Lets get some perspective

ScotBear

A point that Walter himself made in his post match interview........

There were 4 UEFA Cup ties, and we got the best result out of all the home teams.

Leverkusen 1 Zenit 4

Fiorentina 1 PSV 1

Bayern 1 Getafe 1

I think the expectations of some fans are far too high. We have exceeded expectations by getting to this point, by playing Walter's way........yet some still go OTT for me in terms of slating our results and/or tactics. Remember, it's these tactics that have got us to this point where we've won 1 trophy and have 3 still to play for. If Walter had followed the tactics/selections of the moaners we'd have been out on our arse ages ago.

Bayern, Leverkusen, Fiorentina........they'd all love to be in our position. Remember that, there are no easy games at this stage and to not concede at home is often a crucial factor. Panathanaikos surely illustrated that point perfectly, both in terms of the importance of an away goal and how whining fans too often jump the gun.

Good result tonight in my view, and personally I'm quietly confident we'll progress.

Yes, there is a lot of sense in what you say.

Still, there was a lot of tiredness, poor poor play, no pace or creativity on display from RFC tonight.

There were two substitutes available for use and never used.

All in all I suppose things are never as good or as bad as one perceives them to be.

Still it was NO FUN watching that display tonight.

I REALLY hope that we play much better on Sunday

The constant over-reaction by some - as well as the ludicrous and OTT criticism of certain players - is far more disappointing that what was an albeit very poor display last night.

Perspective indeed. With a bit more realism as well please.

Can we stickie this topic so that everyone takes note? I avoided this place as best I could last night as I knew it would be full of moaning, slating and complaining. 0-0 at home is NOT a bad result anymore. We can score over there no problem.

We've got a hard game on Sunday which if we win, will give us a lot of confidence going into the away leg. Let's get behind the team :rangers:

It was a poor display overall last night - and Weir looked empty at the end but 0-0 these days in the first leg is still a creditable result. It is the poorest we have played for a while but we are still in there - and this season has exceeded my expectations, but like many others having got to this position I want to win the lot - (there is no real perspective in that statement - just optomism - LOL. ) Last night we had a bunch of 'Boo Boys' behind us - never seen them before but they booed and critisised the team, the passing, the individuals, the management, right from the word go until after 60 minutes the guy beside me lost it and had a go at them, basically challlenging them to say something positive and reminding them how well we have done this season (He let go with both barrells!!) - the boo boys basically shut up then! I hope the guy did not spoil their night !!! (tounge in cheek)

One season in to Walts rebuilding of le Guens disastrous tenure and we have already claimed one trophy and remain in the frame for another three.

More creative play will come with the type of player we don't really have at Ibrox at this time - so to criticise Rangers at this time for not delivering what we cannot seems like an exercise in banality.

one of those days we will attack teams instead of watching negative tactics every game.

While we went with 4-5-1 again, we did attack Sporting last night. Or at least we tried to - we just had too many players off form to do so effectively.

one of those days we will attack teams instead of watching negative tactics every game.

While we went with 4-5-1 again, we did attack Sporting last night. Or at least we tried to - we just had too many players off form to do so effectively.

frankie 4-5-1 is torture to watch and to be honest its getting on my nerves.

One of these days, we're gonnae get punished for being too cautious.

Sometimes we're too defensive and our lack of real quality means it isn't easy to watch in every game.

However, we're getting results so that's what we need to concentrate on right now. These results means we can improve the team in the summer and we can only hope Smith et al have their eye on a Gascoigne/Laudrup to lift our game as a whole.

People have been saying that all season, but we just keep exceeding expecations.

One of these days we might get punished, but you can't say that would necessarily be because of the system, it may be just because we come up against a good side who perform better than us on the day.

If we had played 4-4-2 and/or played Boyd in europe all season, I reckon we would have been punished beyond repair by this stage. The sad thing is, (and I'm not including you Boab), despite our progress, some fans are just waiting for us to drop out of this competition so that they can stick the boot in to Walter's selections/decisions. Rather than giving him a pat on the back for where it's got us up to this point.

People have been saying that all season, but we just keep exceeding expecations.

One of these days we might get punished, but you can't say that would necessarily be because of the system, it may be just because we come up against a good side who perform better than us on the day.

If we had played 4-4-2 and/or played Boyd in europe all season, I reckon we would have been punished beyond repair by this stage. The sad thing is, (and I'm not including you Boab), despite our progress, some fans are just waiting for us to drop out of this competition so that they can stick the boot in to Walter's selections/decisions. Rather than giving him a pat on the back for where it's got us up to this point.

you are a first class wanker to suggest fans want us to lose. :rolleyes:

Maybe we wouldn't get beat beause of the system but the mentality and system may well end up hindering rather than helping, though the players could be better for the system. I'm not against the 4-5-1 because its not a 4-4-2 as the 4-3-3 is one of my favourite formations but although similiar, they are not the same system as some sometimes try to band together.

I think we could have played 4-4-2 at times in europe or at times of certain games, subs could have been timed better too, but thats not really my point.

I agreed with Badger last night in that though, in reference to your last point, that although I don't want us to lose. Us actually winning is papering over the cracks often, or drawing, whatever. An important loss could invigorate Walter to be different but then other losses havn't. Ala Lyon etc

Thats a bit of an over-reaction minstal... not like you.

You been on some wreck-the-hoose this morning...?

The constant over-reaction by some - as well as the ludicrous and OTT criticism of certain players - is far more disappointing that what was an albeit very poor display last night.

Perspective indeed. With a bit more realism as well please.

I agree Frankie but works both ways. There has been some equally ludicrous over praising of some of our players as well...I think of Kevin Thomson and Steven Davis in particular.

Thats a bit of an over-reaction minstal... not like you.

You been on some wreck-the-hoose this morning...?

hi mate no it was just scotbear saying some fans want us to lose so we can put the boot into walter. every rangers fan wants us to win every game or why bother supporting the club, and if fans are not allowed to criticise if they dont agree with certain systems then whats the sense of forums.

[quote name='minstral' post='2347119'

hi mate no it was just scotbear saying some fans want us to lose so we can put the boot into walter. every rangers fan wants us to win every game or why bother supporting the club, and if fans are not allowed to criticise if they dont agree with certain systems then whats the sense of forums.

hi minstral. ok mate, fair enough, i was just surprised. all the best.

And you are.......well your choice of vocabularly says it all really ;)

I wasn't saying some of our fans want to see us lose. I was saying that if and when we do go out of europe, some fans will immediately react by laying into Walter's decisions, rather than applauding the work he's done to get us to this point.

I knew Sporting would be hard and far too many were getting carried away, but that performance was terrible. Doesn't help that the players looked absolutely knackered.

I'm not too bothered tho, just aslong as it doesn't effect our league commitments.

An important loss could invigorate Walter to be different but then other losses havn't. Ala Lyon etc

What about the Bremen game ? 2-0, could have been more, played some great stuff against a top european side. Surely Walter's team selection was proven to be spot on that night ?

Perhaps we could play a 4-4-2 or a fluid 4-3-3 next season when we have more quality in attacking areas......but for now, I think Walter is getting the best out of the modest tools at his disposal.

I like the 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 as long as you play the right personnel. It's a formation when played with the right players can form an attacking 4-3-3 and is very effective like we saw earlier on in the season. Hibs away is an example!

Add quality and we'd be so much better off.

I'm not against the 4-5-1 formation per se, just against it the way we have been playing it. If we kept the ball on the ground more rather than just consistently lumping it forward on a prayer as we did last night, we could have a lot more success with it. Odds are against you when it's blasted forward to a single player who's much more often than not covered by at least two men.

Fair enough we have done well with how far we have got. There is alot of matches where we have benefited from other teams mistakes. We find it hard to create chances and i think this is why people moan about the 4-5-1 formation.

With 20 mins to go and playings looking tired why did we only make one sub, why darcheville when there were other players looking more tired and playing worse.

i would just like to see us maybe trying for a win at home, even in must win games away from home trying to be a wee bit more positive with our selection maybe playing a pacey/creative winger or central midfielder from time to time