New Signings and Euro Squad

Given we have a few new signings in and linked with a few more, we have to choose a Euro squad which will mean leaving some players out who might otherwise expect to get picked:-

GK:
1. McGregor (c)
2. McCrorie (c)

3. McLaughlin

Def:
4. Souttar (n)
5. King (c)

6. Tav
7. Goldson
8. Helander
9. Bassey
10. Simpson
11. Zukowski
12. Barisic
13. Katic

Mid:
14. Lowry (c)
15. Wright (n)
16. Arfield (n)
17. Jack (n)

18. Lundstrum
19. Kamara
20. Davis
21. Sands
22. Hagi
23. Fulgini

FW:
24. Kent
25. Morelos
26. Roofe
27. Sakala
28. Colak
29. Lawrence
30. Matondo

The players highlighted in Blue cant really be dropped from the squad as they are either Club or Nation trained, and dropping any of them wont allow us to replace them with a non-domestic trained player.

Say we sign Fulgini (or another similar calibre player in that position) and Matondo, we have to drop 5 players from the above list not highlighted in Blue, which 5 would you choose?

I would probably choose the following :-

Simpson, Katic, Davis, Hagi, Sands.

4 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Given we have a few new signings in and linked with a few more, we have to choose a Euro squad which will mean leaving some players out who might otherwise expect to get picked:-

GK:
1. McGregor (c)
2. McCrorie (c)

3. McLaughlin

Def:
4. Souttar (n)
5. King (c)

6. Tav
7. Goldson
8. Helander
9. Bassey
10. Simpson
11. Zukowski
12. Barisic
13. Katic

Mid:
14. Lowry (c)
15. Wright (n)
16. Arfield (n)
17. Jack (n)

18. Lundstrum
19. Kamara
20. Davis
21. Sands
22. Hagi
23. Fulgini

FW:
24. Kent
25. Morelos
26. Roofe
27. Sakala
28. Colak
29. Lawrence
30. Matondo

The players highlighted in Blue cant really be dropped from the squad as they are either Club or Nation trained, and dropping any of them wont allow us to replace them with a non-domestic trained player.

Say we sign Fulgini (or another similar calibre player in that position) and Matondo, we have to drop 5 players from the above list not highlighted in Blue, which 5 would you choose?

I would probably choose the following :-

Simpson, Katic, Davis, Hagi, Sands.

As it stands

Simpson, Zukowski (on the basis that Divine can back up Tav), Katic, Sands and Hagi (injury)

If we could extend Kent, Morelos and Bassey and get the other two in then I'd be delighted but I expect to lose at least one of the three, in which case there's still work to be done on direct replacements

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Could add Davis to that list, or even Sakala and Helander. 

It was mostly as I doubt the first 3 will play, Hagi heard rumours on here he’s a good way off, Roofe if he’s injured then no point being in.

All 3 of those I can see playing at some point.

10 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Well the alternative is we don’t have anyone in mind at all. It also happens all the time in football.

I think it's clear they think the need isn't significant enough to use the limited resources to prioritise it - sadly.

The idea that they think we desperately need a keeper, and have someone in mind but we'll wait a year to go for them is a bit ridiculous with all the uncertainties that go with that.

8 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I think it's clear they think the need isn't significant enough to use the limited resources to prioritise it - sadly.

The idea that they think we desperately need a keeper, and have someone in mind but we'll wait a year to go for them is a bit ridiculous with all the uncertainties that go with that.

I don’t think they believe we desperately need a keeper. Maybe had Johnstone in mind, but he went to Palace.

McLaughlin

6 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

McLaughlin has shown himself to be capable and has, imo, earned the right to be given the chance.

That means that we would have needed to have 2 keepers as part of our 17 non home/association trained players - or sign another association trained keeper like Zander Clark, Liam Kelly etc. In this context the extra year for McGregor makes sense as he's every bit as good as any association trained keeper (Craig Gordon may be an exception but is at the same age etc and wouldn't be available anyway)

If McLaughlin bombs we need a new number one (or give McCrorie a chance), if he continues to impress we still face the dilemna of  adding a second non association trained goalkeeper as part of the 17 or sign an association trained back up.

I'd hope for McCrorie to really be pushing McLaughlin this season as I still think there's a potential for him to be the next McGregor but it really needs to happen very soon.