Meanwhile in Germany.......

Mafeking St.

Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, the Bundesliga has made headlines for how it has managed a difficult, unprecedented situation.

Germany's top flight was among the first to return from the induced break and, this weekend, it was among a select few leagues on the continent to bring fans back to stadiums.

Six out of the nine host teams were allowed to welcome supporters on the first matchday of the season, with the number of spectators ranging from 4,600 to 9,300, filling 10 to 25% of the stadium seats.

Permission was granted by the local health offices that have managed the pandemic in Germany since March, with RB Leipzig one of the first clubs to reach an agreement with the authorities.

Last season's Champions League semi-finalists beat Mainz 3-1 on Sunday - and here's what it was like to be inside the stadium to see it.

Leipzig were allowed to give out 8,500 tickets through a lottery open to season-ticket holders.

Most of the blue and turquoise seats of the Red Bull Arena, which has a capacity of 44,146, remained empty but there was a buzz in the stands.

The lucky ones who won a ticket seemed happy and full of energy when they poured through the stadium gates, wearing their protective masks as demanded by the club.

"It was the best experience for me and many others to finally be back in the stadium, to hear our anthem and, of course, the victory song," said Tony, who started visiting Leipzig's matches back when the team were still playing in Germany's second division. He was happy that he could meet with other supporters again and drink a beer after the game.

Once the match kicked off, Tony and the 8,500 made as much noise as possible, clapping, stomping and shouting relentlessly. Everything was stacked against Mainz, who did not bring any of their supporters with them due to one of the requirements of health authorities, as only locals were able to get tickets.

Julian Nagelsmann's side quickly turned the match into a one-sided affair. When Swedish winger Emil Forsberg scored from the penalty spot in the early stages he made sure to greet the fans first before hugging his team-mates.

Gone are those awkward moments when players were running towards stands and cheering without anyone there to respond to them.

In the days before the match, RB Leipzig released a rulebook for every spectator to follow. As well as standard advice on hygiene and physical distancing, the club thoroughly explained its safety regulations.

The stadium was divided into 15 sections, with each one hosting about 600 fans. Up to six people were allowed to sit next to each other. Five or so seats and at least two rows were empty between these groups to ensure physical distancing.

Spectators showed a remarkable discipline. "I thought the requirement to wear a mask in your seat was excessive," Tony said. "But no-one complained."

That the hosts would beat Mainz was never really in doubt. With Leipzig 3-1 up early in the second half, fans had plenty of time to make it to the concession stands, which had to close 15 minutes before the final whistle thanks to another of the dozen or so rules.

While Forsberg and his team-mates confidently passed the ball to each other, stadium announcer Tim Thoelke informed the spectators they should wait for a couple of minutes after the match, so that those close to the exits could leave first.

Tony noticed that the departure was less organised than the arrival. Every ticket holder had to arrive within a specific time window before the match to get to their seat, but it was up to the spectators to leave safely and in an orderly manner.

As a few hundred were still waiting 10 minutes after the match, Leipzig's players marched through the arena and applauded those whose support was missing for months. In a way, it might have also been a thank you to them for being disciplined and co-operative.

Throughout the Bundesliga, fans were praised for how they adhered to the rules, knowing that this could be the beginning of a path back to normality.

What works in one country won't always work in every other country as a blanket rule.

There's a lot you need to take into account - like match day travel, facilities in and around the stadiums, fan behaviour, the infection rates, local by-laws etc.

I get everyone wants to get back into stadiums and life's back to normal but it's not a one size fits all approach. We've still work to do. People are getting agitated which is understandable but we can't be stupid either.

Some of the rules I don't get and think are daft - but let's just ride it out (for now).

47 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

What works in one country won't always work in every other country as a blanket rule.

There's a lot you need to take into account - like match day travel, facilities in and around the stadiums, fan behaviour, the infection rates, local by-laws etc.

I get everyone wants to get back into stadiums and life's back to normal but it's not a one size fits all approach. We've still work to do. People are getting agitated which is understandable but we can't be stupid either.

Some of the rules I don't get and think are daft - but let's just ride it out (for now).

The thing is you can sit on a plane with 300 other people and no social distancing but can’t sit in an outdoor arena with a mask on and umpteen seats between punters,it’s fucking lunacy.

2 minutes ago, Dickie said:

The thing is you can sit on a plane with 300 other people and no social distancing but can’t sit in an outdoor arena with a mask on and umpteen seats between punters,it’s fucking lunacy.

Aye there's a lot of rules that don't make much sense to me

1 hour ago, Teamgers said:

What the fuck is the point of sitting in a stadium with a fucking mask on whilst watching the game, it's utter fucking bollox, you cannot shout, sing or do fuck all, you'd be as well at home watching on TV and having a bevvy ffs.

FFS for as long as I have gone ( 25 years plus ) people have complained about the atmosphere and now in the midst of a pandemic you do? Have a word with yourself!

11 hours ago, Dickie said:

Two different scenarios mate and both not as risky as made out by scare stories.

Most of the air in the planes go through HEPA filters and if people are wearing masks and sanitising then the risk is safer than most peoples houses.

Outdoor in stadiums is also less risk with the fresh air and again add in masks and sanitising to the circulation areas then the risk is controlled to a reasonable level. 

When we played Leverkusen all their fans came to Ibrox and at that time the Düsseldorf/ Cologne area was the hot spot in Germany with no evidence to say anything was passed onto everyone at Ibrox.

Ive been to Düsseldorf 3 times since we came out of lockdown and Düsseldorf was crazy busy with street festivals, bars and parks mobbed yet they don’t seem to have an increase.

Im also flying back to the UK tomorrow from the canaries with my two elderly parents (both 73, smokers and underlying health conditions) and i have no issues about this.

Ive stayed away from the UK news for nearly two weeks but started reading it and project fear is still in full affect.

Its all doom and gloom and the world seems to be ending but it’s all bullshit IMO.

We don’t need a full lockdown we just need sensible precautions (masks and sanitising) and to super shield the vulnerable until the scientists and docs lead us out it.

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

Two different scenarios mate and both not as risky as made out by scare stories.

Most of the air in the planes go through HEPA filters and if people are wearing masks and sanitising then the risk is safer than most peoples houses.

Outdoor in stadiums is also less risk with the fresh air and again add in masks and sanitising to the circulation areas then the risk is controlled to a reasonable level. 

When we played Leverkusen all their fans came to Ibrox and at that time the Düsseldorf/ Cologne area was the hot spot in Germany with no evidence to say anything was passed onto everyone at Ibrox.

Ive been to Düsseldorf 3 times since we came out of lockdown and Düsseldorf was crazy busy with street festivals, bars and parks mobbed yet they don’t seem to have an increase.

Im also flying back to the UK tomorrow from the canaries with my two elderly parents (both 73, smokers and underlying health conditions) and i have no issues about this.

Ive stayed away from the UK news for nearly two weeks but started reading it and project fear is still in full affect.

Its all doom and gloom and the world seems to be ending but it’s all bullshit IMO.

We don’t need a full lockdown we just need sensible precautions (masks and sanitising) and to super shield the vulnerable until the scientists and docs lead us out it.

Thanks doctor. 

12 hours ago, Dickie said:

Exactly that mate.  I’ve travelled abroad twice in the last 3 weeks for work, both times resulting in wearing a mask for around 9 hours on multiple flights and mostly beside someone I’ve never met before.  It can be done, but the bottom line is that some people in power pick and choose how the rules are applied and in what circumstances.  It’s as simple as that.

Fuck sake, imagine trying to get our supporters to keep to the rules! 

• Turn up on time - aye right.
  • wear masks the whole time - not a fucking hope.
  • Leave in an orderly fashion - only the subway loyal....

Christ, you get the arseholes who can't got 2 hours without a fag! You would have idiots arguing with the security left, right and centre on every little point that they don't think they've done anything wrong when they clearly have. You see it every week at the game.

I am disappointed to even have to write this, the disappointment being because I know its true.

13 hours ago, badjon said:

FFS for as long as I have gone ( 25 years plus ) people have complained about the atmosphere and now in the midst of a pandemic you do? Have a word with yourself!

Away and don't talk shite, the very point I was making was about the atmosphere, do you really think that a handful of fans in a 50K stadium helps, whilst basically gagged!

20 hours ago, British_Empire said:

You not pisses off you spent £500+ on a ST and still cant get in to the stadium? Being Rangers it wont be a lottery it will be aligned by money spent....

5 minutes ago, Rambo1872 said:

You not pisses off you spent £500+ on a ST and still cant get in to the stadium? Being Rangers it wont be a lottery it will be aligned by money spent....

No not really. 

We got someone to take the season book in my name off my hands anyway. It's old ground but them not contesting celtic getting awarded a title they never won, the cheating in the Scottish game against Rangers and the inception of their MyGers extortion scheme scunnered me beyond belief - then when that wee nonce Stewart Robertson's comments about anyone taking an issue with the players kneeling for BLM don't come back just re-affirmed my (personal) choice was the correct one for me.

I don't really want to go into it all because it's old ground. There's been arguments about it all. But I still don't regret it. I'm comfortable with my decision when I made it and even moreso now. I'm enjoying watching the games on the telly in the pub but I do want things back to normal for all the good fans who's still passionate and want to go cheer on their team. 

Maybe slightly hypocritical as I still do the European trips (if it's a place I've not been before) because I like travelling and seeing new stadiums, but each to their own. I hope we continue to sell 50 thousand season tickets every season regardless of the cheating, who's in charge of us and their policies for the club. It's just not for me. I might change my mind one day, but at the moment I don't see it.

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

No not really. 

We got someone to take the season book in my name off my hands anyway. It's old ground but them not contesting celtic getting awarded a title they never won, the cheating in the Scottish game against Rangers and the inception of their MyGers extortion scheme scunnered me beyond belief - then when that wee nonce Stewart Robertson's comments about anyone taking an issue with the players kneeling for BLM don't come back just re-affirmed my (personal) choice was the correct one for me.

I don't really want to go into it all because it's old ground. There's been arguments about it all. But I still don't regret it. I'm comfortable with my decision when I made it and even moreso now. I'm enjoying watching the games on the telly in the pub but I do want things back to normal for all the good fans who's still passionate and want to go cheer on their team. 

Maybe slightly hypocritical as I still do the European trips (if it's a place I've not been before) because I like travelling and seeing new stadiums, but each to their own. I hope we continue to sell 50 thousand season tickets every season regardless of the cheating, who's in charge of us and their policies for the club. It's just not for me. I might change my mind one day, but at the moment I don't see it.

Sure the guy paying your st for you is delighted he got it this season. Surprised he never just gave it back to you 😅

1 minute ago, Rambo1872 said:

Sure the guy paying your st for you is delighted he got it this season. Surprised he never just gave it back to you 😅

:lol: technically it's his book now, but it's kept in my name for points etc. He get's all the tickets he wants (and is eligible for) from it when the crowds come back and you can apply for away games etc but I get the European away tickets (if it's a new place) - it's a good deal for us both I suppose but aye it's shit luck for this season for him.

Archived