Arfield

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Noticed when I watched him playing for Canada in the pre-season he was absolutely buzzing, had been given a free role in the centre of midfield,  and was relishing it.

He takes up some excellent goal scoring positions, he does not always get the ball but when we are attacking he is thereabouts sniffing looking for a pass to finish. and his finishing is decent.

15 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Who wants to stick him wide and leave him there at all let alone because that's a written formation? No one on this thread for starters.

People were saying he's not a wide player. Some people, not necessarily in this thread, presume because he's shown on the right in the formation then he's to play as an out and out winger

3 minutes ago, Bluekev said:

People were saying he's not a wide player. Some people, not necessarily in this thread, presume because he's shown on the right in the formation then he's to play as an out and out winger

Not seen that. What thread and which posters have been saying that?

16 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He's not a wide midfielder imo, always comes inside, quite often jack or davis had to go out to the right to help tav defend cause arfield was out of position

I like him and think he should start in the middle everygame, playing off the striker, but for me that's it, he cant play out wide, either in the middle or not at all

Think you’ve misunderstood what our tactical approach is. Arfield is doing exactly what the manager asks of him.

Ojo also. And Greg Stewart will be the same.

we usually play one out and out winger on one side and more of an inside forward , with a striker through the middle. 

Been an this way for a while now 

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yeah but who said on paper hes a right winger so he's to stay right wing only?

No one I was trying to make the point that the formation as it's written down isn't necessarily how the manager wants to position the player 

19 minutes ago, Bluekev said:

No one I was trying to make the point that the formation as it's written down isn't necessarily how the manager wants to position the player 

Ah right. That's not what you actually said though. You said posters were saying as his formation place was the wing they wanted him to stay out there.

Are there folk suggesting that the manager wants players to stick rigidly to the positions in the written down formation?

Not read the full thread so not sure if it has been stated (probably has)

It is obvious that SG is trying to mould us into his version of Klopps Liverpool side. 

Arfield is now one of our "front 3" if you like, who roams accross the pitch. How often do you see Mane, Salah ir Firminho tracking back to cover to Alexander Arnold or Robertson? Never.

That is where Wijnaldum, Henderson or Fabinho come in. (2 usually start)

Transfer that to our choice of Davis, Jack or Kamara to fulfill those same rolls. 

All we need to find now to complete the look is a left back who can bomb forward the way Tav does. Hoped and thought Barisic would be that, but not looking likely. 

59 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Hes still a yard or two off it, gets himself in good positions but makes the wrong decisions at times just now but after the International break I think he will be back to his best.

Do Canada not have any games during the International break?

Hope they don't. 

When is the International break? Here is Canada's schedule through Nov. ...

2019-11-15 Concacaf Nations League CAN MNT -USA

2019-10-15Toronto, ON, CANConcacaf Nations LeagueCAN MNT -USA   BMO Field

2019-09-10George Town, CAYConcacaf Nations LeagueCAN MNT -CUB   Truman Bodden Sports Complex

2019-09-07Toronto, ON, CANConcacaf Nations LeagueCAN MNT-CUB    BMO Field

20 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Ojo is right sided. If he plays right with say Jones on the left then I reckon that's less likely to get as much from Ojo as last night did. I think Barker is right footed too. 

Ojo is right footed as is Jones and Murphy but they have all spent more time playing on the left than the right in their careers. Not sure about Barker.