Davie Wilson Book At Waterstones.

doc holliday

Now on sale in hardback at Waterstones .

' Wilson on the Wing' by Davie Wilson and Alistair Aird.

Foreward by Walter Smith.

Davie was one of the best players ever to pull on a Rangers shirt.

Part of that great international and class  left flank of Eric Caldow,Jim Baxter and  Davie.

A regular attendee at Ibrox too.

Amazing team back then, names that will live on forever.

Read a few of Aird's books on McCoist and a few articles he's got online on other players always comes across as a good writer and probably is a Rangers fan. 

Aird actually reached out to Wilson by contacting him on Facebook, asking him if he could write his story, which I thought was a nice touch. 

Davie Wilson - “The saying ‘once a Ranger, always a Ranger’ definitely applies to me and I try to get along to as many games at Ibrox as I can. 

Davie scored an incredible 157 goals for Rangers in a career spanning over a decade with the club, he once turned down a move to Everton, which would have made him the most expensive player in British football at the time breaking the record set by the Jimmy Greaves transfer from Milan to Spurs. 

Later on in his Manager career he once signed a young Walter Smith while managing Dumbarton. 

10 hours ago, They Gnu said:

He played in the first match I attended, a friendly v Morton about 1963ish we won 2:0 just remember this blonde headed guy bombing up and down the wing.

My first match was watching him against Stirling Albion. We won 6-0. I believe he scored twice that day. 

Davie Wilson was a very underrated Rangers player.  I actually met him at a lodge harmony in Cambuslang at Lodge Buchanan many years ago and found him delightful company.  He's a non-smoking teetotaler and played a good few times for Scotland too.  On the few occasions I've met Rangers players, I actually feel quite shy but Davie was beyond polite.

A true measure of the man in his career after leaving Rangers:  some years ago, I read that after a game at celtic Park between celtic and Dundee Utd., Jimmy Johnstone had a fine game in a celtic victory.  Davie Wilson was waiting at the tunnel at the final whistle to offer him his congratulations.  This recognition meant so much to Johnstone since it was a fellow player offering it right at the end of the game.  Says a lot about Davie Wilson so it does.  

Archived