166 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Kris Boyd in the Ranegrs Team

• Aye, Keep him
    • Naw, sell him

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I always see people comparing Boyd to ancient strikers? I think that says something.

because he is an old fashioned centre forward perhaps?

He cant reasonably be compared to a lot of other players. To compare him to the likes of JCD and Naismith is folly, and comparable to the age old argument on boards that had mixed supporters of "Who was best, Larsson or Laudrup?"

Cant be done!

You say, 'do you like him?'. The answer to that has got to be 'no'. He is one of those players who will never be really popular with a lot of the support IMO. His body language, general attitude and physical attributes all work against him. It is amazing to think that with his record his future is a talking point.

Of course what you mean is, 'do you rate him?'. There's no denying that he has something special when it comes to scoring goals. Say what you like but his record is phenomenal. I would persevere with him myself as goal scorers do not grow on trees.

Two questions I would ask regarding Kris Boyd are:

1) do we score less goals when he is out of the team ? No I would say. I wouldn't be surprised if the stats showed we scored more.

2) do we play better with him in the side ? Again, I would say no.

Who cares what his goals stats are. We need to look at the bigger picture, which is how the team as a whole is functioning.

Sorry,

BUT

Probably the most ridiculous question I have ever seen!

The guy is trying his best, his goal soring record is second to none, BUT in certain games he's not he answer. That doesn't mean get rid of him. Horses for courses. We need a squad and Kris is a VERY important member of that squad. Any more sensible questions?

:rangers:

Get RID!!! Get some dosh for him while we still can! We don't need him, and he is a CRAP footballer!!! and I know more than 17 of you agree with me!

he is at best our 3rd best striker....on a good day that is!

McCoist would openly admit he was a crap footballer too.

He's our clubs best all time goalscorer ya nugget.

What do you have to say to that?

Truth (though I doubt very much Coisty would actually admit that. ;)). Boyd can score buckets of goals, but he won't when playing on his pea pod up front.

Play him with a partner and you'll reap benefits. Play him alone, and you might as well take a gun to your ain hoof.

1) do we score less goals when he is out of the team ? No I would say. I wouldn't be surprised if the stats showed we scored more.

Who cares what his goals stats are. We need to look at the bigger picture, which is how the team as a whole is functioning.

(tu) (tu) (tu) a good golascorer but we have to play what is best for the team as a whole. Boyd isn't the answer. Starting place on the bench, if we are 2, 3 up, someone takes a knock/needs rested or we are losing and need a goal then bring him on.

Results would suggest otherwise though mate.

So far this season our good performances have been against Aberdeen, Lyon, Stuttgart, Falkirk and although we didn't win possibly RSB away as well. Coincidently Boyd didn't start in ANY of those games.

On the other hand our poor performances have come against Motherwell, St Mirren, Gretna Hearts and Hibs. Games that Boyd did infact start.

It's probably worth noting that against Inverness and Killie we started poorly and Boyd started both games. After he was replaced (by JCD vs Killie and Novo vs Inverness) then we looked a far better team, and it is infact teams, not individuals, that win you titles.

I'm not insinuating that he's not the sole reason for us not playing as well in the games we didn't win, but his lack of ability as a general footballer is obviously having some affect on our ability to play as a cohesive and effective unit.

The teams success should ultimately come before Boyd's personal accolades (tu)

You have to go way back to the days of Jim Forrest to find a goal scorer as prolific in his early career.

Anticipation...coolness in front of goal...initiative...reading of the game...timing... all the skills of the clinical finisher. His record speaks for itself - top scorer 2 seasons running - and he hasn't even been in a championship winning team.

There is probably no better player in the squad....position by position....and I include Ferguson in that.

Seeing as he is our most prolific talent - why dont we build our game around him

You have to go way back to the days of Jim Forrest to find a goal scorer as prolific in his early career.

Anticipation...coolness in front of goal...initiative...reading of the game...timing... all the skills of the clinical finisher. His record speaks for itself - top scorer 2 seasons running - and he hasn't even been in a championship winning team.

There is probably no better player in the squad....position by position....and I include Ferguson in that.

Seeing as he is our most prolific talent - why dont we build our game around him

I agree, certainly in some games, i.e Lyons away he ain't suited to WS' desried fromation, so fair enough, but in the SPL, two up front, Boyd should never be out of the team.

In answer to a couple of earlier posts, our most complete performance at home last season was arguably against the Jambo's at Ibrox, where Dado was ripping to shreds, Boyd scored both our goals and started. Defeats the argument for those other two posters. We can all pick games that suits, Aberdeen 3-0 Boyd hat-trick secured CL football.

Football is about scoring goals, no one remebers who stopped most goals but everyone remembers who scores them, so to coin a phrase

"haud yer wheesht"

In answer to a couple of earlier posts, our most complete performance at home last season was arguably against the Jambo's at Ibrox, where Dado was ripping to shreds, Boyd scored both our goals and started. Defeats the argument for those other two posters. We can all pick games that suits, Aberdeen 3-0 Boyd hat-trick secured CL football.

And your post there has brought up what many see as a massive problem with his game: Kris Boyd is only up for it when it suits Kris Boyd.

The game against Hearts when he scored 3 was his first start of the season and he was effectively sticking two fingers up at PLG saying "you should play me"

Again the Aberdeen game had something at stake, an incentive almost, in the form of garuanting the Champions Legaue place and he scored a hatrick with ease.

Is it coincidence that after the game against Aberdeen, he only scored one more league goal all season and that happened to come against Celtic. Another time when he has almost had to prove a point and as a result motivated himself for the game?

And your post there has brought up what many see as a massive problem with his game: Kris Boyd is only up for it when it suits Kris Boyd.

The game against Hearts when he scored 3 was his first start of the season and he was effectively sticking two fingers up at PLG saying "you should play me"

Again the Aberdeen game had something at stake, an incentive almost, in the form of garuanting the Champions Legaue place and he scored a hatrick with ease.

Is it coincidence that after the game against Aberdeen, he only scored one more league goal all season and that happened to come against Celtic. Another time when he has almost had to prove a point and as a result motivated himself for the game?

Have you ever considered Dado the style we are playing does not suit him ?

For instance there was Walter telling us through the week that the sole striker role does not suit KB....yet what does he do come Saturday ?

For instance there was Walter telling us through the week that the sole striker role does not suit KB....yet what does he do come Saturday ?

Yeah obviously that has to be considered too, but does KB offer enough to the team besides goals to justify building a team around him?

I don't doubt his goal scoring ability, but the game has moved on and advanced so much that being a goal scorer just isn't enough anymore.

Yeah obviously that has to be considered too, but does KB offer enough to the team besides goals to justify building a team around him?

I don't doubt his goal scoring ability, but the game has moved on and advanced so much that being a goal scorer just isn't enough anymore.

Given the paucity of support he got on saturday, he had laid a few balls on for others, but the support was so slow, JCD would have looked pish. You seem to accept JCD against Stuttgart running his ass off, then crossing into the box for no one up in support, bet if it was Boyd he'd get it in the neck for not finding a man!

The wings were not the only source of despair for us in watching Walter's side. Walter started with Kris Boyd up-front on his own. Whether we dislike him as a player or not, this column doesn't need to address that considering we can analyze the contradiction in Walt's comments and then resulting decision. On Friday, he was asked about Kris Boyd in the press conference. He stated, "There's no doubt Kris is better suited to playing with a partner and I'm trying to achieve a proper balance.'' But, the next day he decided to play Kris on his own, without a partner. Smith said post match, "I just felt it was better to change things from the Lyon game and give Kris a chance. But, I appreciate it wasn't ideal for him. We were hoping to get closer to him.'' This must have been frustrating for Kris.

http://www.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?op...50&Itemid=2 ;)

I dont really believe that Dado - at the end of the day its goals that count - nothing else.

His goals are what he offers to the team - thats it. And he is exceptionally good at it.

Has the game really moved on that much since the days of Coisty - who offered little if anything more than Boyd - its just he was surrounded by better players who could create more...plus he played in a system which was favourable to him with a perfect foil in Hateley.

I dont really believe that Dado - at the end of the day its goals that count - nothing else.

His goals are what he offers to the team - thats it. And he is exceptionally good at it.

Has the game really moved on that much since the days of Coisty - who offered little if anything more than Boyd - its just he was surrounded by better players who could create more...plus he played in a system which was favourable to him with a perfect foil in Hateley.

It's also a solid defence that counts - ask Newcastle about whether goal scoring alone was enough to win a trophy. And this was a team that fielded the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand, Owen et al on a regular basis not so long ago. Boyd getting a hat-trick if we go down 4-3 or 3-2 every week might look good on his personal stats but it will get us no closer to winning the Championship or making headway in Europe.

Football is a team game and -rightly or wrongly- Walter is attempting to build a unit first and play to our strengths. Kris Boyd has a role in this IMO but not as lone striker in a 4-5-1 and the team should not be built around a guy whose game has so many flaws and whose motivation is questionable. If we want success then we build from the back, that's the basics in football and that's what every successful manager has done.

That said, Walter's tactics and selection have cost us eight points and that has to stop. I have no issue with Boyd being played with a partner if the opposition suits it (especially at home, where it should be a settled 4-4-2) but he has to fit into a system that gets the best out of him and not the other way around.

McCulloch and Boyd = Hateley and Boyd?

Id go for Naismith Boab...but to be honest we seem to be struggling with 4-4-2....maybe even a front three with Boyd in the centre.

I agree, my instinct still tells me that Boyd can be a conveyer belt of goals for now and in future but he is isn't as indispensible as he once was in terms of going through the squad with a tooth-pick and seeing the different types of strikers we now have.