Say what you want about him now but

5 minutes ago, bluenose244 said:

So you don't believe he achieved legendary status at Ibrox? 

Out of interest how far away was he from achieving that accolade? 

It's just any young player coming up is pretty much pissing in the wind if not even Barry Ferguson comes close. 

I do not believe he should be given legendary status because although he was an excellent player, his attitude let him down. I also do not believe he was world class, close to it yes, but I do not think he is deserving of that status.

I've even seen people say that Klos was world class and as good as Goram, well same thing here. Klos was an excellent goalie for us, but Goram was something special. 

World class in my opinion was Gazza, Laudrup, Goram, etc not Barry Ferguson.

I think your comment regarding young players is unfair as you're saying they couldn't come close to Barry Ferguson. I think you overstate his ability by a large margin.

My opinion though, I grew up during the 9 in a row era and that is my standard to judge by.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I do not believe he should be given legendary status because although he was an excellent player, his attitude let him down. I also do not believe he was world class, close to it yes, but I do not think he is deserving of that status.

I've even seen people say that Klos was world class and as good as Goram, well same thing here. Klos was an excellent goalie for us, but Goram was something special. 

I think your comment regarding young players is unfair as you're saying they couldn't come close to Barry Ferguson. I think you overstate his ability by a large margin.

My opinion though, I grew up during the 9 in a row era and that is my standard to judge by.

He has every right to be regarded a legend . He captained us to a treble and a European final.

6 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Pre pelvic injury he was World Class,he also showed guts and tenacity to recover from a horrific knee injury. So IMHO injury robbed him of true World Class status.

2 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Pre pelvic injury he was World Class,he also showed guts and tenacity to recover from a horrific knee injury. So IMHO injury robbed him of true World Class status.

Could say the exact same thing about Durrant, I'd even say the same type of thing about Mols before his injury.

22 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

So it's all about ability in your opinion must be "world class"? 

The question I asked in my original post was "what constitutes a legend" and I listed ability, medals, loyalty, length of service to Rangers etc... 

Rangers have had a lot of world class players over the years I wouldn't merit them all automatic legendary status. 

Whether Barry Ferguson was world class or not is irrelevant in my opinion, he was a damn good player for us and was certainly for a period up there with some of the best midfielders in Europe. 

But that's not what I'm arguing. 

12 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Name the others then please. I get that I’m from a younger generation but even guys I know over 40, 50 etc never hesitate when Barry Ferguson and legend is mentioned in the same sentence. 

5 league titles, 5 Scottish cups, 5 league cups. Captains a European final team, a treble winner,  the most appearances in Europe and was literally the best midfielder in Europe for the best part of 5 years. What more do you want mate? 

That must be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here. He was good. He was never close to being the best midfielder in Europe. Tbh, I doubt there was ever a point when he was close to the top 10 midfielders in Europe never mind being the best.

23 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Could say the exact same thing about Durrant, I'd even say the same type of thing about Mols before his injury.

Mols is over-rated by us. He was good but nowhere near world-class. He was already something like 28 by the time he got injured and before that he had largely been a mid-table striker. Ronaldo was world-class. Mols was a good striker in an average league.

The best Scottish Footballer of his generation and since hands down, you just look at the players he played against and alongside and outshone. The failed down south argument is an absolute fallacy too, was by far Blackburns best player and could easily slot into a better Premiersip side with the likes of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool aside at the time.

Best midfielder Scotland's produced or to  have played for Rangers though? Not a chance 

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Mols is over-rated by us. He was good but nowhere near world-class. He was already something like 28 by the time he got injured and before that he had largely been a mid-table striker. Ronaldo was world-class. Mols was a good striker in an average league.

I'm not too sure about that one, before his injury he looked unbeatable - in Europe as well. His turn was special, and that's the type of thing in my opinion that makes someone stand out and be able to be called world class. 

I'm sure if he hadn't have been injured he would have proven his ability.

14 minutes ago, theweebluenose said:

The best Scottish Footballer of his generation and since hands down, you just look at the players he played against and alongside and outshone. The failed down south argument is an absolute fallacy too, was by far Blackburns best player and could easily slot into a better Premiersip side with the likes of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool aside at the time.

Best midfielder Scotland's produced or to  have played for Rangers though? Not a chance 

Agree with most of that.

4 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I'm not too sure about that one, before his injury he looked unbeatable - in Europe as well. His turn was special, and that's the type of thing in my opinion that makes someone stand out and be able to be called world class. 

I'm sure if he hadn't have been injured he would have proven his ability.

Before his injury he was playing for a mid-table Dutch team. He came here and was head and shoulders above the pish in the SPL and looked good in Europe but standing out in a handful of Eeuropean games after a decade of being just another player bobbing about the Dutch league doesn't really make you world-class

2 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I just wonder why people have selective memory, he was an excellent player for us but those who try and say he was the best midfielder to come out of Scotland...

"This is bloody awful - Wally fucked up his tactics once again and Scott Brown continues to outshine Barry Ferguson in an Old Firm game."

"Ferguson is SHIT."

"Ps i should add , Barry Ferguson is a spent force , sloppy poor passing

sooner KT is back fit the better"

"Ferguson you're finished, and have been since about 2004

Feck off you useless clueless backpassing bastard"

"Barry Ferguson doesn't have a clue what he's doing - he is finished. The sooner he's punted the better."

"Take either McCulloch or Ferguson off, get Edu on, or bring on Novo put him wide right and tuck Davis in one.

We need to do something."

All direct quotes from people on this forum.

I find it very strange how people suddenly make players better than what they actually were after not seeing them for so long, then the more sensible of us have to put up with "yoooo hate fergie heess a legend" just because we say that he was a good player but not as good as what some are making out.

To be fair match days threads are littered with mongos. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

That must be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here. He was good. He was never close to being the best midfielder in Europe. Tbh, I doubt there was ever a point when he was close to the top 10 midfielders in Europe never mind being the best.

I don't think he was as far of it as you think. On the big stage he bested some of the best midfielders and teams in Europe. And he done it for us which is not as easy as it can be for the midfielders who play for Barca, Bayern, Man U etc who have the other top players around them. I woudnt say he was the best in Europe at any time but I think he was probably the only world class player we have had since Laudrup and Gazza. 

Baxter was the most skillful midfielder Scotland ever produced not even debatable, but the true Rangers midfield legend is none other than John Grieg, and I'm amazed that he hasn't been mentioned, this man carried us almost singlehanded while that lot were doing 9IAR, then got his reward when he won the CWC and two trebles along with other cups and titles, I realize a lot of posters were to young to have seen him play but if you hadI'm certain you would have to agree with me,Barry Ferguson was a wonderful player for us, and one of the best midfielders Scotland has produced, that cannot be denied but no one has been a better captain in my time watching The Rangers than the true legend that is John Grieg.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Said it before, Mols was a world class (front man) with the natural ability to out fox and get away from any defender in world football. A world class striker on the other hand,  in the class of Ronaldo? No,  not even close.

Don't think he was overrated here at all though and would have proved himself a Rangers great over a longer period had it not been for that horrible injury.