Kevin Thomson - Badly Missed

BlueIsTheColour

If it wasn't already obvious in the past couple of games, today simply showed what Kevin Thomson has given our side this season. Work-rate, perseverence and bite are all attributes which Thomson has built his career around and it is those qualities that have been missing from the team since his injury.

Take today's game for example. Too many times were St Mirren allowed the freedom in the midfield to knock the ball around with little or no resistance. Too many time did the play slow down to almost a canter. And too many times did Barry Ferguson drop back behind the play to recieve the ball. None of these scenarios would have come to fruition had Kevin Thomson been on the park.

The St Mirren players would have been constantly hassled on the ball, the tempo of the match would have been much quicker and Ferguson would have been able to push forward as in previous games this season. It may seem unikely to an outsider looking in that one player can make such a difference in a game but to those of us who watch every week it is very clear just how pivotal Thomson is to our success this season.

And with some very tricky games on the horizon all that can be said is haste ye back Kevin Thomson.

Good post mate and I agree with every word of it (tu)

As they say you don't know what you've got till it's gone and now Thomson is gone most people are seeing how vital he is to our team.

IMO we desperately need to invest in a player, even if he lacks a bit of quality, who plays in a similar style to Kevin Thomson as we really are missing a terrier type player in the centre of the pitch.

Hemdani can cover.

But were a different team with thomson, its strange though..arguably hemdani is one of the best midfielders playing in scotland yet he cant get a game for us.

Hemdani and Thomson are completely different. Neither can do the other ones job. Hemdani is perfectly fine when you need to retain possession and calm the play down. But he doesn't offer the same work-rate and ability to win the ball back that Thomson does. And because of the nature of the SPL it is Thomson's qualities which are the more valuable in domestic games.

Hemdani can cover.

Hemdani can't cover in the same way as Thomson can as they are totally different players.

Hemdani is a classy intelligent player who often plays at a slow pace as he is always thinking in anticipation of where the ball is going to go next so he can move and then intercept it.

On the other hand Thomson is more smash mouth. He puts players under pressure by hassling and wins the ball back before our oppositions players have time to get the ball, control it and look for a pass.

As BITC has already said Thomson's attitude and style of play ups the whole tempo of the game, wheras Hemdani's style slows the game right down hence the boring monotone football that we witnessed today.

For fuck sake..... 7 points clear , Hemdani is our most talented footbaler, yet we still moan? we as punters are rippin the pish ! Long Live the rangers.

Who is moaning? I am simply pointing out the obvious. Did you see the past couple of games? If so then you would have to be blind to realise that we do miss Thomson.

Hemdani is the more technically gifted of the two but, as i have previously stated, Thomson's qualities are much more required in the SPL than Hemdani's.

There is a difference between moaning and constructive criticism but that is obviously lost on you.

Thomson is Missed but were missing something in Midfield that will give us an attacking option!, i hate to say it but we need something like Scott Brown who drives from midfield

Scott Brown hasn't done much in the way of driving forward this season has he?

He still Drives Forward to support the strike force, Our Midfield is flat nobody bursts forward we need a attacking midfielder somebody to link Midfield with the strikeforce but we need that Striker that can hold it up, boyd aint the answer!

Before anybody says it Barry Ferguson aint a Attacking Midfielder!!! <_<

For fuck sake..... 7 points clear , Hemdani is our most talented footbaler, yet we still moan? we as punters are rippin the pish ! Long Live the rangers.

Who is moaning? I am simply pointing out the obvious. Did you see the past couple of games? If so then you would have to be blind to realise that we do miss Thomson.

Hemdani is the more technically gifted of the two but, as i have previously stated, Thomson's qualities are much more required in the SPL than Hemdani's.

There is a difference between moaning and constructive criticism but that is obviously lost on you.

No need to use that kind of language we me..... Thompson is a quality footballer, but look at the technical side of football....Hemdani wreaks of technical football ability..... he may not be yer Roy keane of tackling footballers, but he is a tremendous passer of the ball and the link that we have ben missing !

Do you prefer the other option????????? I think not ............

Yes we miss Thomson and we miss a quality creative midfielder. Having Adam in the midfield does not help at all. There is no creativity, quality or urgency in there.

Without Thomson we miss the dig and bite he brings. He work-rate allows Ferguson to concentrate on his game.

we really do miss thomson, hope we sign another midfielder before the end of the window, a quality one though, not another charlie adam. Been a big critic of thomson but he had been playing really well before christmas and i dont think i realised how much he brought to the team untill he wasnt playing. Hope hes back asap.

No need to use that kind of language we me..... Thompson is a quality footballer, but look at the technical side of football....Hemdani wreaks of technical football ability..... he may not be yer Roy keane of tackling footballers, but he is a tremendous passer of the ball and the link that we have ben missing !

Yes, i do prefer the other option, presuming you are reffering to Thomson. The way that Hemdani plays is perfect for European football but in the hustle and bustle of the SPL i would have Thomson every time.

Fair enough, it is all about oppinions but i think if you look at the matches this season where Thomson has played instead of Hemdani and compare them to the last couple of games i think you will see where i am coming from.

Thomson is Missed but were missing something in Midfield that will give us an attacking option!, i hate to say it but we need something like Scott Brown who drives from midfield

Scott Brown hasn't done much in the way of driving forward this season has he?

Thats cause he's playing for the wrong team and strachan is sticking him out wide

Yes, i do prefer the other option, presuming you are reffering to Thomson. The way that Hemdani plays is perfect for European football but in the hustle and bustle of the SPL i would have Thomson every time.

Fair enough, it is all about oppinions but i think if you look at the matches this season where Thomson has played instead of Hemdani and compare them to the last couple of games i think you will see where i am coming from.

Fair play to you...I am not trying to compare Thompson to Hemdani....I think that both footballers are fantastic.

You miss my point, maybe I have not made myself clear ( I'm half...no ....well pished), but maybe that Hemdani and Thompson are the answer and finally go 2 up front??? Fergy, as much as I love the guy and his passion for the club, needs a boot up the shunty???

NO.....than again....watty doesn't have the option....unless Ally was to come back LOL

If it wasn't already obvious in the past couple of games, today simply showed what Kevin Thomson has given our side this season. Work-rate, perseverence and bite are all attributes which Thomson has built his career around and it is those qualities that have been missing from the team since his injury.

Take today's game for example. Too many times were St Mirren allowed the freedom in the midfield to knock the ball around with little or no resistance. Too many time did the play slow down to almost a canter. And too many times did Barry Ferguson drop back behind the play to recieve the ball. None of these scenarios would have come to fruition had Kevin Thomson been on the park.

The St Mirren players would have been constantly hassled on the ball, the tempo of the match would have been much quicker and Ferguson would have been able to push forward as in previous games this season. It may seem unikely to an outsider looking in that one player can make such a difference in a game but to those of us who watch every week it is very clear just how pivotal Thomson is to our success this season.

And with some very tricky games on the horizon all that can be said is haste ye back Kevin Thomson.

Totally agree with you, sometimes you don't appreciate what a player brings to the team until he's gone. Thompson is a very good player and I am pleased to see that Whitaker is now making fans take notice and see that is also a very good player.

Yeah he's come on to a series of good games recently, I honestly thought we'd bought a poor mans Scott Brown but in my opinion we seem to have got the best deal, possible link to a new thread?

As I ahve said since day one there was a reason that Thomson was Hibs captain and Brown wasn't.