Olympics 2024

6 minutes ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

Sometimes we might take Murray for granted, but when you look at his career in perspective its insane.

He won Wimbledon twice, two Olympic golds, US Open and world number 1 in a period when the three greatest players to ever play the game were at their peak. 

To have achieved what he did in any era would have been amazing, but in this one it's just astonishing really.

Often wondered how he would have gone if in the previous era up against Sampras and Agassi. Probably won a lot more slams than he did, but probably not as much as those two?

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Often wondered how he would have gone if in the previous era up against Sampras and Agassi. Probably won a lot more slams than he did, but probably not as much as those two?

yeah I'm the same. It's hard as think the grass was quicker in the 90s which suited Sampras.  Instinct says he'd win more yeah, maybe struggle with peak Sampras on grass but win more elsewhere, with some good battles with Agassi.

3 hours ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

Biologically male

Absolutely zero proof of that btw. The IBA claim she failed their tests but they are refusing to clarify what tests and how they are measured. 

All the evidence seems to point that she is biologically female but just has a very high amount of testosterone.

It sucks for her opponent of course but this is nothing like a man competing in women boxing. 

7 hours ago, Inigo said:

Haha. I have a friend that says she doesn't like Andy Murray because he's dour. What utter rubbish. Dry sense of humour, yes. Dour, give me a break. 

Kind of tweet I'd expect...

I watched him hitting with Lendl and a bunch of random children on the practice courts at the O2 in 2012 and he seemed like a very relaxed, outgoing, fun bloke.

Unsurprisingly he's more reserved in front of cameras and interviewers who asked him shite about the England football team and Dunblane. 

7 hours ago, Jelle1880 said:

Absolutely zero proof of that btw. The IBA claim she failed their tests but they are refusing to clarify what tests and how they are measured. 

All the evidence seems to point that she is biologically female but just has a very high amount of testosterone.

It sucks for her opponent of course but this is nothing like a man competing in women boxing. 

Wrong. It is a DSD case and no female has XY chromosomes and yet this man did as well as going through a male puberty. It is not simply elevated testosterone. 

34 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

Wrong. It is a DSD case and no female has XY chromosomes and yet this man did as well as going through a male puberty. It is not simply elevated testosterone. 

This really shows just how pointless this biological debate is. You and @saintbob1969 no doubt both entirely agree on who is and isn't a woman, and yet completely disagree on why. For him, if you have a womb, you're a woman, and if you don't, you're not, even though some people with XX chromosomes don't have a womb. For you, if you have XX chromosomes you're a woman, if you don't you're not, even though some people have a vulva and a uterus but XY chromosomes. Both of you, however, would call people who fall into these categories "men", even though they exhibit no more biological characteristics of men than they do of women, except either the lack of womb or the chromosome, which you make the deciding factor.

The reason why we treat women as special weaklings who need to be protected, but don't do the same to weak men, is because of social characteristics imposed on them by humans, not biological characteristics bestowed on them by nature. These social characteristics certainly apply to, eg, a person assigned female at birth in Algeria

9 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think there's a chance he could have won more than Agassi, and I say that as a massive Agassi fan. He certainly could and likely would have handily beaten any of Agassi's slam final opponents, except Sampras, whom he still might have on hard courts.

They both had physical issues, but Agassi was much weaker mentally. 

4 minutes ago, JamieD said:

This really shows just how pointless this biological debate is. You and @saintbob1969 no doubt both entirely agree on who is and isn't a woman, and yet completely disagree on why. For him, if you have a womb, you're a woman, and if you don't, you're not, even though some people with XX chromosomes don't have a womb. For you, if you have XX chromosomes you're a woman, if you don't you're not, even though some people have a vulva and a uterus but XY chromosomes. Both of you, however, would call people who fall into these categories "men", even though they exhibit no more biological characteristics of men than they do of women, except either the lack of womb or the chromosome, which you make the deciding factor.

The reason why we treat women as special weaklings who need to be protected, but don't do the same to weak men, is because of social characteristics imposed on them by humans, not biological characteristics bestowed on them by nature. These social characteristics certainly apply to, eg, a person assigned female at birth in Algeria

If the IOC brought back the cheek swab tests that would answer the question. Oh and I do not need any man to do my thinking for me. I know that XY is male regardless of what other parts a person has. Women you see have  no XY chromosomes unless they have Swyer Syndrome which is very rare. Caster Semenya is a case in point where he was mistakenly believed to be a woman but had undescended testes, went through male puberty and has fathered 2 kids.

4 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

If the IOC brought back the cheek swab tests that would answer the question. Oh and I do not need any man to do my thinking for me. I know that XY is male regardless of what other parts a person has. Women you see have  no XY chromosomes unless they have Swyer Syndrome which is very rare. Caster Semenya is a case in point where he was mistakenly believed to be a woman but had undescended testes, went through male puberty and has fathered 2 kids.

Ok, so you concede that women can have XY chromosomes and your statement was false. 

As for the part about not needing men to do your thinking for you, take a day off. If you are only prepared to discuss things with women, that's your business, but don't try to cloak it in some sort of pseudo-feminism :lol:

Not sure I have ever seen someone look as much like their dad as Kokhan the hammer thrower there. Must be weird to know exactly what you're going to look like in 30 years. 

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I don't really get the hammer throw. They should throw an actual hammer. Like a big fuck off sledge hammer. Or a Thor's hammer.

Sounds like a teuchter opinion to me, Hamish. 

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Or, because it's the Olympics, why don't they have a trident throwing contest.

I liked when they brought back laurel wreaths for the medallists in Athens 2004. They should Hellenise the competition in general, regardless of where it's held. 

1 hour ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

There is zero evidence she was born as man ffs. You're basically just buying into what the IBA says because it suits your narrative, despite the fact that to this day they still haven't made clear what tests she failed and how.

1 minute ago, Jelle1880 said:

There is zero evidence she's a man. Prove that she has XY chromosomes or just admit you bought into bullshit from twitter.

Even if she does have XY chromosomes, BNB has no idea whatsoever whether she is indeed one of the exceptions BNB has already acknowledged exist. She just wants her to be a man. 

Why are long jumpers so pish compared to the Lewis/Powell days?

The longest jump this year is a foot short of the world record. 

There is only one jump in the last 15 years in the top 20 jumps of all time. 

1 hour ago, TheKingObv said:

Athletics starts this morning.

BBC coverage of it will be intermittent at best so spent £3.99 for a month of discovery plus where can select any sport you want and get full coverage.

I get that the other events are more advanced towards medal stages, but why can't they just have an athletics only channel on iPlayer, and show the highlights of everything on TV? 

Frankly couldn't give a toss about synchronised diving and rowing when track and field is on.