Novo On Spain Radar!

Craigy

NACHO NOVO celebrated a new two-year deal with Rangers - with the news that he is on Spain's radar for Euro 2008.

Spanish team boss Luis Aragones named the little striker when discussing players who could force their way into his thinking between now and next summer's extravaganza in Austria and Switzerland.

That will give the Ibrox striker, already on a high after signing his new deal, a huge lift as he battles back from a dislocated shoulder.

Aragones said: "We shall be keeping an eye on several players who are playing abroad like, for example, Nacho Novo.

"They could be possible prospects for Euro 2008 and I want to know exactly what is going on everywhere so I can make the best choice."

Those words will thrill the little Spaniard who yesterday promised to repay Rangers boss Walter Smith for saving his career.

Novo feared he would have to leave Ibrox until a chat with the Rangers chief last week convinced him he was still part of the club's plans.

The striker had been offered a one-year extension to his contract but wanted it doubled and Smith stepped in to make sure it happened.

He said: "I'm very happy to stay with Rangers. I want to finish my career here.

"Now I have to try to repay all the people who have helped me. Walter has saved me. Since he came here everybody is happy. I respect him.

"I like him as a manager and a person. I am going to fight for him and will be behind him 110 per cent.

"I didn't want to leave. I have been getting on well with the people at the club - the gaffer and the boys have been really good to me.

"In the last four years the fans have been behind me 110 per cent in the good times and the bad. That means a lot to me so now I need to try and repay them."

Novo insisted he didn't want a two-year deal for security - but admitted he hates spending Christmas worrying about his future and now won't have to do that this time next year.

He said: "It wasn't about security, it was about my mentality. I didn't want to go through the same thing again this time next year and now that won't happen.

"But I will know when I can't play for this club any more and I will stop. I will be honest. Until then I will try to do my best."

Smith is delighted to have secured the attacker for another two years.

He said: "Nacho does well for us either as a starting player or as a substitute. He has had a terrific input.

"He is the type of player who has the commitment and desire to stay and play for the club and I am delighted he is staying on.

"He wants to stay, he is popular with everybody but the most important thing is that he contributes to the team."

Novo won't be available for tomorrow's clash at Pittodrie but he has pencilled in the Old Firm derby at Parkhead on January 2 for a comeback from his shoulder injury.

He said: "My target is Celtic and I will work hard to make it. I would love to be ready for that game.

"It's more than a football game and that makes it the best derby in the world. I love to play every game but the Old Firm game is extra special."

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20262808/

Guest Andypendek

with the best will in the world, unless the plague strikes the current strikers spain can call upon, novo will never pull on a red shirt.

with the best will in the world, unless the plague strikes the current strikers spain can call upon, novo will never pull on a red shirt.

But it hardly helps their cause to call on the Torres, Villas, and Rauls of this world when at the end of the day their national side just never achieves squat.

I remember suggesting Novo for the Spanish side about 2 or 3 seasons ago - and I was laughed at. Yup, he's like a zillion miles off the desired quality, but hey, crazier things have happened.

Guest Andypendek

yep, 2nd only to our southern cousins in terms of underachievement. nevertheless, i can't see the introduction of a wholehearted but strictly limited player as being the solution! it is no coincidence that nacho has found success by moving to scotland, if he wants international honours he'd be better taking UK citizenship, or better still, become a scottish national in a few years when we break free from the yoke of bondage.

yep, 2nd only to our southern cousins in terms of underachievement.

Disagree. England don't underachieve, they've just NEVER been very good in the first place.

They have maybe 2 world class players in Gerrard and mibbe Rooney, and that is it.

What Capello aims to do is get them punching well above their weight.

If anything they have over achieved

I know their press and support think they are world beaters but that simply isn't the case

Spain on the otherhand never fail to disapoint

Guest Andypendek

with the level of participation, and the amount of money available to english football, they should have had much more success than 66. especially around the late 70s early 80s period when english clubs ruled europe, the 82 WC should have been englands. however, they failed to appoint the man who would have won them it.

regard the upcoming Euros. is there a truly outstanding team? if england had found a boss with the guts to say to gerrard and lampard 'it's one or the other lads' they'd certainly be at the finals and with a great chance to win it. here's a team:

james

neville

cole

terry

ferdinand

gerrard

hargreaves

joe cole

wright-phillips

rooney

owen

injuries permitting, that side should i reckon win.

they are not exactly saying hes the answer to their problems and they are going to through him into the spain first xi, they will just monitor his situation and he could get into the squad for the euros(which is still a big ask i know), more likely he might even get called up for a friendly which is still an international cap for him and I hope he gets it.

I think he deserves a shot, so technically he isn't as good as Villa etc. but Spain haven't been winning any major tournaments recently and maybe they need something different - Nacho might never become 1st choice at a major tourny but that isn't to say he can't get a half or 20 minutes in a few games - I think he deserves it, both in terms of determination and abilty...

If anything they have over achieved

I know their press and support think they are world beaters but that simply isn't the case

Spain on the otherhand never fail to disapoint

Spain, like England, are serial failures. I've lost count of the number of tournaments where they have been highly fancied and ended up being pants. Andypendek is dead right as the similarities between the two nations is spooky. Both have great domestic leagues, arguably the two best in the world at the moment and their domestic sides have had great European success. This has counted for nothing at international level. Both have won one competition, both doing so at home. Spain in 1964, England in 1966. Since then they have each failed in another home competition and while both have generally been strong qualifiers, (Spain possibly slightly ahead there), they have underachieved in just about every tournement since their sixties victories.

I still don't think he's got the ability unfortunatly to keep guys like David Villa out (td)

Ability ? what are you talking about JA? :unsure: ,how many of your superstars can run there arse off for 90 odd minutes,and still manage to come up with the big goal,in the big game?not too F#cken many I can tell you.Let's just be thankful that Nacho chose us over them.I figure there are only maybe five true Ranger legends since my first game (1957) and I'm betting That Nacho will be added to my list before too long.Great wee player,you should watch his total contribution(Abilty personified) to the game sometime JA. (tu)

I still don't think he's got the ability unfortunatly to keep guys like David Villa out (td)

Ability ? what are you talking about JA? :unsure: ,how many of your superstars can run there arse off for 90 odd minutes,and still manage to come up with the big goal,in the big game?not too F#cken many I can tell you.Let's just be thankful that Nacho chose us over them.I figure there are only maybe five true Ranger legends since my first game (1957) and I'm betting That Nacho will be added to my list before too long.Great wee player,you should watch his total contribution(Abilty personified) to the game sometime JA. (tu)

Are we thinking of the same Player NACHO NOVO a rangers legend, he cant even get a regular game <cr>:unsure:

Nowhere near being a legend or even thought about to be in the hall of fame

IMO he's lucky to be at the club

Are we thinking of the same Player NACHO NOVO a rangers legend, he cant even get a regular game <cr>:unsure:

Nowhere near being a legend or even thought about to be in the hall of fame

IMO he's lucky to be at the club

Absolutely for this Bear, (tu)