or just a great player, but there's no doubt that at his peak he wouldn't have been out of place at any side in the world.  Not saying he'd have shone at every club on the world, but he was good enough to hold his own.  He bossed games in Europe against top Bayern and Parma teams at a pretty young age.

Also, at the time he got injured for Blackburn he was their captain and stand-out player at a time when they were a decent mid-table EPL team.  If he hadn't got that injury I think he'd have been an EPL mainstay for the rest of his career.

37 minutes ago, nelsonRFC82 said:

Quoting people's comments during or after a loss, particularly an OF loss is probably not the greatest measure of someone's overall ability/career.

Ferguson was a class player, was he overrated by some...probably. Fans, in general, tend to overrate their good players in good times, and are also just as likely to slaughter during bad (see your quotes as an example). What is undeniable, in games on the biggest stage, and competing against some of the very best players around (out of a fairly long list, two that stick out for me are when we played Bayern and when Scotland played away to Italy, up against Gattuso & Pirlo) he was every bit a match for these players. As a footballer, I would have loved to see him play in likes of La Liga or Serie A...although as a person I don't think he would have coped with the move abroad.

Any "debate" regarding Ferguson or Scott Brown is nonsense of the very highest order!

Totally agree, it's difficult being sensible when critiquing your own players. Some can be sensible some cannot, however I do not think the sensible discussion should be extinguished by other fans saying they must hate this player, this manager, or this owner if they do not conform to opinion A.

1 hour ago, Jack The Flipper said:

What dross? Please highlight the posts you consider to be incorrect.

Any post that argues Barry Ferguson is anything less than a Rangers legend, you can slate him all you like but to question his "legend status" is lunacy.

Just now, bluenose244 said:

Any post that argues Barry Ferguson is anything less than a Rangers legend, you can slate him all you like but to question his "legend status" is lunacy.

I think I've already called him an "excellent player" etc in this thread, it seems you have no ability to reason or have a worthwhile debate. I spotted that and so quoted you knowing this ^^^ would be your returning post. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I think I've already called him an "excellent player" etc in this thread, it seems you have no ability to reason or have a worthwhile debate. I spotted that and so quoted you knowing this ^^^ would be your returning post. :lol:

So you don't believe he achieved legendary status at Ibrox? 

Out of interest how far away was he from achieving that accolade? 

It's just any young player coming up is pretty much pissing in the wind if not even Barry Ferguson comes close.