Selling Players

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

I’d much rather we negotiated and got some income in for the deadwood than pay the wages until their contract ends or, worse, pay them off. 

Agree and even if it meant we needed a couple of squad fillers and  no one was available for a lower price then a couple of loans and pick up a small part of thier salary would still leave us better off financially and no worse squad wise.

8 minutes ago, Swally said:

It's also professional mate, it strengthens our bargaining position if we do want to sell.

For eg. Lille probably knew they'd be able to unrest Morelos due to him voicing his want to leave, which might end up on us having to sell at a lower price than what we wanted.

We're playing hard ball though, and it might end very well or very badly for us imo

We should be playing hardball mate. We find the odd good player and cunts want to shaft us. I like this that we have set prices on our assets now. If you don’t meet the price, you can fuck off. We hold the contract. You want the player? Here’s the price. 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Tbh its a tricky one, has he improved since January 2018? Yes. 

Are there many championship clubs interested in him? Yes.

He had a great game in Denmark which raised his stock. His reputation went down internally with a red card, but the reality is he had a long term injury. Hes looked decent in games this pre season.

Does he have a future here? No. Is he good enough? Not to me.

In the current market, his age and interested parties, I still believe £1m is fair valuation.

I only know of 1 club interested and it could be lazy journalism due to the Irish connection. 

He did start off well enough or showed he could be useful, since that celtic game he has now went so far down the pecking order that he's behind Murphy and Barker. 

Clubs will see that and for that reason alone is why we won't get over a million in my eyes. 

If Jones was playing or getting started like barker has been then I'd agree that we could ask for more but he's now not in Gerrards plans and with the 2 new additions he'll be even further out of his plans. 

52 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Sell Tav, Jack and Kamara.

All 3 easily replaceable and get semi-decent money to buy what's needed.

I don't think Gerrard see's it that way though.

I dont think anyone sees it that way, never mind the manager FFS!

4 minutes ago, Del said:

I dont think anyone sees it that way, never mind the manager FFS!

Tav is maybe 1 that would be harder to replace but I think Jack and Kamara could be replaced pretty easily. 

However selling them all in the same window might be a mistake. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

well they should

I will indulge you...

Whether or not you rate Tav, Jack or Kamara the bigger picture is that if they are sold the only options we would be left with are Davis, Arfield (35 and 32 respectively) and Aribo.

How much is "semi-decent money" and who are they "easily" replaced by?

1 minute ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Tav is maybe 1 that would be harder to replace but I think Jack and Kamara could be replaced pretty easily. 

However selling them all in the same window might be a mistake. 

Tav would be very difficult to replace, but so would Ryan Jack, when hes fit hes one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

And even then with Kamara, he gets a raw deal from fans I think, he is a very good player and in another league would be even better.

I dont agree that any of them could be easily replaced...

Who would we replace them with and how much would that cost?

1 minute ago, Del said:

I will indulge you...

Whether or not you rate Tav, Jack or Kamara the bigger picture is that if they are sold the only options we would be left with are Davis, Arfield (35 and 32 respectively) and Aribo.

Just now, Del said:

Tav would be very difficult to replace, but so would Ryan Jack, when hes fit hes one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

And even then with Kamara, he gets a raw deal from fans I think, he is a very good player and in another league would be even better.

I dont agree that any of them could be easily replaced...

Who would we replace them with and how much would that cost?

For me lundstrom would be a massive upgrade and with only a year left on his contract we should get him for a decent fee. 

Just now, Del said:

I will indulge you...

You wouldn't only be left with them options, because you reinvest the money on replacements (and you've just literally said there that I said they'd be replaced) so I've no idea what you're even getting at.

How can you only be left with them Davis, Arfield and Aribo, when you acknowledge that I said myself they'd be easily replaced? the key is in the word replaced, meaning we won't be left short.

I reckon on a good day, to the right buyers you'd get 12-13-million, combined. 

Maybe 5-million Kamara, 3-million Jack and 4 or 5-million for Tav to some English mob that need their heads checked. 

4 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

You wouldn't only be left with them options, because you reinvest the money on replacements (and you've just literally said there that I said they'd be replaced) so I've no idea what you're even getting at.

How can you only be left with them Davis, Arfield and Aribo, when you acknowledge that I said myself they'd be easily replaced? the key is in the word replaced, meaning we won't be left short.

I reckon on a good day, to the right buyers you'd get 12-13-million, combined. 

Maybe 5-million Kamara, 3-million Jack and 4 or 5-million for Tav to some English mob that need their heads checked. 

What are you talking about?!

If they were sold that is exactly who we would be left with.

I then asked you how much would be classed as "decent money" and who they could "easily" be replaced by?

I didnt acknowledge that they'd be easily replaced, the very fact I questioned your point should prove that I dont acknowledge it.

Your valuation of our players is a daft as your point!

Just now, Del said:

What are you talking about?!

If they were sold that is exactly who we would be left with.

I then asked you how much would be classed as "decent money" and who they could "easily" be replaced by?

I didnt acknowledge that they'd be easily replaced, the very fact I questioned your point should prove that I dont acknowledge it.

Your valuation of our players is a daft as your point!

You said "we'd only be left with" and then contradicted yourself by saying that I said "they'd be easily replaced"

You are NOT "only left with" if I'm talking about replacing them. 

You can't be left short, if they're getting replaced. One point invalidates the other. 

That's why you came across as a fud that didn't know the point he was trying to make.

How is the valuation/s daft? Kamara was linked with 8 million pound moves to Leeds, Crystal Palace and Brighton, Tav has constantly been linked with 8-million moves to the likes of West Brom and Newcastle and Ryan Jack is another who just signed a bumper new deal mid way through last season and has been a midfield starter in our successful European campaigns. 

I'm not saying we'd get that for Kamara and Tav, but I'm pointing out there's interest there. 

So if you can't understand any of that just do me a favour and shut the fuck up. It's only my opinion don't let it bother you.

58 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

We should be playing hardball mate. We find the odd good player and cunts want to shaft us. I like this that we have set prices on our assets now. If you don’t meet the price, you can fuck off. We hold the contract. You want the player? Here’s the price. 

I just hope it doesn’t come back to bite us mate, I have a feeling it will

1 hour ago, Moody Blue said:

I’d much rather we negotiated and got some income in for the deadwood than pay the wages until their contract ends or, worse, pay them off. 

The problem with getting rid of deadwood is the wages they are on with us, if another club isn't willing to match or better the only reason they would leave is if they wanted to play football but if that means dropping a big lump in wages I would imagine most would sit where they are and collect whatever they are getting and who could blame them.

6 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

The problem with getting rid of deadwood is the wages they are on with us, if another club isn't willing to match or better the only reason they would leave is if they wanted to play football but if that means dropping a big lump in wages I would imagine most would sit where they are and collect whatever they are getting and who could blame them.

I agree with your point but that isn’t what’s being debated here, it’s how bad our selling model is.  I’m sick of paying players off and 2mins later they’re signing on with someone else. 

Theres just too many FM and FIFA players here. It's easy to say "sell the deadwood" but you need to have someone willing to pay money for these guys. Who is going to pay money for Greg Stewart? Brandon Barker? Davis, etc. If you're lucky some are out of contract but the shite we have brought in has no sell.om value. Even the likes of Defoe. That's why I hate when we are linked with the likes of Zungu and shite from Motherwell. Seems we are determined to fill up our sqaud with filler.

3 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

I agree with your point but that isn’t what’s being debated here, it’s how bad our selling model is.  I’m sick of paying players off and 2mins later they’re signing on with someone else. 

But surely that's a major part of the debate is it not? , how do you sell on deadwood if they are on much larger wages with us that others aren't willing to match and deadwood decide to stay put?.

8 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Theres just too many FM and FIFA players here. It's easy to say "sell the deadwood" but you need to have someone willing to pay money for these guys. Who is going to pay money for Greg Stewart? Brandon Barker? Davis, etc. If you're lucky some are out of contract but the shite we have brought in has no sell.om value. Even the likes of Defoe. That's why I hate when we are linked with the likes of Zungu and shite from Motherwell. Seems we are determined to fill up our sqaud with filler.

Exactly. 

and let's be honest, who do you think we will replace Hastie, Stewart, Jones and Barker with? ... we're going to plunder the likes of Ross County and Motherwell and just replace them with like-for-like shite on similar contracts (at a guess anything between 5-10k a week), couple of hundred grand signing-on fee's and 3-year contracts.

Rinse and repeat. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Exactly. 

and let's be honest, who do you think we will replace Hastie, Stewart, Jones and Barker with? ... we're going to plunder the likes of Ross County and Motherwell and just replace them with like-for-like shite on similar contracts (at a guess anything between 5-10k a week), couple of hundred grand signing-on fee's and 3-year contracts.

Rinse and repeat. 

If we havent got the cash to fill the squad up with quality we should be looking to the youths before handing out inflated contracts to dross.

The money we have wasted over the years is frightening. I still cant believe the money McCoist threw away  going up the leagues... 

7 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

If we havent got the cash to fill the squad up with quality we should be looking to the youths before handing out inflated contracts to dross.

The money we have wasted over the years is frightening. I still cant believe the money McCoist threw away  going up the leagues... 

I totally agree with that. 

But, you still have to consider the fact that it's a squad game too and we need fillers like these guys. We can't have 25 Barisic's, Morelos', Roofe's, Kent's or Hagi's.

I don't like these players we've got in the squad tho, I think we spend too much money on dross if I'm honest.

I just think we could strike a much better balance when doing it to keep the squad numbers up, healthy and competitive. 

My gripe is, the guys that's deadwood just now, it's not with hindsight we could tell you they would be shite (with the exception of the wee bent shots on forums and Rangers social media pages that love to welcome anyone, falling in love with any signing we make)

Stating the obvious, but squad players should be guys that aren't on a par with our first 11 (or 13/14) but have no issues in bringing them in to do a job over the course of a long season.

Even though he's a wee rat, Derek McInnes, for example - I never had any issues with Advocaat or Walter Smith, if we had injuries bringing him in to do a job here or there ... likewise Billy Dodds and countless other guys like Stephen Thompson and Fraser Wishart through the years.

It's just about being clever and sometimes even looking a little beyond just actual footballing ability (within reason, to an extent) and doing some sort of character profile fit and see if they've the heart and character to succeed too.

11 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

I've just re-read this and missed your point about the youth and I also agree.

I don't think our youth are good enough and developed enough to start games for us on the surface of it BUT you can't tell me we don't have some youths that could have came in and done worse than the likes of Barker or Stewart. 

and saved ourselves thousands every week. 

That's not me saying play the youths, it's just me asking if, as squad-fillers, would they have done worse than the guys we've threw thousands at? 

Archived