A better atmosphere

Ted E Bayer

Which is more significant?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion

• Card display
    • Wall of noise

I'm always banging on about atmosphere and noise levels at Ibrox in here. Mainly because I want my club and my stadium to be the best, the loudest and the most formidable.

Atmosphere for any club can be a huge asset to the team. Oppositions can crumble under the pressures of playing in a unique atmosphere that they are not used to. That atmosphere is all about the noise that we generate and the noise can only be loud when sung together.

I would love to see the club and/or the supporters clubs try new incentives at big european games or against the manks and/or even against regular SPL team (albiet the latter would be harder to achieve). Card displays are an awesome sight but pale into insignificance to the effect that a unified sing-song can bring, whether it be an organised anthem or a unified bouncy (all sang/bounced in unison). This is the sort of thing that the supporters clubs should be trying to achive before big games instead of putting all their efforts into card displays.

I'd trade all the card displays for the option to generate a wall of noise and succeed in once again becoming the most formidable support in Britian since before the unfortunate removal of the Billy Boys. It's more effective way of helping Ibrox return the "fortress" that it once was and should be.

Which would you prefer?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the occasion.

I love the card displays, they bring a touch of class to our Euro Nights that few can replicate. (especially the soap dodgers)

I also love to hear the roar of 50,000 bears going nuts.

I decline to vote :pipe:

Depends on the occasion.

I love the card displays, they bring a touch of class to our Euro Nights that few can replicate. (especially the soap dodgers)

I also love to hear the roar of 50,000 bears going nuts.

I decline to vote :pipe:

I'm not against the displays, as I said, they are an awesome site. But to be fair, any club can hold up cards and make it look good. Not every team can generate an awesome noise. But we have in the past and can in the future. There aren't many teams with fans as passionate as us, but I don't believe we're utilising that passion to the best that we could.

My gripe is purely that we spend less time on displays and more time on the noise. I want visiting teams and visiting supporters to be awe-struck again. I want visiting players to want to play for the club with the "unbelieavable" support. I want pundits and the media to be commenting on the Rangers support and how it's the best and loudest and most passionate in the world..

Time for fresh incentive, lets make it noise, the fundamental thing that makes a support a GREAT support!

Surley in a age were we invent new things every day.

Us humans can surley hold up a card and sing at the same time.... no ?

Then why are we not introducing something for all fans to sing at exactly the same time? Put instructions on the card. Make it clear that all fans should sing at the same time. You do this a couple of time and before you know it, it works... Ibrox is kicking again.....

Then why are we not introducing something for all fans to sing at exactly the same time? Put instructions on the card. Make it clear that all fans should sing at the same time. You do this a couple of time and before you know it, it works... Ibrox is kicking again.....

Can anyone remember ... i think it was the porto game... when the cards had arrows saying " hold this way up "

:lol: why the fuck did it matter - it was just one colour on the other side :lol:

Its harder to clap your hands when holding a card.

:rolleyes:

and scratch yer baws.. :craphead:

:pipehorse:

Why not do both?

Simple fact is ..the atmosphere at Ibrox has long gone, Old firm games and European nights will be the only time you will hear a bit of noise.

The dhims are the same, they cant even fill their stadium any more for an SPL game.

We have one of the worst atmospheres in professional football in Britain. But at the same time, we can also have the best when its a big game.

Unfortunately there is no answer when you see the apathy from the fans....

A huge amount of fans simply don't care - they want to turn up late, sit down with a pie, shout at Charlie Adam for a misplaced pass, slag off the manager and leave after 75 mins with the game still in the balance.

Supporting the team vocally just doesn't come into it for many, many people. Saturday against Hearts was the perfect example - drawing 1-1 in a huge game and the stadium is half-empty when we score the winner. Sure, sometimes one needs something to actually cheer about and often the product is hardly first class but as I look round the stadium on match-days it's hard not to get sentimental about games of yore as you nearly fall asleep...

Decline to vote as I dont see the two as mutually exclusive - if we still had Hello Hello - we could easily do both.

What we NEED to do is decide on which anthem to sing and the timing of it - we had it sorted with HH but those days are gone - our energy needs to go in unifying behind a new anthem to sing - No matter how much you hate YNWA it IS an awesome sight and sound - and no matter its merits (stolen etc. ) it looks and sounds great - we MUST find our own equivelant - I dont see why we cant sing Follow Follow and raise our scarves 2 handed above our head as players come out - that would do it for me.

We also need to sort out the leave early brigade - when we went to Stutgart (Spelling) when they went 1 down their fans made a terrific , coordinated, SUPPORTIVE wall of noise - impressive - a section of our fans boo if we aint winning after 10 minutes - and leave early no matter what the score.

Last point: Turn the tannoy music off 10 minutes before the game and 'force' the fans to make the atmosphere.

The atmosphere was disappearing well before we lost Hullo Hullo mate...

FF is just as superb a song and while I'd rather we twirled our scarves to it, I refer you to my post above about why the majority simply won't be interested.

The atmosphere was disappearing well before we lost Hullo Hullo mate...

FF is just as superb a song and while I'd rather we twirled our scarves to it, I refer you to my post above about why the majority simply won't be interested.

I just modified my post and I dont actually care whether we twirl or hold aloft - as long as we do it. But as you say apathy rules for a section, which seems to intimidate the rest of us - but some of us must take a leadership postion and change it - I dont remember many who did NOT sing Hello Hello at start of big games, but to get a 'new' anthem to that level we must work at it.

Some fans have taken that leadership position. All the singing sections in every stand (bar the Govan) do a decent job yet 45000+ fans can't or won't join in.

We need to find out the reasons why that is the case as when we attend a Celtic game the stadium sings to a man. Even the European games seem to lack the same supporter spirit of times gone by (and I'm only 30 btw)....

I'd like to see the club survey all season ticket holders on many issues. They won't and this is where the apathy begins.

I'd like to see the club survey all season ticket holders on many issues. They won't and this is where the apathy begins.

Actually one 'attitude' that bothers me is when it when 'fans' blame the management for the ills befalling Rangers. I (for one) don't believe that the 'management' dont care (and I mean all backroom staff from SDM, Bain etc. I also hate when 'fans' say players dont try (BOLLOCKS) - they may be shit - but, like the rest of us, when playing they are trying their best - their best may NOT be good enough (S Whitaker) but they try. It is the same with blaming the management for the supporters 'apathy' as you call it. Or is it the seated stadium, or is it the tannoy, or is it because HH was banned. I dont care about excuses what we need to do is change it - and I (as a supporter) am doing my bit to change - I sit in the govan front (and Jesus its quiet at times) but I have started singing on my own - I have a shit voice (and it gets a laugh ever now and then) BUT now more and more are joining in - thats cause I realised the lack of atmoshere at Ibrox was as much my fault as others - so I decided to change my behavior - more WILL folow.

Mate - I don't blame the management for everything at the club.

However, to deny certain issues are not their fault is as problematic as the number of fans who blame them for everything. I agree, the fans need to be constructive, accurate and positive in their criticism which is why we have the various fans groups out there...

:)

Mate - I don't blame the management for everything at the club.

However, to deny certain issues are not their fault is as problematic as the number of fans who blame them for everything. I agree, the fans need to be constructive, accurate and positive in their criticism which is why we have the various fans groups out there...

:)

The problem is nobody, team or organisation is perfect - so the larger the 'team' the more 'opinions' there are - also MOST fans have a pretty common goal and more stay than leave and more sing than dont - but we COULD do with unifying a lot more.

<cr>

When you are bored it is difficult to raise your spirits for a sing song and unfortunately we are just not playing the type of football that can get you excited. The big European games and games against the mhanky mob generate enough pent up excitement to help but not for the run of the mill SPL games. At the same time our repertoire has been slashed and who wants to sing the same couple of songs over and over. We desperately need new uplifting material.