Michael Mols - Behind the smile.

bluenose244

59 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Great day.

Also got the Simpsons Hit and Run that year and that used up all my school holidays đŸ˜‚Â 

Mate it’s like Parent Trap all over again. Maybe we are twins without knowing it… could swear I had the same presents from Santa!

On 07/12/2021 at 18:49, McEwan's Lager said:

Probably the best start to a Rangers career in my life time alongside Marco Negri. But he was a better footballer than Negri and he done it to an extent in Europe.

He was brilliant but I think maybe (and this is going to be extremely controversial) overrated by our support because of his injury when he got it as it became a bit of a what if.

Its possible that was just an outstanding purple patch of his career given his age and that none of the big three had come in for him (had started his career at Ajax but was released).

I remember Advocaat saying that his knee was perfectly fine post recovery and the damage was maybe more psychological, but he was defo less of a player. If you look at his scoring records at Twente then Utrecht his trajectory was definitely upwards, was he not Holland’s player of the year before we spent 4m on him? a lot of cash at that time.

The Ajax Academy was probably Europe's most prolific when it came to producing top players at that time, no real slur on Mols he was released.

I dont think he was overrated at all, he exploded when he came here scoring  9 times in is first 9 league games and in the c/l as well, a very real what if for me.

On 07/12/2021 at 13:49, McEwan's Lager said:

Probably the best start to a Rangers career in my life time alongside Marco Negri. But he was a better footballer than Negri and he done it to an extent in Europe.

He was brilliant but I think maybe (and this is going to be extremely controversial) overrated by our support because of his injury when he got it as it became a bit of a what if.

Its possible that was just an outstanding purple patch of his career given his age and that none of the big three had come in for him (had started his career at Ajax but was released).

Definitely extremely controversial. 
Best start to a Rangers career you say along with Negri but better footballer. 
He was brilliant and overrated because of injury? Tortured defenders in Scotland.

What if?  Outstanding purple patch at that time of his career?

Released by Ajax. What’s that got to do with him coming to us and performing superbly? Surely that’s what counts most.

5 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Definitely extremely controversial. 
Best start to a Rangers career you say along with Negri but better footballer. 
He was brilliant and overrated because of injury? Tortured defenders in Scotland.

What if?  Outstanding purple patch at that time of his career?

Released by Ajax. What’s that got to do with him coming to us and performing superbly? Surely that’s what counts most.

I mean overrated in the grand scheme of things. Over the years I've consistently read things like he was world class and if he continued like he did at us he would have ended up at a major club in Europe and I just don't think that is the case. I think getting the injury meant that it's allowed a chunk of our support to elevate him to a player that he probably wasn't. 

If you look objectively at his career before and with us he was behind even Pierre van Hooijdonk and Peter van Vossen in the national team set up, one of the big teams in Holland had never come in for him and he was turning 29 in the year he signed for us.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

I mean overrated in the grand scheme of things. Over the years I've consistently read things like he was world class and if he continued like he did at us he would have ended up at a major club in Europe and I just don't think that is the case. I think getting the injury meant that it's allowed a chunk of our support to elevate him to a player that he probably wasn't. 

If you look objectively at his career before and with us he was behind even Pierre van Hooijdonk and Peter van Vossen in the national team set up, one of the big teams in Holland had never come in for him and he was turning 29 in the year he signed for us.

You mean like Ryan Jack? 

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

But no one has ever claimed Ryan Jack is a world class player or was going to end up at Real Madrid or Man Utd.

No one claimed Mols would either end up at those clubs. He was a breath of fresh air for us and was taking the league by storm. Wonderful player and could’ve gone on to greater things with us barring the injury.