4 Year Contracts

Craiggybear

I think most of the frustration comes from offering injury prone players long contracts, I've never understood us even being interested in them in the first place, the argument I hear most is that we couldn't afford them otherwise but what is the point in having them if we only get a couple of months a season out of them? the signings of Roofe and Helander for instance had me shaking my head because I knew what would happen,great players when fit but they just disrupt the continuity after playing for what seems like a handful of games, and the genius who thought Soutar would stay fit should have been shown the door, I know his injury is different from his past problems but I'll bet a pound to a penny when he eventually gets over this one it won't take long before something else crops up and keeps him out long term. 

34 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

4 year contracts are beneficial if the player develops into a selling on prospect. Unfortunately most of the time they’re either complete dross or injured for us 

Look at that Helander Injury list prior to signing for Rangers..... 

Ankle injury,  knee Injury, fractured rib, knee injury, muscular problems.... did we need to offer a 4 year contract to land him? Would he have knocked back a 3 year deal? Now he's on the books till 2023/24.

Should we be offering 4 year contracts to players with that kind of injury history?

47 minutes ago, Craiggybear said:

Look at that Helander Injury list prior to signing for Rangers..... 

Ankle injury,  knee Injury, fractured rib, knee injury, muscular problems.... did we need to offer a 4 year contract to land him? Would he have knocked back a 3 year deal? Now he's on the books till 2023/24.

Should we be offering 4 year contracts to players with that kind of injury history?

We seem to think as a club that the benefits outweigh the risks with these types of players. We seem to go in with the viewpoint that if these players can get fit they will be a great asset, which they would be, but they rarely do get fit 

12 hours ago, Craiggybear said:

Ofoborh, Borna, Kent, Kamara, Roofe, Helander, Lundstram, Matondo, Souttar to name a few......

Have 4 year deals always been our standard? Seems to be our go-to offer for any player we sign and then we start regretting it a season later for one reason or another.

Looking at others in the league, scum in particular, they do short term then IF they've been proven they offer long term. They've got folk like mooy on 2 years, that wee hobbit prick forest on 3 years, and they didn't offer the Japanese cunts 4 years until they did a 1 season loan first.

Did it not used to he the case we would offer 2 years and then resign for 4 as a reward if they played well?

Forrest came through their Academy and three of the four Japanese players Celtic signed were four year deals when they joined and the other signed a loan deal with a commitment to sign a four-year deal when the loan ended.