Kevin Thomson

36 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

It’s important for the club to have solid ex pros around who can not only represent the club well but impart the correct mentality into younger players. There has to be a balance between that and jobs for the boys. I’ve not heard too much negative about Thomson as a coach but I’m sure there are plenty on here that know more than me. 

There's plenty think they know better.

22 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

And you know it.

So why hasn’t he got any of the several jobs he’s gone for? Raith appointed Ian Murray, Dundee appointed Bowyer, Falkirk got McGlynn to drop a division after doing well at Raith, Hibs went for Lee Johnson, Airdrie made Rhys McCabe player boss so it isn’t that they just went with the same old names that have failed everywhere else.

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So why hasn’t he got any of the several jobs he’s gone for? Raith appointed Ian Murray, Dundee appointed Bowyer, Falkirk got McGlynn to drop a division after doing well at Raith, Hibs went for Lee Johnson, Airdrie made Rhys McCabe player boss so it isn’t that they just went with the same old names that have failed everywhere else.

Maybe because he's too closely connected with Rangers and that's not that welcome in Scottish football. it's not as if he's not at Rangers all the time anyway in one capacity or another.

Young footballers would rather learn from people who have actually made a career in football and know what it takes.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

Maybe because he's too closely connected with Rangers and that's not that welcome in Scottish football. it's not as if he's not at Rangers all the time anyway in one capacity or another.

Young footballers would rather learn from people who have actually made a career in football and know what it takes.

Clubs aren’t passing on hiring a manager because they played for us 15 years ago then managed our 20s for a bit. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Clubs aren’t passing on hiring a manager because they played for us 15 years ago then managed our 20s for a bit. 

Maybe his strong connections to us or maybe because they know he wants to manage us one day.

Have you ever played football before serious question or been coached at any level?

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

Maybe his strong connections to us or maybe because they know he wants to manage us one day.

Have you ever played football before serious question or been coached at any level?

Played amateur as an adult but also been coached by several guys either currently or recently coaching/managing in the top two tiers of the SPFL (one of them a Scottish Cup winner as player and manager)

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Played amateur as an adult but also been coached by several guys either currently or recently coaching/managing in the top two tiers of the SPFL (one of them a Scottish Cup winner as player and manager)

I wasn't having a dig here it was a serious question, weirdly enough.

Did you not find when you were at coaching sessions and they were handled by someone who had made his name in the game young players gave that wee bit extra as they knew the coach knew from experience what you needed to make it. And you thought maybe he will spot my talent and help me achieve my goals.

Not saying all good players make good coaches but as a young player you want to impress someone you look up to more.

12 minutes ago, Smile said:

I wasn't having a dig here it was a serious question, weirdly enough.

Did you not find when you were at coaching sessions and they were handled by someone who had made his name in the game young players gave that wee bit extra as they knew the coach knew from experience what you needed to make it. And you thought maybe he will spot my talent and help me achieve my goals.

Not saying all good players make good coaches but as a young player you want to impress someone you look up to more.

To some degree, yeah, but when we’re talking about guys who are pro, they’ll often dig that wee more out to impress the guy that picks the team, regardless of playing career. Look at the first-team manager. No real playing career to speak of but he’s hugely respected 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Your posts are getting more and more ridiculous. 

49 minutes ago, The Dude said:

To some degree, yeah, but when we’re talking about guys who are pro, they’ll often dig that wee more out to impress the guy that picks the team, regardless of playing career. Look at the first-team manager. No real playing career to speak of but he’s hugely respected 

Fair enough it's not a big thing to have a difference of opinion on one way or the other for me. I'd like it to happen some wont I can accept that.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Tbh some people are excellent coaches but not good managers. There's plenty of content out there that suggests KT is a very good coach especially for kids/youths, that doesn't automatically mean he'd be suited to be a club manager.

3 hours ago, Smile said:

2 of the 5 managers he named played for Rangers.

10 hours ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

2 of the 5 managers he named played for Rangers.

They were hardly of the same standing as Thomson or as entwined in our club or so vocal on us in the media or still continued to work at Rangers.

Thomson’s mistake was the job he took to get make a step into management. Ferguson achieved just as much with Kelty and no one will touch him with a barge pole. That experience is almost non existent. 

6 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Thomson’s mistake was the job he took to get make a step into management. Ferguson achieved just as much with Kelty and no one will touch him with a barge pole. That experience is almost non existent. 

Ferguson got the Alloa job off the back of what he did at Kelty.

1 hour ago, J-Maestro said:

What do you mean exactly? That was a step up. :lol:

Alloa approached and were unable to appoint 2 other bog standard managers before they appointed him, and it was ultimately a “look who we have” appointment. His record is absolutely horrific and Thomsons Kelty stint has proven to be borderline pointless. 

3 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

What do you mean exactly? That was a step up. :lol:

Sorry to revisit, but the ultimate Rangers mans “step up” to alloa athletic in the same league and when he’s been in management 7 years prior to that really says more than I ever could. I dont know Thomsons motivation for chucking Kelty after getting them promoted, but a manager that truely believes in his ability would have at least seriously contemplated taking on a division that the tactical genuis Rhys McCabe managed to navigate and gain promotion from with a similar budget. Thomson wasnt even interested, anyone with any knowledge of it will know that.