Greatest sports person

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define sport.

I don't think i could Danny, there would always be differing opinions.

Driving is a skill, and it F1 does require a high fitness level, but by the same token, you've got to be fit to be an astronaut & thats not regarded as sport, is it?

If a driver is allowed to use a jet engine & still be called a sportsman, i dont see much difference with the Ben Johnson scenario.

Its not something that i'd get worked up about, if you want to say i'm wrong, i'll not argue.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, because defining sport is impossible.

Hence why you can't say one thing is a sport and one thing isn't. Well, you can, but it would be 100% subjective.

If you're on about, as Coop says, physical exertion, then Golf is suddenly not a sport, especially if you drive in the wee buggies. Ditto Darts.

And if you're on about it as a team, then track and field isn't a sport either.

And if it's down to skill, well, would horse riding be a sport? Similar principle to driving.

Defining the difference between a game and a sport - what makes a game, what makes a sport?

It's an impossible question and one there's no answer to.

Don Bradman. Few if any sportspeople have been so far ahead of the rest in their field. Bradman averaged virtually 100 in Test matches (a bit like a footballer averaging a hat-trick every game). The next highest Test average (Pollock) is around 60.

Define sport.

Driving is a skill, and it F1 does require a high fitness level, but by the same token, you've got to be fit to be an astronaut & thats not regarded as sport, is it?

If a driver is allowed to use a jet engine & still be called a sportsman, i dont see much difference with the Ben Johnson scenario.

Its not something that i'd get worked up about, if you want to say i'm wrong, i'll not argue.

Hence why you can't say one thing is a sport and one thing isn't. Well, you can, but it would be 100% subjective.

If you're on about, as Coop says, physical exertion, then Golf is suddenly not a sport, especially if you drive in the wee buggies. Ditto Darts.

And if it's down to skill, well, would horse riding be a sport? Similar principle to driving.

Defining the difference between a game and a sport - what makes a game, what makes a sport?

Rules make it a game and competition makes it a sport.

Define sport.

You compete in games though. And you have rules in sport.

You can as easily say competition makes it a game and rules make it a sport.

Define sport.

You compete in games though. And you have rules in sport.

You can as easily say competition makes it a game and rules make it a sport.

All sports are games not all games are sport. Think this discussion is more about which games are sport and which are not.

All sports are games not all games are sport. Think this discussion is more about which games are sport and which are not.

you're trying to nail a jelly to the wall mate.....

you're trying to nail a jelly to the wall mate.....

Not at all mate, its not a grey area for me. Thats just me though :lol:

Roger Federer is a class act, a true sport role-model for youngsters.

Tiger Woods closely followed.

Saw someone put Maradona.. IMO he is the greatest footballer of all time, but greatest sports person?

Saw someone put Maradona.. IMO he is the greatest footballer of all time, but greatest sports person?

It was me. Put him on my list because of his footballing ability.

(tu) agree with his footballing ability

but he has hardly been an ambassador off the pitch and really let himself down

It was me. Put him on my list because of his footballing ability.

(tu) agree with his footballing ability

but he has hardly been an ambassador off the pitch and really let himself down

I know but I was basing it on talent.

Washington Capitals (NHL)Alex Ovechkin,has got to be right up there. (tu)

Didn't realize it was greatest of all-time,in that case it's got to be Tiger,or my own personal favorite Michael Jordan. (tu)

Don Bradman. Few if any sportspeople have been so far ahead of the rest in their field. Bradman averaged virtually 100 in Test matches (a bit like a footballer averaging a hat-trick every game). The next highest Test average (Pollock) is around 60.

very true, IB, I was racking my brain trying to think of someone like Michael Jordan who redefined what people thought was even possible in their sport. Bradman fits that mould for sure.

Carl Lewis sprinter 4 Olympic Golds at one sitting ? Same as Mark Spitz 9 Golds and 1 silver overall ? :sherlock:

Carl Lewis was an Known cheat(drugs) (td)

Never was sure about that, Ben Johnson yes, but he was the only one that really got caught. Remember Flo Jo she was winnin everythin and it wasn't till she croaked it early that it was discovered she was runnin on a full tank ! :sherlock: