Alex McLeish

LucyBlue

I've just watched a few refreshing videos of McLeish's time at our club.

Just one for your pleasure that you've all seen but watch the man, the true despair and the true delight.

His time was full of good and bad.

One thing that cannot be denied was his passion.

I've seen what Gers results meant to him and it went beyond a simple managerial victory

He gave us Helicopter Sunday that will live forever.

He was also a Gers fan since birth.

Will history be kind to him with regards to Rangers fans?

Did he perhaps get a raw deal in the end?

I tend to think he maybe did do with the severe tightening of the purse strings.

Will hindsight see him as a hero or a villain in Rangers history?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wee video could make capucho look good!

McLeish will be both in peoples eyes, in mine, he wasn't anything special, and at times awful. And his personality makes me dislike him more.

Cheers for the trophys - enjoy the championship (tu)

From a sympathetic point of view, he was playing with his hands tied behind his back and so done well to win the couple of league titles that he did. He took the fall for the clubs debt, by having to sign and field players who were not good enough. The blame has to be pointed above McLeish for that.

From a cynical point of view, his signings were poor and I thought his tactics were too. He should have walked after Helicopter Sunday, in my opinion.

I think as time passes, the 'good' tends to stand out from the 'bad'. A bit like when old people go on about the good old days when a loaf of bread was only.......yada yada yada ;)

But if you really think back to the Eck years, when we were right in amongst it........there was just so much that was wrong. His signings and his tactics were rotten far too often.

In his first full season, he had a lot of Advocaat's side still there and Celtic were on their run to Seville. Those factors were in his favour, and we edged it. Fair play to him.

But after that, he really failed to put together an effective side in his own image. His signings were poor, he seemed to lack vision in terms of the type of side he wanted to put together. His tactics at times still confuse me to this day.

Celtic pumped us twice in the league under his 'guidance' and it was embarrassing and dark times really to be a Rangers fan, particularly when you finish 3rd in one of those years, which was unforgivable.

Helicopter Sunday is an oustanding memory, but it wasn't Eck that gave us that in reality.......it was just the way circumstances fell. O'Neill's team was ageing and falling apart at the seams.......in reality it was two very poor teams chasing the title that year, and we came up trumps in the end. But that day merely papered over the cracks, we could see what was coming, and that unfortunately was us going into free fall the next year, and like I say, finishing 3rd behind Hearts.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was a bad manager, but he was very average and very lucky during his spell at Ibrox.

Honest to God don't know what to say, he gave me some of the best and worst moments ever as a rangers fan.

Considering he had to fight the scum with one arm behind his back then I supose i look back on him fondly

Regarding his time at Ibrox, he did very, very well with the limited resources to win so many trophies, but will be forever associated by managing a very unstable time at Ibrox and some utterly astonishing tactical decisions.

He did well considering the circumstances. Never a villain though for us.

The only negative I can really say about the man was his abandonment of the Scottish post for a 'cushy' EPL job. That permanently left a bitter aftertaste.

I really hope he keeps Birmingham in the Premiership. A win on Monday against Newcastle is so important.

I lost so much respect for him when he went there.

They can go down for all I care.

Hero, no question.

Against Celtics best side since the Jock Stein era he prevented Martin O'Niel from winning five in a row with his hands tied behind his back. He gave us THE MOST MEMORABLE title in our history ( remember how you felt that day) with HELICOPTER SUNDAY. 5 trophies in three years........ A RANGERS HERO.

The big picture is he won seven trophies for us while spending negative £14 million or so on transfer fees overall and slashing the wage bill. His predecessor's net spending on transfers was approaching £50 million.

I really hope he keeps Birmingham in the Premiership. A win on Monday against Newcastle is so important.

Why?

Do you feel the same way about Wattie?

Why?

Walter reluctantly quit Scotland for the ONLY job he would EVER have left Scotland for - and he took the biggest gamble of his life in doing so by risking his own reputation to bring the only club he loves out of the mire.

Alex McLeish started negotiating a new contract with the national team, shrugged his shoulders after a month and abandoned it for a crap (well paid) job at a crap English side who will never achieve anything - even the Intertoto Cup is well beyond them.

The two cases are a *tad* different.

One has so much integrity, the other couldn't have less if it tried.

I have always admired Eck as a man and stood up for him at all times. His last season, especially late on was a hard time for players and fans and the right desicion was made for him to go.

His record sheet though is impressive to look back on and under such tough circumstances he has to be seen as a hero, and always will be in my eyes. As said, he gave us trophies with a final to remember and a league tilte that will never be beaten. He also guided the first Scottish side to the last 16 of the CL.

As the saying goes,

"Thanks for the memories Alec"

:rangers:

Why?

Walter reluctantly quit Scotland for the ONLY job he would EVER have left Scotland for - and he took the biggest gamble of his life in doing so by risking his own reputation to bring the only club he loves out of the mire.

Alex McLeish started negotiating a new contract with the national team, shrugged his shoulders after a month and abandoned it for a crap (well paid) job at a crap English side who will never achieve anything - even the Intertoto Cup is well beyond them.

So it's the job that bothers you?

It took courage for McLiesh to leave the comfort of the Scotland job and take over at a struggling EPL club.

I wish him all the best

It took courage for McLiesh to leave the comfort of the Scotland job and take over at a struggling EPL club.

No, courage would have been Newcastle. Courage would have been Spurs. Not a basement side who will pay him handsomely and won't expect the world from him.

Comfort of the Scotland job? You mean that rather lowly paid but highly respected position where failure is chastised and success is revered?

Courage is STAYING in the Scotland job unless there is an exceptional circumstance.

I wish him all the best

I don't.

Why?

I don't think Eck wanted the Scotland job in the first place but his Country came calling and he took the position.

You generally find national positions going to managers who have been there and done that and are quite happy to take a job that takes a lot less in the way of effort and pressure.

Eck missed that day to day involvement and wanted it back and I can understand the reasonings in doing so. The choice of Birmingham probably wasn't his first pick either but it was the only real option at the time. Had he waited a month he could easily have been in the Newcastle job but it wasn't to be.

I hope he is successful and you'll be hard pushed to find any ex Ger that I don't wish well in there new positions. There are one or two exeptions to that rule, one Mr Miller, but generally i will always be supportive of them.

A chance to join a Premiership side and back into day to day football, that doesn't come around that often. Taking over Birmingham is a challenge. Gold and Sullivan demanded they stay in the Premiership.

No, courage would have been Newcastle. Courage would have been Spurs. Not a basement side who will pay him handsomely and won't expect the world from him.

Comfort of the Scotland job? You mean that rather lowly paid but highly respected position where failure is chastised and success is revered?

Courage is STAYING in the Scotland job unless there is an exceptional circumstance.

I wish him all the best

I don't.

I honestly fail to see what exactly Eck has done wrong here, he decided to manage a different team from one that you would have moved to even though they didn't make an approach.

Face it, anyone who does even remotely well with the national team will be tempted away by big money elsewhere.

Including Wattie, I have no doubt he was emotionally drawn to the rangers hot seat but the financial factor must have been an element.

Do you only rate the national job less highly than an emotional attachment to a club team or one with potential to do things?

For what it's worth, if Newcastle were interested he made the right decision, you get less than 5 minutes there to change things

I'm with Jim here. Eck wanted a crack at the Premiership and he got offered that. He may not have been offered it again.

I think you're being a bit harsh Danny.

I've just watched a few refreshing videos of McLeish's time at our club.

Just one for your pleasure that you've all seen but watch the man, the true despair and the true delight.

His time was full of good and bad.

One thing that cannot be denied was his passion.

I've seen what Gers results meant to him and it went beyond a simple managerial victory

He gave us Helicopter Sunday that will live forever.

He was also a Gers fan since birth.

Will history be kind to him with regards to Rangers fans?

Did he perhaps get a raw deal in the end?

I tend to think he maybe did do with the severe tightening of the purse strings.

Will hindsight see him as a hero or a villain in Rangers history?

Nacho Novo and Scott Mc Donald gave us helicopter Sunday. :craphead:

Eck was far to inexperienced to be Scotland manager, and too young in my opinion.

A national job, for me, is for someone who is done with day to day managing.

He has so much more to accomplish before giving it up.

I do agree that i dont think he wanted it, he definetly wanted to stay in club managment, but his country came first and the fact that he took the job is very admirable.

There is so little to do as a national manager in comparison with a club manager, your only really in action a couple of months a year.

As far as the Hero Villain thing goes, neither.

He done a good job, then that slowly collapsed, but he still won plenty of silverware.

Both Hero and Villain are too extreme, saying that he's certainly closer to the hero end of the spectrum