Danny Armstrong

6superbarry6

McCausland is going to have a have a dip sooner or later, not a criticism of him, it happens to every young winger. We still need another player for RW. 

Makes perfect sense to me to get Armstrong for probably £1-1.5m(?) to rotate with McCausland for the next 18 months or so. 

I understand the comparison with Jones, but I don't think Armstrong's anywhere near as reliant on pace, and we've seen what happens when we sign SPL wingers who play in counter-attacking systems with room to run-into, then join us and consistently struggle against low blocks. I think Armstrong is a bit more technical and could still function in a dominant team.

The biggest issue with Scott Wright is his productivity. Almost any supporter you ask about him will say the same thing: the first thing he does is often very good but he consistently fails to deliver on the next move - whether it's a pass, shot, or dribble. He'll also be looking for a move again, after nearly leaving in the summer, so he's clearly not a medium/long term option. 

We've got a severe lack of depth in attacking players just now. If we could replace Wright with Armstrong, I think we're getting a better player, and - crucially - a player who'll produce more opportunities for our strikers over the next few seasons. 

57 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

You’re still level with Motherwell at Fir Park, ten minutes to go, 3 points wins the league, a draw sees another scum title.

You look at your bench and your only forwards are Armstrong and Wright.

Who do you send on? Be honest.

Thats like saying Danilo gets injured and the only person on the bench is Dessers, both not Rangers class at this present time, i dont think Armstrong is Rangers class, hes done nothing of note apart from a good game yesterday, we done the same with Jones, he scored against us and we signed him and he was shite, we have much more important requirements just now, we badly need a striker and a midfielder in January, we can cover right side with McCausland, Matondo and Wright, I dont see the need to take a risk on another right sided player. We need to stop spending money on players who might be ok, weve spent enough on mediocrity in the last few seasons.

2 minutes ago, BlueboyG said:

Thats like saying Danilo gets injured and the only person on the bench is Dessers, both not Rangers class at this present time, i dont think Armstrong is Rangers class, hes done nothing of note apart from a good game yesterday, we done the same with Jones, he scored against us and we signed him and he was shite, we have much more important requirements just now, we badly need a striker and a midfielder in January, we can cover right side with McCausland, Matondo and Wright, I dont see the need to take a risk on another right sided player. We need to stop spending money on players who might be ok, weve spent enough on mediocrity in the last few seasons.

Both wrong. Armstrong has been one of the best wide players in the league the past 18 months and Jones scored that goal after we signed him.

7 minutes ago, BlueboyG said:

My experience of Rangers buying players who score against us goes all the way back to a guy called Billy Urquhart who played in the Highland League iirc but Armstrong is no Billy Urquhart believe me.

:pipe:

15 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Both wrong. Armstrong has been one of the best wide players in the league the past 18 months and Jones scored that goal after we signed him.

Aye it was after, Rugby park, i was there :confused:, my thinking is he was an on form winger at the time and we signed him and he turned out not good enough, I think we have more pressing issues than right wing just now, we badly need a striker, we badly need a midfielder, if the manager thinks Armstrong is worth signing then ill back him but i dont think we need to.

24 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

My experience of Rangers buying players who score against us goes all the way back to a guy called Billy Urquhart who played in the Highland League iirc but Armstrong is no Billy Urquhart believe me.

:pipe:

I can remember one player who scored against us frequently and we signed him. Who was it ?

47 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

I’m not saying Armstrong is the answer, but it seems like a lazy comparison to compare Armstrong to Jones. Armstrong has far better stats, while playing for what is a far worse Kilmarnock side.

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I’m not saying Armstrong is the answer, but it seems like a lazy comparison to compare Armstrong to Jones. Armstrong has far better stats, while playing for what is a far worse Kilmarnock side.

Yeah I dont get it either. Far better technically, works harder and has a far better end product. He's played wing back a lot for them as well with the game in front of him so it's not as if he just plays on the last man and runs in behind. He's good enough on the ball to potentially play as a second striker as well imo.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

How much cash would it take to get Armstrong mate? I think this is a no brainer. 

Not a clue mate but guessing maybe a million tops?

Agree it's a no brainer, really like him.

1 minute ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Not a clue mate but guessing maybe a million tops?

Agree it's a no brainer, really like him.

👍 I don’t know how to find old posts, but I’m pretty sure way back I said we should be going for Armstrong. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Best wide player in the league outside us and the filth, we need a wide player, he won’t cost much, if it’s not a no brainer I don’t know what is. 

Would say he's probably better than the majority of wide players at us and them tbh

Just now, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Would say he's probably better than the majority of wide players at us and them tbh

Agreed and has something our wide players apart from Sima lack in an actual end product, think he’d be ideal for our right side being a left footer who tucks in allowing Tav the space on the wing.