Goram

Goram probably the best shot stopper I've seen but McGregor might shade it for all round ability. Goram played behind a good back four, plus due to size generally stayed on his line. Saying that, did watch Mcgregor at Hull alot (where i live) and thought he was prone to lapses/errors but since he's been back he's been unbelievable- probably motivation to play for the team he supports.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen Woods, Goram, Klos way back when. Goram was immense, but I'm totally stuck between him and McGregor. 

Was at the 3-3 game with a great view from the West enclosure when the goalie made that great save from PVH, and even when he saved it I though it was still going to go in the top corner.

I do actually think McGregor v Bremen shades it thought as he stops in his tracks and changes direction and tips it onto the bar. 

Overall contributions/saves I find it hard to separate them though. 

Don't think Klos or Woods are up there with either of them, though they were great keepers. 

On a side note, I thought Charbonnier was pretty decent aswell. 

9 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Not sure he was quite there to be honest. Had Schmeichel and Seaman playing for England’s best two at the time. As great as peak Goram was I don’t think he’s better than Schmeichel. 

Schmeichel was hugely over-rated because he played for United.

When you consider that Goram was the shortest top flight keeper in Britain, not to mention an overweight drunk for much of the time, I think he was easily in Schmeichel's league, if not better, ability and talent-wise (as did Brian Laudrup, who played with Schmeichel about 80 times), and well clear of Klos and McGregor. Physically he had no right to even be good, nevermind THAT good. His longevity, or lack of it, is a valid aspect to criticise though.

Archived