Greatest sports person

All sports are games not all games are sport. Think this discussion is more about which games are sport and which are not.

So motorsport is a game?

Interesting.

Mind you, this discussion is actually about the greatest sportsman I think :pipe:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andypendek

gavin hastings - took advantage of his life to achieve

gary jacobs - proudly displayed his heritage, and achieved. technically far superior to the wretched tim who was his contemporary, cannae mind his name, baby jake matlala pumped him.

colin mcrae - raw talent, achieved world title and legenadary stauts

colin montgomerie - no major, but frankly his ryder record is an achievement of awesome proportions

zander ryan - dashing RB with johnstone burgh, went on to achieve success with arthurlie

All sports are games not all games are sport. Think this discussion is more about which games are sport and which are not.

So motorsport is a game?

Interesting.

Mind you, this discussion is actually about the greatest sportsman I think :pipe:

Motorsport is a great example of a game, big boys toys and whos can go faster. On a serious point its a game of tatics and great skill (not that i watch it). As soon as skill over rides luck and people are competing it can be argued its a sport. I meant the discussion between me and you. To answer the original post Tiger Woods is the greatest still active.

Talking of motorsport and Scots my nomination for the greatest Scottish sportsperson ever is Jim Clark, a supremely talented driver who won the Formula One championship and the Indianapolis 500 in the same year.

http://www.formula1.com/teams_and_drivers/hall_of_fame/125/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/for...icle3423186.ece

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Clark-Grand-Pr...d/dp/0297854402

Motorsport could be viewed as a game, but at the end of the day Formula 1 drivers, MotoGP riders, Rally drivers etc are all immensely fit individuals, and the level of skill and talent required to win in any of these categories is astronomical. My pal races motorbikes, and has only this year made the step up from 125cc bikes to 600cc's, and he said that when he first tested the 600, the air flow going into the first corner nearly ripped his head off!! Not saying that other sports don't require huge amounts of fitness, but looking past the flash cars and bikes with huge engines and the unbelievable power from these machines, it's the ability of the riders/drivers that earns them the big bucks, not their vehicles.

If you read his book he is totally innocent. People keep trying to put him down by saying he used drugs but after what seems like millions of tests over the years why has he not been found guilty?

he has been caught mate - they have samples of his from years ago that with improved technology are now testing positive

he beat the tests at the time but he is now shown up for what he is - a drugs cheat

stop taking the piss WVB.

Let people say their point of view.

If you wish to reply, do so decently.

:ohmy: Seriously Coops, i cant regard driving a car as "sport".

I'm a driver too & i change my own wheels & put my own fuel in. Thats what i'm getting at.

You have absolutely no idea what Formula One-drivers have to go through, right ? :)

Federer and Woods are both so dominating in their sports it's hard not to look past them. If you're going to go with racing it would have to be Rossi and Schumacher. Pele and Michael Jordan are also a couple of diminating sportsmen I really admire. As for pure endurance and physical endurance though I'd have to go with mountain climbing whether your consider that technically a sport or not. The amount of effort they put in the the torment they put their bodies through is unbelievable. I read a book called Savage Summit about the first 5 women to climb K2, arguably the worlds most dangerous mountain and the story of their climbs are amazing. I think only 2 of them survived the descent.

Federer and Woods are both so dominating in their sports it's hard not to look past them.

Federer is starting to slip up now been knocked of his last two tournaments before the Semi-Finals and lost in the Semi-Final of the first major of the year, the Australian Open.

As for Woods if your looking at raw talent he is the best, as he has tooken the game of golf and tooken it to hole new level, what he done in the year 2000 was quite remarkable, winning three majors, The U.S. Open by 15 STROKES, The Open by 8 Strokes (also set the record for lowest score to par -19) and also winning the PGA Championship. Also that year he won 9 PGA Tour Titles amd set or tied 27 Tour Records. Also the following year he completed the Grand Slam ( holding all the majors at the same time) by winning The Masters. He has since gone on to win 13 Majors and 65 PGA Tour wins. And he's only 31 which is still young for a golfer!

As for a rolemodel Tiger also shows children of today the right things. This guy is a Millionaire and yet hes up at the crack of dawn out jogging and keeping himself fit and healthy. He also eats all the right things to stay healthy aswell.

Yet the thing that gets most from achieving to there best of their abilties is practising all the time. This guy is out around 4-7 hours a day just hitting golf balls trying to become a better player.

Thats why Tiger Woods is the Greatest Sportsman at the moment, I say at the moment because you never know what might happen in life but the way hes going it'll not be long before he truly is the Greatest Sportsman Of All Time.

Lance Armstrong. To come back from cancer with limited odds and to go on and win the Tour de France a record 7 times in a row is remarkable. Tiger is good but at the end of the day he hits a ball 200 yards, walks after it, puts it in a hole and moves on but to complete arguebly the most gruelling event in sport with what appeard to be the minimum of ease for Lance Armstrong makes him th best IMO

Hard to argue with you there mate.

Everyone has their own views on who's the best and I've never even heard of some of the sportsmen/women that have been suggested.

However I'd like to say Tiger Woods.

This made me laugh hysterically!

Pele

Maradona

Cruyff

Ali

Tyson

Robinson

Woods

Nicklaus

Borg

McEnroe