Burley … the uncontentious choice?

Thermopylae

Interesting of the 5 names in the hat Burley is the only one without an Old Firm connection. Perhaps Smudger sees this as important, not least of all because of the big sectarian stooshy that erupted not long after he took office. To be honest I really can't see any other reason to appoint Burley, I mean he hardly has the charisma to lead a nation

Interesting of the 5 names in the hat Burley is the only one without an Old Firm connection. Perhaps Smudger sees this as important, not least of all because of the big sectarian stooshy that erupted not long after he took office. To be honest I really can't see any other reason to appoint Burley, I mean he hardly has the charisma to lead a nation

I think that Burley is a fantastic choice by the SFA IMHO and I'll be delighted if this indeed does happen soon. However on the issue of him being non-old firm, I think this is just a bonus and I say this not because I'm naive but because of his record. Arguably unfortunately your over-looking that, them.

Burley done a quite brilliant job at Ipswich - achieving an appearance in the UEFA Cup by finishing in fifth place and outshining many a debut season for a promoted team and also Wigan and Birmingham's first seasons in the premiership for my money - and had that team playing lovely football, I remember growing up and watching the Premiership in that era. More recently, ignoring Hearts if I may where I dare say it didn't get on the Jambos goat that he didn't have said charisma but brought unseen success in Edinburgh, he transformed Derby from being relegation contenders to a defeat in the semi-finals and also in his most recent job got Southampton last season he only lost out in the play-offs semi-final to the eventual winners last season.

We may have consolidated and got super results in the previous campaign with Walter and Eck but I see Burley as the man who could really get us playing attractive football. Attractive football being played from our National side is important to me because youngsters all over the country will watch Scotland looking for a hero and how to play and for us get to good youngsters, I think this is part of the package in producing good youngsters for future generations along with fun and effective coaching and excellent facilities.

Don't care tbh, don't see Burley as anything special, would of preferred Souness, just glad it aint Burns or a tim.

The upside of Souness is that as a former captain of Scotland who has lifted the European Cup he would be afforded instant respect from the players, the big downside of course is that he would be very divisive and I think Gordon Smith knew that

Im comfortable with the choice. He has a good sound squad of players, I just hope he doesnt chop and change too much.

Hey Coop, hop your well mate

I kinda disagree, I want to see some chopping and changing, I want to see some guys like Hartley, Fletcher, Teale, Alexander, Gary Naysmith etc all out, and, some of the other younger players given a shot, like, Naismith, Thomson, McEvely, etc brought in. For me, a lot of th Scotland squad is old, reliable and dull, and, in all fairness, not that reliable! I like what Burley has done with his teams, and, would like a few younger players stepping up, and, some genuine pace in the side, but, pace with purpose