Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

Would like to see us go for a direct, wide 4-3-3 in Scotland 

Jack                                     Hagi                 1 x other dynamic midfielder

1 x quality RW            Morelos         Kent

We can play this 2 x 10 in Europe, where it has proved to be really effective

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If we only play 1 we need 3,  I think we could well play 2 at times this season so will need 4.

We often play 3 midfielders so need more. Is Hagi a central midfielder?  McCrorie hasn't been here and included in the numbers to have to go. I'd suspect we'll have around 5 players for central midfield roles, a couple for wide midfield/ wing, Hagi as a 10.

But regardless, imo we'll play 2 up a fair bit next season so need 4.

So if we play 4-3-3 most of the season but might want to play 3 at the back occassionally do you think we need 6 centre backs?

You can't just sign tons of players for every position in the possibility of playing random formations. There has been absolutely nothing to indicate we have remotely considered playing 2 up front and there's absolutely no need to have 4 strikers at the club. Total waste of money. And people moan about quantity over quality.

If we were going to play 2 up front as our main formation, every game from the start then sure. But we aren't going to and you don't need 4 strikers for the odd occasion we try it out (aka a goal down with 10 minutes to go)

16 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

he's 2 years in and been making the same mistakes from day one almost so I doubt a couple months lock-down will change anything

True but I feel lock down offers him the time for self reflection, to acknowledge his errors and improve on his mistakes. For me his biggest mistakes was not playing 2 up front  and not rotating the squad enough in league games. Leaving the team burned out by new year and struggling with injuries. I'm hoping he uses this transfer window to get us enough options to keep our style of play in league games fresh throughout the season. 

Also McCrorie was all heart and no footballing quality. 

He can run and put a tackle in but he is useless on the ball

He's not as good as Kamara or Davis. Davis had a few bad games at the end of the season which is sticking in people's minds but there were many times earlier in the season when he was our best player, or at least best midfielder

4 minutes ago, Broxi said:

So if we play 4-3-3 most of the season but might want to play 3 at the back occassionally do you think we need 6 centre backs?

You can't just sign tons of players for every position in the possibility of playing random formations. There has been absolutely nothing to indicate we have remotely considered playing 2 up front and there's absolutely no need to have 4 strikers at the club. Total waste of money. And people moan about quantity over quality.

If we were going to play 2 up front as our main formation, every game from the start then sure. But we aren't going to and you don't need 4 strikers for the odd occasion we try it out (aka a goal down with 10 minutes to go)

Wtf are you talking about 

1 goalkeeper, need 3.

2 fullback, need 4

2 CHs, need 4

1 forward, need 3 but if 2 forwards played regularly we need 4 in squad.

Who in the fuck suggests 6 CHs.

It's about adequate cover. Clubs have been doing it for years, we've been doing it for years.

Season just past we had Morelos, Defoe, Kamberi for one up front. We actually had Stewart too as an alleged emergency cover. If we go 2 upfront, which I think we may well do more regularly, then over the course of a season only having 3 forwards is a risk due to injuries, suspension, form etc.

I get you dont think we'll go 2 up front often, ive already said if thats the case only 3 forwards are needed. I happen to think we will and 4 are needed. But defo not 6 CHs 😂 especially not with Bassey seemingly being able to play left CH too 👍

7 minutes ago, Broxi said:

He's not as good as Kamara or Davis. Davis had a few bad games at the end of the season which is sticking in people's minds but there were many times earlier in the season when he was our best player, or at least best midfielder

id have big kaiser mccrorie before kamara, davis or aribo at the likes of tynecastle and pittodrie 

56 minutes ago, Always Rangers said:

Would only sign him if we can get rid of the likes of Jones, Barker and Murphy. Hopefully if signed we still get a quality striker to compete with Morelos

The get rid part I agree with. Though the wages won't be massive I don't see what they offer.

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Davis pre xmas form is a complete myth. Best player 🤣

Our best performances were without him in the side.

4-2 in Denmark, 2-0 at Motherwell, 3-0 at Hibs, 4-0 at County and 2-0 at Livi.

When he started we were nowhere near at top form in games vs Livi and Motherwell at home. Lost to scum, drew at Hearts. 

His best games were Hibs and Sheep at home. One was against 10 men and second against a injury hit sheep side.

His best game IMO was away to Porto - he covered every inch of that massive park, taking the ball of the toes of the Porto midfielders and driving into space.

It's like he was 25 again

11 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Would much rather he went to the taigs for 1-2 million and pushed Griffiths further out the picture there tbh

Wouldn't pay that for him tbf mate anything around 500-800k would be the most I'd pay. Can see Lennon signing him tho for them

51 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Ironically if we had more players who showed heart and put a foot in every now and again in the middle of the park our domestic campaign wouldn't have collapsed in late February/early March. 

38 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Davis pre xmas form is a complete myth. Best player 🤣

Our best performances were without him in the side.

4-2 in Denmark, 2-0 at Motherwell, 3-0 at Hibs, 4-0 at County and 2-0 at Livi.

When he started we were nowhere near at top form in games vs Livi and Motherwell at home. Lost to scum, drew at Hearts. 

His best games were Hibs and Sheep at home. One was against 10 men and second against a injury hit sheep side.

I didn't say he was our best player before Christmas. I said before Christmas there were times where he was our best player, or at least best midfielder, as in games where he was

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Ironically if we had more players who showed heart and put a foot in every now and again in the middle of the park our domestic campaign wouldn't have collapsed in late February/early March. 

If we had 3 players of McCrorie's ability in midfield we would have been no where near the title by February in the first place

Sadly, I don't think McCrorie is the answer although I don't see much difference between him and Polster.  I watched 3 of his games for Portsmouth where he played right-back and I thought he was okay. Not bad, but not great.

I think we would all love to see the lad make it but his time is running out and he knows it. 

In his last interview, it sounded to me that he was weighing up a possible Portsmouth option. It will be tough for him for sure.

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Because Gerrard is such a good judge of a player? 

Are we really going to argue whether a Champions League winning captain who has played or managed football at the highest level every day almost for the last 20 years and sees McCrorie 4x more often a week in training than we see him not even playing in matches, who plays in the same position as him has been beaten in judgement by us on the internet?

And I'm not saying it because Gerrard leaves him out the team, I'm saying it because I've seen him play too and he's not good enough, nor better than the other players at the squad

Just now, Hadron Collider said:

Lads, a question, because I don’t know,  who sanctions these deals for players? Is it Gerrard or someone else. I’d like to know who has the final word. 

Wilson will do most of the work, consulting with Gerrard along the way, and take them to the board who will have final say

3 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Are we really going to argue whether a Champions League winning captain who has played or managed football at the highest level every day almost for the last 20 years

What is this? 

And aye I'm saying he's generally a poor judge of a player considering the amount of absolute shite we've signed since he's came here. 

Archived