Whittaker - doesn't fill you with confidence in place of Hutton!

Boab

Its obvious that Whittaker will be the next in line for the right-back position whether Hutton is injured, suspended or not at Rangers.

But that wasn't great or not from SW?

Or would do we expect of our right-back both defensively and attackingly?

On yesterdays showing,I'd say he looks a better left back than right back. <cr> (he seems to link up well with Thomson and Naismith)

Its obvious that Whittaker will be the next in line for the right-back position whether Hutton is injured, suspended or not at Rangers.

But that wasn't great or not from SW?

Or would do we expect of our right-back both defensively and attackingly?

On yesterdays showing,I'd say he looks a better left back than right back. <cr> (he seems to link up well with Thomson and Naismith)

That was surprising as he played RB for hibs. He seems like a deer caught in headlights at times.

Will give him time but he does not impress me anywhere on the right to date. Looks much better on the left. Perhaps he concentrates more there.

Give the guy a chance, he was slated when he played midfield....but when played LB when Sasa was sick he looked good.

Now he's moved again to cover for Hutton....... give him a break (we all missed Thomo last nght but thought he was pish when he first played...................)

your not very positive are you Boab? :craphead:

3 threads post-match :

"Well that was pish"

"poor defensively tonight"

"Whittaker- doesnt fill you with confidence in place of Hutton!"

We got 3 points..no it wasnt the most spectacular performance you will every see but we got the job done. We have been playing well recently, but with all the call off's etc as of late and the fact we were missing 2 of our most important players v a Gretna side fighting for their lives to stay up and who raised their game significantly, i think 3pts here is all that matters. Winning ugly is part of what a Championship winning side is made of (tu)

what he said

Sorry!

The whole defence against Gretna didn't fill me with confidence, so you can't really single him out when you look at how good our defence had been in the past, and also because Whittaker had been playing pretty well at left-back.

You also have to consider, that before WS and Coisty came back, and the addition of Weir, Hutton didn't exactly fill us with confidence and a lot of fans were getting on his back.

I'm not sure if there is a cure for short term memory loss.

i thought he dun ok but he was no worse than cueller, weir, hemdani, y u no saying anything about them? none of them played in green and white so that prob the reason

Aye right

The whole defence against Gretna didn't fill me with confidence, so you can't really single him out when you look at how good our defence had been in the past, and also because Whittaker had been playing pretty well at left-back.

You also have to consider, that before WS and Coisty came back, and the addition of Weir, Hutton didn't exactly fill us with confidence and a lot of fans were getting on his back.

I see your point but the thread was more because surely SW would have seen the game as a game where he could have impressed in his natural or more accustomed position.

Think he'd only played right-back at Rugby Park if not at all for us

I thought he did ok, however with the expectations off such a high quality right back now expected every game Alan Hutton has set the standard there, now its going to be very tough to beat! However i think Whittaker is an awesome left back as Papac does not look the part

I see your point but the thread was more because surely SW would have seen the game as a game where he could have impressed in his natural or more accustomed position.

Think he'd only played right-back at Rugby Park if not at all for us

He was as good as the more experienced players round about him :D

however with the expectations off such a high quality right back now expected every game Alan Hutton has set the standard there, now its going to be very tough to beat!

I agree, hinted at this at my opening post, mate and I think this will be an issue for future right-backs now (tu)

however with the expectations off such a high quality right back now expected every game Alan Hutton has set the standard there, now its going to be very tough to beat!

I agree, hinted at this at my opening post, mate and I think this will be an issue for future right-backs now (tu)

Its been exactly the same since Arthur Numan left, the standard of players we have had in that position since he has left it no where near, however i think Smith has potential to be a quality left back

Its been exactly the same since Arthur Numan left, the standard of players we have had in that position since he has left it no where near, however i think Smith has potential to be a quality left back

Definitely, hope he comes back as strong and as good as Hutton, even though I have a sneaky feeling Smith won't be as tough in the tackle, and won't get booked as much.

think whittaker is better in defence, just keep him out of midfield like earlier this season he was terrible.couldn't believe the amount of games he got before smith dropped him.and when the word bad is mentioned that's for the likes of emerson, cappuccio ,ostenstad and faye.

Give the boy a bit of time, for once...

i agree davy. as long as huttons at ibrox hees gonna be second choice for that position but i remember we were saying this about hutton not too long ago and look at him now (tu):rangers: :beer2:

i agree davy. as long as huttons at ibrox hees gonna be second choice for that position but i remember we were saying this about hutton not too long ago and look at him now (tu):rangers: :beer2:

Hutton, Hemdani, Thomson... the list is endless mate!

'doesn't fill you with confidence in place of Hutton'

Hes only played one game at right back! One game!!

I think the point that a lot of us are trying to say is that he was not very good at right back at Hibs. I was certainly shocked that we paid £2 million for a player who I thought was a weak link in their defence and his performances for us at left and now right back really worries me.

I do not think that moving clubs and settling in is the problem, I think it is just down to lack of ability to show the type of performance needed at a club at the top end of the league.

I think the point that a lot of us are trying to say is that he was not very good at right back at Hibs. I was certainly shocked that we paid £2 million for a player who I thought was a weak link in their defence and his performances for us at left and now right back really worries me.

I do not think that moving clubs and settling in is the problem, I think it is just down to lack of ability to show the type of performance needed at a club at the top end of the league.

Thats fair enough mate.

But whether we rate him or not, I think we should get behind him. Whittaker was poor, but I didn't think he was any worse than Weir or Cuellar, yet Whittaker gets it in the neck.

Walter Smith must rate him, and thats good enough for me.

Thats fair enough mate.

But whether we rate him or not, I think we should get behind him. Whittaker was poor, but I didn't think he was any worse than Weir or Cuellar, yet Whittaker gets it in the neck.

Walter rates Lee McCulloch, Amdy Faye and doesn't rate Buffel so I'll continue to question him! :harhar:

Thats fair enough mate.

Walter rates Lee McCulloch, Amdy Faye and doesn't rate Buffel so I'll continue to question him! :harhar:

How many medals you won but? :)

Thats fair enough mate.

How many medals you won but? :)

Don't care, well actually the highest 2nd award at the BB, as the voters don't need to pass intelligence exams before the election mate!

Hutton, Hemdani, Thomson... the list is endless mate!

'doesn't fill you with confidence in place of Hutton'

Hes only played one game at right back! One game!!

Agree with the above. The defence was woeful, although both full backs later improved. If Whittaker was bad then Weir was even worse and don't get me start on Charlie Adam or Cousin's lack of interest (yes, it was a good goal). It seems to be forgotten that Whittaker has actually played some good games at left back, not exactly his natural position, and I'm prepared to give him a bit of time.