Why doesnt Gerrard like subs!

berkshirebear

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

Poor last night from Gerrard should have subbed ealier as players were clearly struggling, Ojo still had bags of enegy but Morelos was done from 60 minutes on that should have been noticed from Gerrard and he should have made a change.

Yeah they looked leggy. However good managers will keep their best players on as they hope they have a moment of magic in them. Arfield's pass to Morelos where he should have scored for example was out the blue. I do agree though some were out on their feet and needwd subbed but i genuinely dont think with our tactics it would have changed the scoreline.

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

What games last year?

Of course you are entitled to post asking about subs and to an extent i can agree we needed fresh legs last night but the way you are going about it feels slightly anti-Gerrard 3 games or so into the season.

It’s by the by now but he made the wrong sub at Pittodrie on the opening day of the season last year. Jack was playing well screening in front of the defence but for some reason he brought on Ejaira when Jack went off injured when the like for like change of McCrorie for Jack made for more sense in terms of helping us keep our shape. Aberdeen dominated the last ten minutes of the game then scored right at the end to take a point.

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

In a group stage it would be but in a knockout tie it’s not really. Away goals are crucial and we didn’t get one even though we could have if Gerrard didn’t settle for the result at 70-75 minutes. If Warsaw score early next week then we face an uphill task to qualify and we will have nobody to blame but ourselves if we find ourselves in that scenario.

They won’t score at Ibrox Our defence is solid what makes you think they will score?

5 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Yeah they looked leggy. However good managers will keep their best players on as they hope they have a moment of magic in them. Arfield's pass to Morelos where he should have scored for example was out the blue. I do agree though some were out on their feet and needwd subbed but i genuinely dont think with our tactics it would have changed the scoreline.

It was a great result as I thought they were a very good team but I thought near the end if we freshened it up quicker we could have got an away goal.

Just now, HuistraHairDo said:

They won’t score at Ibrox Our defence is solid what makes you think they will score?

What makes you so sure that they won’t?

Hibs, Midtjylland & Kilmarnock have all scored goals against us out of nowhere in games we have been dominating because we got sloppy.

One lapse of concentration or a decent set piece early on is all it takes and we are struggling next week.

9 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

What games last year?

Of course you are entitled to post asking about subs and to an extent i can agree we needed fresh legs last night but the way you are going about it feels slightly anti-Gerrard 3 games or so into the season.

How many games did we draw last year where we didn't make any changes till too late in the game. We need to start gambling and turning these games into wins if we want to win the league. 

8 minutes ago, BoyBlue62 said:

Subs are used if required , not compulsory.

Usual nonsense thread to complain about nothing . 

What a load of pish about complaining over nothing. As you said sub's are not compulsory but a good manager knows when to make subs that change a game, unfortunately that's something Gerrard hasn't really learned yet and as a few others have pointed out Gerrard generally waits too long to make subs or makes the wrong choices which have cost us dearly in the past and as yet has shown no signs of fixing that. 

If you think that's nonsense then you really need to learn a bit about how subs can impact games 

You are right of course , Gerrard hasn’t learned anything , why don’t you call him and put him right , I am sure you know your stuff regarding game changing substitutions.

Hopefully he heeds your advice and makes changes earlier . Not because they are needed , just because he should.

Good result and team selection last night.

Gerrard is obviously inexperienced however he seems to be doing a good job so far, but he doesn't seem to be learning re. subs and changing games that aren't going our way, and imo we should be looking to win the league this year as Lennon is a poor manager and they aren't the team they were a few years ago. The league is there for the taking but we have to be brave and go for it. If its 0-0 at Kilmarnock with 20 mins to go, I want to see us go 2 up front, get rid of the defensive midfielder and go for a winner!! Not bring on a like for like striker at 88 minutes!! 

33 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

Not sure you can be certain they won't score!! 

Although hope you're right!! 

31 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

What makes you so sure that they won’t?

Hibs, Midtjylland & Kilmarnock have all scored goals against us out of nowhere in games we have been dominating because we got sloppy.

One lapse of concentration or a decent set piece early on is all it takes and we are struggling next week.

Hibs we were 2-0 up and we were undone by a worldy pass Gerrard himself said he would of been proud of. Kilmarnock was away, and we were coasting against midtjylland, as you say sloppy for10 mins only.

Look at all the games we have played this season including the  friendlys we don’t concede.

I think we will dominate possession at home and would be surprised if it wasn’t 70/30.

They couldn’t score at home in front of their so called hostile crowd, (could still hear the bears) wait til the noise hits these cunts at Ibrox.

They will crumble imo.

10 minutes ago, BoyBlue62 said:

You are right of course , Gerrard hasn’t learned anything , why don’t you call him and put him right , I am sure you know your stuff regarding game changing substitutions.

Hopefully he heeds your advice and makes changes earlier . Not because they are needed , just because he should.

Outstanding reply that my 6 year old son would have been proud of

48 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

It’s by the by now but he made the wrong sub at Pittodrie on the opening day of the season last year. Jack was playing well screening in front of the defence but for some reason he brought on Ejaira when Jack went off injured when the like for like change of McCrorie for Jack made for more sense in terms of helping us keep our shape. Aberdeen dominated the last ten minutes of the game then scored right at the end to take a point.

I thought at the time that was the right choice. We needed someone in midfield to come on and keep the ball to take the pressure off us. Ejara gave you that. Also it was his first league game in charge.

44 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

How many games did we draw last year where we didn't make any changes till too late in the game. We need to start gambling and turning these games into wins if we want to win the league. 

Nah. No buying that. We didn't loose games down to not making subs.

If that's your argument then the flip side is how many games did we win last year without making subs?

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

Nah. No buying that. We didn't loose games down to not making subs.

If that's your argument then the flip side is how many games did we win last year without making subs?

If the game plan works and we win that's great, but you need to adapt in some games. I think it's the one thing Gerrard needs to improve on (sure he will) to become an even better manager. 

While I was thinking he should also have made a sub when it looked like around 70 mins the game was going away from us, I can see why he chose to stick rather than twist.  Also imagine the bedlam in this place if he made a sub and it turned out the wrong decision!  He’d have been slaughtered on here for making the change so the manager can’t really win.

0-0 is a lot better than losing 1-0 and with the home tie next we should be confident of scoring twice if we look back at our home games in the competition so far.   

19 minutes ago, BoyBlue62 said:

He needs to learn to be proactive with his subs. It’s been an ongoing issue for the majority of his time here. Just because he’s Steven Gerrard it doesn’t mean he is beyond criticism and people can’t give their opinion on things.

16 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

Gerrard is obviously inexperienced however he seems to be doing a good job so far, but he doesn't seem to be learning re. subs and changing games that aren't going our way, and imo we should be looking to win the league this year as Lennon is a poor manager and they aren't the team they were a few years ago. The league is there for the taking but we have to be brave and go for it. If its 0-0 at Kilmarnock with 20 mins to go, I want to see us go 2 up front, get rid of the defensive midfielder and go for a winner!! Not bring on a like for like striker at 88 minutes!! 

So much wrong with that. Let's not get carried away because the tims got put out of europe and struggled against Dunfermline....They still scored 3 whem they got put out and still won their game against Dunfermlime. They also put 7 past st johnstone and 5 past motherwell so lets not pretend.

As for going 2 up front ten minutes towards the end of a game, well that is easy to say but changing a teams formation, players individual instructions, shape and much more isnt an easy thing to do. 

Clearly Gerrard is going to be a good manager but we need to stop 10iar and we need someone ready now, I'm hopeful that Gerrard is the man for us though, just think he needs to be braver/ more decisive in some games.  The 3 points for a win makes it worth risking the occasional lose for wins over draws! 

1 minute ago, berkshirebear said:

Clearly Gerrard is going to be a good manager but we need to stop 10iar and we need someone ready now, I'm hopeful that Gerrard is the man for us though, just think he needs to be braver/ more decisive in some games.  The 3 points for a win makes it worth risking the occasional lose for wins over draws! 

So will you be first on here if we drop two points going for a win and get beat saying "owell Gerrard went for it".?

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

So much wrong with that. Let's not get carried away because the tims got put out of europe and struggled against Dunfermline....They still scored 3 whem they got put out and still won their game against Dunfermlime. They also put 7 past st johnstone and 5 past motherwell so lets not pretend.

As for going 2 up front ten minutes towards the end of a game, well that is easy to say but changing a teams formation, players individual instructions, shape and much more isnt an easy thing to do. 

Yet the great managers like Ferguson, Mourinho etc manage to do it all the time...