*Official EL Group Opponents Thread*

BridgeIsBlue

Couldn't see a thread for this as I'm sure we had one last season, could be wrong though. 

Basically this will be updated with fixtures and results of the three teams we'll be facing as we look to achieve European football after Christmas for the first time since 2011.

1/9

1st placed Young Boys travel to Luzern who are sitting 2nd bottom of the Swiss Super League in a 3pm kick off. 

Feyenoord have a tough away trip on their hands as they go looking for their first victory of the Eredivisie season as they travel to face a Willem II side who top the table after three games,3.45pm kick off.

Then at 6.30pm we have Porto looking to continue winning ways with a home game against Guimaraes. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough encounters ahead, play like today and we are not getting a sniff of the next round. Feyenoord at home, get a win and set the tone. I think the international break has come at a good time, the team needs a rest and freshened up. Thought Thursday was alarming with how uncreative we were, sadly that continued this afternoon.

43 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Tough encounters ahead, play like today and we are not getting a sniff of the next round. Feyenoord at home, get a win and set the tone. I think the international break has come at a good time, the team needs a rest and freshened up. Thought Thursday was alarming with how uncreative we were, sadly that continued this afternoon.

Thursday we attacked a team who rely on their excellent defensive record and should have score more than once goal -- today we failed to attack a team who are poor defensively.  Our counter to that lack of midfield creativity normally comes from our width -- today we started 5 n the middle and no width -- odd decision. 

22 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Thursday we attacked a team who rely on their excellent defensive record and should have score more than once goal -- today we failed to attack a team who are poor defensively.  Our counter to that lack of midfield creativity normally comes from our width -- today we started 5 n the middle and no width -- odd decision. 

True, but Thursday showed us up for when teams go full out defence - and we scrapped it in the end. It didn't fill me with optismism for today tbh. The lack of creative midfield will be a problem, as it was last season, when we go up against teams at Ibrox determined to all out defend to the last kick of the ball.

4 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

The draw wasn't kind to us at all, it's a CL group in all but name.

Disagree. I think the draw could have been much more difficult both in terms of the quality of opponents and travelling involved.

If I was offered that draw beforehand I'd have bitten your hand off.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived