Say what you want about him now but

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Aye but I’m a sad bastard who spends most of his time watching old videos on YouTube ? 

I do that too. 

I’ve spent the last 6 years or so watching old videos while pished and letting myself believe we are still at that standard. 

For me Barry was one of those players who could enthrall and infuriate. He had all the natural skill and ability in the world, and in his younger days went toe to toe against the best, and was more than equal to them. His temperament though for me, held him back from being classed as a legend. Excellent for us, his love for the club unquestionable, and his desire to win 2nd to none. He knew what it took to wear the Rangers crest. There's just something that for me, holds him back from being classed in the same bracket at Gough, Cooper, Jardine etc in being classed as a legend.

Maybe time will change that, but I remember Fergie more for moaning at players and doing 360's. Lots of 360's. 

And for those saying Lee Wallace is a legend, you need to watch more of our older teams. Great attitude and loyalty, and should always have a place at the club and be fondly remembered, but he couldn't lace Davie Robertsons boots, and a lot of people wouldn't class him as a legend. 

Best player Scotland have produced in the past 20 years unquestionably, but not a chance he was the best midfielder ever.

He had a great career but his peak was 22-25, when for me he was on a similar level to Lampard and Gerrard.

They both took their game to another level after that though and people would rightly laugh at you if you put Ferguson up with them now.

8 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Name the others then please. I get that I’m from a younger generation but even guys I know over 40, 50 etc never hesitate when Barry Ferguson and legend is mentioned in the same sentence. 

5 league titles, 5 Scottish cups, 5 league cups. Captains a European final team, a treble winner,  the most appearances in Europe and was literally the best midfielder in Europe for the best part of 5 years. What more do you want mate? 

At 43 I fall into that age bracket you mention and fir me there isn’t even an argument to be had. I do agree that the term legend is banded about all to loosely these days but with Ferguson it is 100% warranted

As your post there states not only was he world class in terms of ability he backs that up in the trophy count also. 

Should always be remembered as one if the greats.  

Dont think i can think of a player even in the modern game, who was able to control a game the way he did.

Totally ran games against the best players in europe at a very young age.

When he went to blackburn he was getting motm week in week out at the likes of old trafford etc. 

Still cant believe people couldnt see how good he was and to say he's not a legend is an absolute farce

Saying he's the best midfielder Scotland has ever produced is just ridiculous and eliminates credibility in your post. He was an excellent player for us - there is no doubt about that - but those who think that Barry Ferguson is not over-rated look no further than this thread.

Baxter and Souness were far batter, and I'd even argue Ian Ferguson was better than Barry Ferguson.

Fergie was immense especially when given the captains arm band.  I can remember early on that he forever seemed to go sideways and then watching him burst through Timmy and finish a brilliant move to put us 1-0 up.

i thought his best games by far were in Europe - never looked out of place against Bayern. I’d say only mendieta really got the better of him in all the games.  Used to love how the tims would wax lyrical over brown and fergie just always bossed him.  It’s a shame a lot of his paper articles are typical of everyone appeasing the celtic media

3 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Saying he's the best midfielder Scotland has ever produced is just ridiculous and eliminates credibility in your post. He was an excellent player for us - there is no doubt about that - but those who think that Barry Ferguson is not over-rated look no further than this thread.

Baxter and Souness were far batter, and I'd even argue Ian Ferguson was better than Barry Ferguson.

Ian Ferguson's range of passing is so under rated. Outside of the boot out to the wing. Brilliant.

40 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

And for those saying Lee Wallace is a legend, you need to watch more of our older teams. Great attitude and loyalty, and should always have a place at the club and be fondly remembered, but he couldn't lace Davie Robertsons boots, and a lot of people wouldn't class him as a legend. 

Bit of a moot point as nobody thinks he's a legend based on his footballing ability.

100% a Rangers legend. 

Can't believe some of the dross I'm reading.. Ferguson had his flaws and frustrated the life out of me at times but to question his "legend status" is completely ludicrous. 

What exactly constitutes a legend?

Ability, Skill, Consistency, Medals, Goals, Length of service, Personality, Behavior, Morals, Loyalty... (if it's all the above our list of "legends" is looking a lot shorter as no player came without his flaws) 

A side note.. 

If Lee Wallace is on the field as captain and lifts title 55 will any of you question his status? 

10 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

If you are talking best midfielders Scotland produced - Jim Baxter, Graeme Souness, Billy Bremner and probably John White were all better.

Billy Brenner was a dirty hacking bastard, he'd have been at home alongside the taigs broonaldo.

Wee Baz was a great player, knew when to dig in to help the team.

Those first two years under Advocate were probably as good a Rangers team as Ive seen. Look at the teams we played in Europe and were more than competitive with Bayern (won 1 CL & 1 final between 1998 -2002), Valencia (2 finals), Leverkusen (1 final), Parma (UEFA cup winner 98), also throw in Dortmund & PSV.

10 hours ago, Spliffy said:

In Rangers terms, he has never been overrated so that for me says a lot. He was class, first time round everyone knew he was TOP quality, second time round different player but still the best going in Scotland. Any comparison with Brown is laughable. Ferguson was a footballer, brown hasn't quite got there yet, the ugly mongo wanna be hardman spastic that he is.

Ferguson is still the best footballer we as a country have produced in the last 20 years. 

Abroad, eveyone knows Glasgow Rangers, but back in the day the people I encountered made special mention of Ferguson. He was recognised for the class player that he was, even outside these shores. 

Scott Brown is a shite footballer who is where he is for several reasons. 

- does nothing but hurt players

- winds players up

- says what the gullible unwashed want to hear. 

He has never moved on because he’s not good enough at a higher level. Barry not only went to England but he went to the EPL and had become captain. 

As for honours.... how many of Barry’s 15 off trophies came fron having zero competition? None.   The guy is easily the best midfielder this country has seen in at 20 years.