Silent Rangers

As a Catholic Rangers fan can i just say how i feel about the recent sectarian songs debate.

Having attended Ibrox, and the occassional away games, for the last 15 years or so, i have allways felt obliged not to join in to any of the songs sung by my fellow bears. I am not particularly religious, however hearing derogitory songs about my religion and my older relations who may be classed as 'fenians' has allways bothered me.

I am Scottish and proud to be so and have no desire to sing about events in a country i have never visited, or one which has only a small place in the history of our club. No one can deny that a vast amount of our fans do harbour sectarian feelings, however being brought up as a Catholic in a Catholic school, i can assure you that at least as many Celtic fans feel the same way. These feelings towards another religious group, although not welcome, do not bother me in the slightest outside of football as i am not involved in them. However, I hate going to Ibrox and not being able to support my team vocally because of the songs sung by an element, and in the past a majority, of our fans. I'm sure i'm not the only silent Ranger out there, and i'm sure that many of you dont like singing these songs, however nothing is going to change unless us silent minority sing up and drown out the bigots

I have not stated that any of the songs are secterian, however you know fine well Emerson that a lot of the songs carry secterian undertones to them. I was referring to songs about being proud to be protestants and songs referencing Northern Ireland. I am not saying that these songs are unlawful or secterian in anyway, just that a lot of our fans are rightfully uncomfortable singing them

"As a Catholic Rangers fan can i just say how i feel about the recent sectarian songs debate"

Well you do there. But aside from that it is the 'add-ons- which are indeed causing all the trouble. If the Celtic fans are allowed to sing songs about murdering British servicemen and the likes then it is difficult to argue against singing in praise of our fallen heroes. Then again it is difficult to argue as to what the hell any of this garbage has got to do with football... (tu)

I have not stated that any of the songs are secterian, however you know fine well Emerson that a lot of the songs carry secterian undertones to them. I was referring to songs about being proud to be protestants and songs referencing Northern Ireland. I am not saying that these songs are unlawful or secterian in anyway, just that a lot of our fans are rightfully uncomfortable singing them

all i can say is that it is most of the crowd that sing those songs that you dont like, and its your right not to sing the songs, but if other fans want to sing the songs then that is up to them, and i dont mean the ftp gang, there is no place for it, but the other songs are no problem, and have been sung for decades, also the two songs the sash and derrys walls are the two loudest you will hear.

the Irish issues are slipping into the past now we have to let them go and evolve as a Club. it doesn't mean denying the Club history its just we have to move with the times which are mega politically correct right now

I think even Father Ted would get banned if it was on the go today! Anyway we want our Club to be bigger than a religious affiliation. We are a multi cultural society now so we all have to be more cosmopolitan and not narrow minded and tribal and that goes for the Celtic fans as well

the Irish issues are slipping into the past now we have to let them go and evolve as a Club.

It's not slipping into the past when you consider the huge support we have from Northern Ireland. Some of the posters from here are from Northern Ireland.

I don't think you should directly link the Protestant link with our Club to Northern Ireland. Everyone knows how the majority of Rangers fans feel about the Union. If Protestantism was totally eradicated from Rangers, there would still be a huge following from people who support the Union, such as people who live in Northern Ireland.

The Fenian bit always did annoy my dad(being catholic himself)but he always sought solace in the fact that he was christened into a faith with just as much hate as Protestanism.

Both sides are as bad as each other(and i'm talking minority here)

the Irish issues are slipping into the past now we have to let them go and evolve as a Club.

It's not slipping into the past when you consider the huge support we have from Northern Ireland. Some of the posters from here are from Northern Ireland.

I don't think you should directly link the Protestant link with our Club to Northern Ireland. Everyone knows how the majority of Rangers fans feel about the Union. If Protestantism was totally eradicated from Rangers, there would still be a huge following from people who support the Union, such as people who live in Northern Ireland.

by the 'irish issues slipping into the past' I was thinking of the latest settlements and end of terrorism

As a Catholic Rangers fan can i just say how i feel about the recent sectarian songs debate.

Having attended Ibrox, and the occassional away games, for the last 15 years or so, i have allways felt obliged not to join in to any of the songs sung by my fellow bears. I am not particularly religious, however hearing derogitory songs about my religion and my older relations who may be classed as 'fenians' has allways bothered me.

I am Scottish and proud to be so and have no desire to sing about events in a country i have never visited, or one which has only a small place in the history of our club. No one can deny that a vast amount of our fans do harbour sectarian feelings, however being brought up as a Catholic in a Catholic school, i can assure you that at least as many Celtic fans feel the same way. These feelings towards another religious group, although not welcome, do not bother me in the slightest outside of football as i am not involved in them. However, I hate going to Ibrox and not being able to support my team vocally because of the songs sung by an element, and in the past a majority, of our fans. I'm sure i'm not the only silent Ranger out there, and i'm sure that many of you dont like singing these songs, however nothing is going to change unless us silent minority sing up and drown out the bigots

A fenian is someone who supports the creation of a (dis)united ireland by violent means, it has nothing to do with religion.

I personally have no more problem with RC Bears than I have with RC players and I'm sure the vast majority of Protestant Bears feel exactly the same way.

the Irish issues are slipping into the past now we have to let them go and evolve as a Club. it doesn't mean denying the Club history its just we have to move with the times which are mega politically correct right now

I think even Father Ted would get banned if it was on the go today! Anyway we want our Club to be bigger than a religious affiliation. We are a multi cultural society now so we all have to be more cosmopolitan and not narrow minded and tribal and that goes for the Celtic fans as well

Does that mean septic will stop playing their anti-British chip on the shoulder potato famine durge before games?

Well just sing the bluebells are blue intaeyerself or uself as ye say tae urself Meet ye in the District Bar on Saturday before the game, wear a shamrock in yer lapel ? PS - I'll have a Lily in oot ma gerdan ! :sherlock:

Good post. We have to balance a fine line in not forgetting totally the past just getting a little/much more into the present.

Good post. We have to balance a fine line in not forgetting totally the past just getting a little/much more into the present.

Yes, I also think it is a good post. (tu)

The vast majority of the rangers support will stop all non correct chants / songs and will support the fight against the idiots who dont. The chants im referring to are the blatant ones like FTP, anything paramilitary- eg- UVF, UDA, any mention of catholicism, the term fenian ( although debatable ), any overt and derogatory slurs about anyones religous / political persuation, anything racist. If these things are not chanted or songs sung containing these terms then we are ok. The issue of Derrys Walls, The Sash etc whenever they are disected you'll find contain nothing either offensive or derogatory or anything that is abusive to any other person or group. Thats not to say there wont be people that dont like them but these songs are perfectly legitimate. Some have asked what those type of songs have to do with RFC? The same could be asked of say West ham singing about blowing bubbles or celtic singing the irish national anthem ( which is by the way a military song ) ? Although there has in the past been some arguement suggesting an unbalanced view on gers fans and the flack they get, there is no one to blame now but a section of our own so called supporters that just cant understand the difference between whats acceptable and whats clearly not. Most of us know what needs to be cut out and it will be but dont start attacking all of our songs just because they might have a protestant or pro british tone to them, thats a good thing and we should be proud of them and defend them always, just dont add alternative lyrics. For what its worth and as a mark of the love i have for Rangers im begging anyone out there who has been guilty of perpetrating these chants of late to please stop now as the club is in real danger like never before of self destructing. And it wouldnt be retrievable.