Say what you want about him now but

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jb85 said:

What player now would you say is like him? Think McCrorie or Docherty has the ability to be as influential as him? 

The ability yes. Whether they are able to cement their place in the first team is another matter. 

I think Docherty is closer to having the mentality Barry had and IMO that’s half the battle. Docherty is 21, just arrived at the club and wasn’t shy in tearing strips off his teammates on Tuesday when they were slack in their play. Also when we were 4-0 up they had a throw in their own half and he made sure the whole team pushed up and camped them in. 

He absolutely knows what it’s all about. He still has time to develop but over the past 6-7 years he’s the closest. That might not seem like a ringing endorsement of the nonsense we’ve put up with but it shows the direction were going in, and I like it

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

his guy is arguably the best midfielder Scotland has ever produced. 

Read that and burst out laughing, not even the best to play for Rangers, couldn't have laced either of these two players boots:

image.png.05bcfc2e520c7c038a441576e5eae170.pngimage.png.bef3b9d51e9c82c179c0e9089e2f699e.png

I’m obviously ageist. I love hearing about players from previous decades but there was a period in Barry’s career where not even the best in the world could get anywhere near him for years. It’s probably ignorant of me to say what I said but I’d say in the past 30-40 years there isn’t a better midfielder Scotland’s produced and I’d say over the next 40 years you’ll still not see one better than Ferguson

12 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Sending the whole Leverkusen team the wrong way at the first goal:bow:

I watched this last night... I was at the game....what a buzz that team gave me....so close but yet so far the next season 

35 minutes ago, Spliffy said:

In Rangers terms, he has never been overrated so that for me says a lot. He was class, first time round everyone knew he was TOP quality, second time round different player but still the best going in Scotland. Any comparison with Brown is laughable. Ferguson was a footballer, brown hasn't quite got there yet, the ugly mongo wanna be hardman spastic that he is.

Ferguson is still the best footballer we as a country have produced in the last 20 years. 

Abroad, eveyone knows Glasgow Rangers, but back in the day the people I encountered made special mention of Ferguson. He was recognised for the class player that he was, even outside these shores. 

Years ago I met Slovakians in Italy and when they realised I was a Rangers fan all they kept asking about was Ferguson and Boyd.

5 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Don’t give a fuck what anyone says but if you have a dislike or hatred of Barry Ferguson then there’s something far wrong with you. See the cunts that come out with “Barry backpass” etc that’s just absolute nonsense. If you watched Barry Ferguson play football he was literally untouchable for years. Imagine lining up against the best midfielder in Europe, wtf is going through their heads? The best couldn’t get near him. Even that video shows he had everything. Not many people will notice the pass in the Motherwell cup game but to have that vision and understanding is unheard of in the game in Scotland now. 

25 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

The ability yes. Whether they are able to cement their place in the first team is another matter. 

I think Docherty is closer to having the mentality Barry had and IMO that’s half the battle. Docherty is 21, just arrived at the club and wasn’t shy in tearing strips off his teammates on Tuesday when they were slack in their play. Also when we were 4-0 up they had a throw in their own half and he made sure the whole team pushed up and camped them in. 

He absolutely knows what it’s all about. He still has time to develop but over the past 6-7 years he’s the closest. That might not seem like a ringing endorsement of the nonsense we’ve put up with but it shows the direction were going in, and I like it

It would be daft to have neither in the starting line up every week IMO. McCrorie was very much coming onto his game when he got a run. It’s just a shame about his injury. And as for Docherty I hadn’t seen much of him before he signed but his work rate and passing the other week was brilliant. Both have great careers infront of them if they continue to their capabilities. 

Given our fantastic and unequalled history...is this the very best?   No, it's not.

I agree...he was good....very good....and I watched him........but not a legend... when you think of the history of our club.

legend is a word too often used

1 minute ago, ianb1547 said:

Given our fantastic and unequalled history...is this the very best?   No, it's not.

I agree...he was good....very good....and I watched him........but not a legend... when you think of the history of our club.

That’s absolute nonsense. Not a legend? Ffs. Don’t even know where to start with that tbh mate

Nedishness probably taints my view but he was magnificent one season with Ronald DeBoer when both scored a lot of goals.

Other times he tried to do everything on his own and it marginalised others - stupid comparison with lego muncher though. Fergie streets ahead of that mongo

3 minutes ago, ianb1547 said:

Captaining a treble winning side, one of only seven teams to do it.

Captaining multiple trophies and a European final.

Most European appearances.

Since 2000, I'd only consider 2 Rangers players legends, him and Wallace

Just now, Bearsden bear said:

Nedishness probably taints my view but he was magnificent one season with Ronald DeBoer when both scored a lot of goals.

Other times he tried to do everything on his own and it marginalised others - stupid comparison with lego muncher though. Fergie streets ahead of that mongo

He was good enough to do it on his own though. You think he never won us a game single handedly? 

15 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Years ago I met Slovakians in Italy and when they realised I was a Rangers fan all they kept asking about was Ferguson and Boyd.

It was Greece for me, apparently these countries love to bet on our leagues

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Captaining a treble winning side, one of only seven teams to do it.

Captaining multiple trophies and a European final.

Most European appearances.

Since 2000, I'd only consider 2 Rangers players legends, him and Wallace

I know you clarify with 'since 2000' ..but let's get real........we been about long before 2000.

So you are looking at our history ....but only since the last 17/18 years ....... that's poor

I know you clarify with 'since 2000' ..but let's get real........we been about long before 2000.

So you are looking at our history ....but only since the last 17/18 years ....... that's poor

Was just meaning that there is only two in 18 years I'd consider legends, and I canny remember anything before then so just my lifetime.

12 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

That’s absolute nonsense. Not a legend? Ffs. Don’t even know where to start with that tbh mate

Depends on what/who you think qualifies for 'legend' status.

Don't get me wrong........BF was a magical Ranger...and yes, maybe  a legend......all i'm saying is...for me? not quite in the league of many others.......but it's all about opinions....and i totally respect yours.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Was just meaning that there is only two in 18 years I'd consider legends, and I canny remember anything before then so just my lifetime.

I totally accept you can only have opinions about who you have seen/know about...........so I respect your own legends...would never do them down.

Depends on what/who you think qualifies for 'legend' status.

Don't get me wrong........BF was a magical Ranger...and yes, maybe  a legend......all i'm saying is...for me? not quite in the league of many others.......but it's all about opinions....and i totally respect yours.

Name the others then please. I get that I’m from a younger generation but even guys I know over 40, 50 etc never hesitate when Barry Ferguson and legend is mentioned in the same sentence. 

5 league titles, 5 Scottish cups, 5 league cups. Captains a European final team, a treble winner,  the most appearances in Europe and was literally the best midfielder in Europe for the best part of 5 years. What more do you want mate?