General Transfer Talk

Broxi

2 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Think you would be looking at at least 8 million for him.

Aye I wouldn’t pay that for him probably 6 at a push, might get him cheaper towards the end of the window but we really need players in early, we really need to be picking these players up earlier both Piroe and Gyokores could’ve been had for under 1.5m a couple seasons ago. 

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

Is that the mad bbc journo cunt? 

I’d imagine he will be down south but apparently defo not going to turkey 

Aye mate, he said the same earlier.

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

Evans was atrocious last night 

Rangers fan so that doesn’t matter..

6 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Who’s ditching their academy?

Well Brentford did for one. 

Was costing them a couple million bucks a year so they said screw that mierda.

They run a more mature 'B team'...I think...not really tracking specs on Brentford TBH.

Which I think is fine...to an extent.

However, they are heavy into analytics.

Given Rangers very limited funds, I think the same approach would prove more successful, and cost effective. 

Also, look at teams like the Dutch side AZ Alkmaar who employ a highly statistical approach.

They have gone from mid to lower table door stops to pretty decent success. 

Analytics dominate for a reason. 

Finally, all of these processes can be outsourced for the heavy statistical lifting, leaving staff and analysts to examine data.

You will see this more and more in the future. 

Rangers need to get in. 

6 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

So just 1 then years and years ago?

Grabban, Mcburnie, Waghorn, Sharp, Clarke, Assonbalonga, Wells, Martin etc all have had a few decent seasons

Then plenty of average guys who’ve done very well for a year like Vydar but get poached by a Prem team for inflated prices. 

Most strikers who have one or two good years either get promoted, get poached by a prem club or another league. It’s probably the most saturated market in world football

But we should continue to use the cross border loop hole as that’s where we have an advantage 

4 minutes ago, Tao said:

They run a more mature 'B team'...I think...not really tracking specs on Brentford TBH.

Given Rangers very limited funds, I think the same approach would prove more successful, and cost effective. 

Also, look at teams like the Dutch side AZ Alkmaar who employ a highly statistical approach.

Finally, all of these processes can be outsourced for the heavy statistical lifting, leaving staff and analysts to examine data.

Rangers need to get in. 

I do get the moneyball thing and the use of analytics. It's worked for Brentford and for Brighton in the English leagues, but I do feel your statistics are only as good as the information mined. 

It's a high risk system that could lower the talent pool considerably if we were to get it wrong, which is why I wouldn't want to take that risk (not at this relatively early stage in its use in football, although I believe it's successful in other sports). 

54 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I think you’re overestimating the championship, it’s not la liga or the bundesliga, of course we can attract championship players especially if they are last year of their contract. 

Players who score that many goals in the Championship, nevermind 23 year olds who do so, don't typically come up to Scotland.

Typical signing targets from England are players who score that in League One. 

We can attract Championship players, but not the top ones. Much better league than ours and I would assume any striker scores more goals for us in our league than they were getting in the Champ too. 

14 minutes ago, Tao said:

Rangers need to get in. 

How many players have made the jump to Brentford's first team?

Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

I do get the moneyball thing and the use of analytics. It's worked for Brentford and for Brighton in the English leagues, but I do feel your statistics are only as good as the information mined. 

There is a saying 'garbage in...garbage out' or to steal from Pausanias...'Know thyself'

You have to have a system...you have to have a strategy. 

Then you still require the people to look at the intangibles. 

Is this a team player, does he get along with other players and staff? what is the psychology of the prospect?...off field issues? Etc.

People often think that with analytics you punch some numbers into a computer, and it provides your prospective squad. 

There is still legwork. 

The human element is still a key factor. 

It's a high risk system that could lower the talent pool considerably if we were to get it wrong, which is why I wouldn't want to take that risk (not at this relatively early stage in its use in football, although I believe it's successful in other sports). 

As high risk as a 99% academy failure rate? 

As high risk as successfully selling or employing a few players over the past decade? 

As for lowering the talent 'pool' I assume you are referring to current or future Rangers academy players?  99%...ok I will spot you one...98%. 

Academies are inefficient, dinosaurs who act as a community assistance project. 

4 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

How many players have made the jump to Brentford's first team?

Not sure, can you get those numbers for me? Gracias amigo. 

May assist the conversation. 

Currently 9 in the table though.

5 minutes ago, Tao said:

Not sure, can you get those numbers for me? Gracias amigo. 

May assist the conversation. 

Currently 9 in the table though.

Can't think of any off the top of my head. They do regularly spend £15m+ on players though.

12 minutes ago, Tao said:

There is a saying 'garbage in...garbage out' or to steal from Pausanias...'Know thyself'

Is this a team player, does he get along with other players and staff? what is the psychology of the prospect?...off field issues? Etc.

People often think that with analytics you punch some numbers into a computer, and it provides your prospective squad. 

There is still legwork. 

As high risk as successfully selling or employing a few players over the past decade? 

As for lowering the talent 'pool' I assume you are referring to current or future Rangers academy players?  99%...ok I will spot you one...98%. 

You're looking at it in a fairly linear pov regarding academies i feel. 

They do serve a wider purpose than to mine money. There is a community element to it that is vitaly important to local communities in Scotland and in terms of helping young people with mental health etc as well as fostering the next generation of Rangers fans. 

The issue we have had with the academy is promotion through to first team and from a selling point of view. We never seem to sell when we should or when a person's stock is high. We've also produced players like Gilmour and NYC who have been poached by premiership clubs. There have been talented players come through the ranks at Rangers (Fleck as well), we just haven't monetised the youth system as well as we should have. 

For what its worth, i'm not completely against moneyball, I just don't think it's right for us. 

2 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Not sure if this is a joke or serious. 

Phil Jones has barely kicked a ball for 5 years.

Best defender in the world at one point before it went downhill. Surely worth a punt to try get him back to those levels.

50 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Takes 5 seconds to google.. And helps have a sensible, informed player discussion. Only morons would discuss a player and ban all use of stats. They’re pretty fucking important 

But talking of pulling stats out your arse. 8 million you just made up 😂

That wasn’t a stat. That was an informed guess purely based on the types of fees you tend to see players going for in that league :pipe:

22 minutes ago, Tao said:

There is still legwork. 

Suspicious as fuck poster imo

45 minutes ago, Tao said:

Rangers need to get in. 

Don’t mention statistics on here. You’ll get chased out.

In all seriousness I think there’s a difference between an academy approach for Rangers/celtic vs Brentford. And this applies somewhat to the giants in any league

Our player scouting area is essentially massive in comparison. We have access and ability to scout not only half of Glasgow. But also the potential to scoop the talents from the whole country. (Someone like Rice we took from Motherwell).

So we essentially have a large claim on all Scottish youth talents (although we still seem to cock it up).

In the same way that Barca basically has a monopoly on any good youngster in Spain. 

I’d imagine clubs like Brentford have access to a fraction of the young player pool we do. So it’s a totally different equation 

Somebody who’s more informed on what academies do can happily put me right, but with the way that English clubs are coming in and hoovering up any young player who shows real potential I think you do have to question what the point of an academy actually is long term tbh.