A better atmosphere

Ted E Bayer

Which is more significant?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion

• Card display
    • Wall of noise

When you are bored it is difficult to raise your spirits for a sing song and unfortunately we are just not playing the type of football that can get you excited. The big European games and games against the mhanky mob generate enough pent up excitement to help but not for the run of the mill SPL games. At the same time our repertoire has been slashed and who wants to sing the same couple of songs over and over. We desperately need new uplifting material.

As much as I understand your point it's exactly because of boredom during some games that I do sing. Honestly, if it weren't for sitting in TBO I'd be slitting my wrists at the huge numbers of people who will only sing at Celtic games.

I actually pray for crap officials in SPL games as that seems to be the only thing that awakes fans from their slumber.

We have loads of songs to sing as well. Follow Follow, Blue Sea of Ibrox, Wolverhampton Town, Every other Saturday, Who's that team, Walter Smith's Blue and White Army - all these are sung on match-day and are catchy great tunes! One of our members has also dedicated time and resources to create new songs some of which are very good. All to no avail...

That's as defeatist a post as you'll ever read from me but I'm honestly out of ideas when it comes to improving the atmosphere.

People just won't join in.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When our team is sitting back and letting the opposition dominate without any challenges the atmosphere is bound to be poor. The only time we can noise it up is when we are on the attack which in the past year has been a low percentage of the game. Even in the spl recently our possession stats home and away are below the opposition.

When you are bored it is difficult to raise your spirits for a sing song and unfortunately we are just not playing the type of football that can get you excited. The big European games and games against the mhanky mob generate enough pent up excitement to help but not for the run of the mill SPL games. At the same time our repertoire has been slashed and who wants to sing the same couple of songs over and over. We desperately need new uplifting material.

As much as I understand your point it's exactly because of boredom during some games that I do sing. Honestly, if it weren't for sitting in TBO I'd be slitting my wrists at the huge numbers of people who will only sing at Celtic games.

I actually pray for crap officials in SPL games as that seems to be the only thing that awakes fans from their slumber.

We have loads of songs to sing as well. Follow Follow, Blue Sea of Ibrox, Wolverhampton Town, Every other Saturday, Who's that team, Walter Smith's Blue and White Army - all these are sung on match-day and are catchy great tunes! One of our members has also dedicated time and resources to create new songs some of which are very good. All to no avail...

That's as defeatist a post as you'll ever read from me but I'm honestly out of ideas when it comes to improving the atmosphere.

Frankie, I only manage across for 5-6 games a year and always sit in the Copeland Rear with friends that I know you are acquainted. It may be that because I am not there week in week out that it's more noticeable for me, the decline in atmosphere from year to year. I think it goes without saying that winning helps lift the spirits and being entertained also helps. Now for the controversial part. The new politically correct Rangers fans tend to see all our games except Celtic and perhaps Europe as simply games. Gone is the animosity, the no-one likes us we don't care attitude that had all Rangers fans sticking together no matter who we played and we would let everyone know it. For many people now it is simply a game.

Would instructions on cards not help? Such as the instructions to hold aloft the card on European matches? Surely adding the instruction to sing a song at a certain time while holding aloft your scarf should be trialed? Even have a count down on big screen or scoreboard as when to start....can't go wrong surely?

Imo it would work..

When our team is sitting back and letting the opposition dominate without any challenges the atmosphere is bound to be poor. The only time we can noise it up is when we are on the attack which in the past year has been a low percentage of the game. Even in the spl recently our possession stats home and away are below the opposition.

It's fair point but how many times have you seen the team start to play as a result of being boosted by our home crowd? I remember recently (although forget which game) we were a goal down, team was playing shite. I and a few of my cronies started singing, the rest of the stand started singing, we were heard, the players heard us and reacted, before we knew it we started dominating the game, a game which we then went onto win.

It can focking work man!!

Getting songs going during a match has to be a must. I watch Man Utd a lot and the songs they sing is no about there history etc... but about thier players.

He plays on the left

he plays on the right

that boy Ronaldo

makes England look shite

and that is sung by over 60k+ England suporters

I saw my mate the other day

said to me he'd seen the white Pele

so, I asked, who was he?

He goes by the name of Wayne Rooney.

Atomic - Monster

Who's that jumping over your head is it Nemaja....is it Nemajaaaaa

or

Nemaja woaho, Namaja woaho

he comes from serbia, he'll fucking murder ya

nemaja woahao, Nemaja wohao

Surley there is some creative types that can come up with a few songs about our players?

I tried to, but i'm a bit shit.

the atmosphere at ibrox is terrible, only the odd old firm and european night do we truly come alive, card displays are crap honestly it looks all nice for a minute or so, but we shouldnt be impressing the other teams with a bit of cardboard we should be putting the fear of god into them with our noise- i was at highbury for a arsenal liverpool game a few years ago and we were standing for the 90 and it was spine tingling the noise generated, and u laughed soo much the chants they come up with are amazin, we need to get our act together at ibrox i dont have the answers but a flute band would be GREAT and we should call the stands by their old names like the bovril (govan) the derry (copland) get a bit of tradition put back in, when i listen to my dad and his stories about ibrox in his day it puts us to shame!

• 11 months later...

Too Many old men and woman? Lack of working class people as before? PC Brigade makes some of the fans ashamed of their own club? Men too scared of being embarassed by singing (as they would see it) like a f()d.

It really is beyond a joke, I tried to sing a couple at the last aberdeen game in the enclosure, just makes you look stupid when your met with about 20 tumbleweeds.

I think the biggest culprit is all saeter stadiums. In the old days those who wanted to sing/jump about/wave flags etc. would congregate. I'd like to see the club start an 'Ultras' section. Saying that, I'm not sure how practical that is.

I think the biggest culprit is all saeter stadiums. In the old days those who wanted to sing/jump about/wave flags etc. would congregate. I'd like to see the club start an 'Ultras' section. Saying that, I'm not sure how practical that is.

That could only be introduced if they filled the corners and set aside one of them for those who want to contribute but even then it would raise issues.

Groups like the CDL and the EE are fiercly proud of their work (and they should be) but also their location.

Remember Prso saying the best atmosphere he played in during CL was at Ibrox. He said he came out to the sound of Simply the Best and all the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. We may be limited to what we sing a lot more now than previously but still no reason to not give a massive roar that cant be rivaled.

The biggest culprit is those who conform to SDM and the mhedias way.

Too many fans scared shit**ss to sing anything or say anything in fear of losing their precious season ticket.

And the fear of idle threats.

the atmosphere at ibrox is terrible, only the odd old firm and european night do we truly come alive, card displays are crap honestly it looks all nice for a minute or so, but we shouldnt be impressing the other teams with a bit of cardboard we should be putting the fear of god into them with our noise- i was at highbury for a arsenal liverpool game a few years ago and we were standing for the 90 and it was spine tingling the noise generated, and u laughed soo much the chants they come up with are amazin, we need to get our act together at ibrox i dont have the answers but a flute band would be GREAT and we should call the stands by their old names like the bovril (govan) the derry (copland) get a bit of tradition put back in, when i listen to my dad and his stories about ibrox in his day it puts us to shame!

good post and would be great to go back to the old ways. the sad part is some people with plenty of money just see supporting rangers as a hobby.